Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my foam trays today. Here are a few comments so far:

Although denser than the GW red stuff, I thought the foam would be denser than it was. I thought it would be closer to dense construction foam. Still pretty good though.

They provide an illustration of what both trays should look like when properly loaded. The illustration is a photocopy, very grainy, and I had to use some deductive techniques to figure out some of the minis. Still it was helpful.

Some of the genestealer minis fit in with little fuss. Others were much trickier. The genestealers claws catch on the 'soft' foam and prevent easy access to and from the foam at times. Stiffer foam would've helped, or slightly larger wells.

I don't care what anyone says... the 'wave rider' genestealer in my set does not fit properly in the well designed for it...at least when the figure is assembled and glued.
I have a solution though...I cut out the bottom of the tray below the well where that particular mini fit it... this gave me about 1/4 " more to play with and still allowed the friction fit to keep the mini in place.

You have to be a civil engineer to get the tiles and extra stuff to fit properly in the bottom tray. I had to assemble some of the corridors and room to conserve space at first, but now I can get them in just barely w/o such measures. I suppose the bottom tray is optional... but you are paying for it.

Some people have the mini tray on the bottom. As only a couple of minis are higher than the top edge of their tray ( and only my a few millimeters ) [except for the waverider] I can see why they might do this. However, by rotating the pieces, and in some case putting them upside down, they can be fit into the wells, except for the wave rider in my set. The upper tray would cushion the bit that lies over the top edge of the tray. The weight of a fully loaded tile tray scares me, and on the bottom it stays.
I prefer to have my mini tray on the top, and the lid still fits nicely over the box. I just won't have any other box sitting on top of the Space Hulk box.

Conclusion:
Am I happy that I bought it. Yes. It keeps the minis safe... and in the same box.

Is it perfect? Nope. Fit and finish could be improved, although the waverider genestealer issue can't really be the fault of the foam manufacturer. It's a weird ass size. With fiddling and modification the trays are still good though.

Is it worth the cash? Depends. Shipping to some parts of the world is expensive I hear. To Canada it wasn't too bad. If you don't use the lower tray, it makes it less of a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The owner demonstrates getting the tiles into the bottom tray in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NuCHnZUBW4&feature=channel_p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just fitting my figures in the tray for the first time and had to come check that early promo youtube video about the tray to realize how to fit them. Mostly, my problem was that I could tell between lightning claws marine and a genestealer (yea the photocopy is that bad) and basically had them switched around.

Other than that, I think they fit where they were needed, didn't have problems with stealers except the claws do stick to the foam partly. Some marines are a bit too close to the surface for my liking, but I'm sure they'll be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah...don't get me wrong... I use the lower tray. The video didn't help me much as I pretty well was doing all the things he suggests anyway. It does all fit, but I had to get rid of all my little baggies I used for bits, as I now had to fit them into crevices and such in order to fit the tray. I may make a little note on paper and leave it in the box for future reloading until I remember how I do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the video! My TetrisFu is weak, so that should help out. I am very happy with the minis tray, and we shall see if I can master the bottom bits tray now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sup. I'm surprised people keep saying they have problems with the "wave rider" genestealer. Maybe I got a lucky one, mine got in just fine.

I can fit everything into the bottom tray... well, minus what I have in the baggies. No biggie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Dre2Dee2 wrote:
Sup. I'm surprised people keep saying they have problems with the "wave rider" genestealer. Maybe I got a lucky one, mine got in just fine.

I can fit everything into the bottom tray... well, minus what I have in the baggies. No biggie.

Yea, mine did as well... No whines from me on the minis tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dre2Dee2 wrote:

In one piece or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One solid wave riding piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had problems getting the wave rider in the foam. His hand sticks well above the top horizon. Easy fix for me though was just to pile the status board and the two books on top of the foam on the other side to hold the box top up with, and the wave rider's hand has been fine since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Palpatine wrote:
I received my foam trays today. Here are a few comments so far:

Although denser than the GW red stuff, I thought the foam would be denser than it was. I thought it would be closer to dense construction foam. Still pretty good though.

They provide an illustration of what both trays should look like when properly loaded. The illustration is a photocopy, very grainy, and I had to use some deductive techniques to figure out some of the minis. Still it was helpful.

Some of the genestealer minis fit in with little fuss. Others were much trickier. The genestealers claws catch on the 'soft' foam and prevent easy access to and from the foam at times. Stiffer foam would've helped, or slightly larger wells.

I don't care what anyone says... the 'wave rider' genestealer does not fit properly in the well designed for it...at least when the figure is assembled and glued.
I have a solution though...I cut out the bottom of the tray below the well where that particular mini fit it... this gave me about 1/4 " more to play with and still allowed the friction fit to keep the mini in place.

You have to be a civil engineer to get the tiles and extra stuff to fit properly in the bottom tray. I had to assemble some of the corridors and room to conserve space. I suppose the bottom tray is optional... but you are playing for it.

Some people have the mini tray on the bottom. As only a couple of minis are higher than the top edge of their tray ( and only my a few millimeters ) [except for the waverider] I can see why they might do this. The upper tray would cushion the bit that lies over the top edge of the tray. The weight of a fully loaded tile tray scares me, and on the bottom it stays.
I prefer to have my mini tray on the top, and the lid still fits nicely over the box. I just won't have any other box sitting on top of the Space Hulk box.

Conclusion:
Am I happy that I bought it. Yes. It keeps the minis safe... and in the same box.

Is it perfect? Nope. Fit and finish could be improved, although the waverider genestealer issue can't really be the fault of the foam manufacturer. It's a weird ass size. With fiddling and modification the trays are still good though.

Is it worth the cash? Depends. Shipping to some parts of the world is expensive I hear. To Canada it wasn't too bad. If you don't use the lower tray, it makes it less of a good deal.

Agree with ALL your points. It's a good product, although it has a few issues that keep it from being a great product:
1. photocopy of which figure goes where is difficult to see
2. had several mini's with 'fit' issues - both marines and genestealers. I would've REALLY liked if some of the holes were 3-5 mm wider.
3. tiles in the bottom tray is a puzzle to fit all
4. have several mini's that stick out above the top of the foam no matter how I twist and turn them.
5. Because of #4, I'm going back and forth as to whether the mini's should be on bottom, and pushed against the soft(er) foam of the tile tray, or if the tile tray is too heavy, having the mini's push against the box top.

Again, it's not perfect, and I had hoped for a little bigger holes, but it's definitely better than loose figures. A few tweaks to their design and they will have an outstanding product. Lest I sound too negative, let me reiterate: I'm much happier with my figures protected in this than any other solution that I'm aware of.

I plan to talk with battlefoam about all this; we'll see what they say. They were friendly enough when I talked with them before. (Battlefoam, if you read this, feel free to pm or email me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did shipping take for y'all? It's been a week since I ordered and have yet to receive a tracking number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
International shipping is $2 more expensive than the trays themselves...

That counts me out. I love the idea of the trays but postage that expensive is ludicrous. I do realise that this is not entirely Battlefoam's fault, it's more to do with the insane International postal service providers...angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
I considered the battle foam but it would cost me $45 shipped and after seeing the fuss and time involved to set it up it seemed not worth it. I just keep the minis in a 4*6*2 box I had laying around that probably was meant for cigars or something. The minis fit tight enough that they don't move around at all and I'm certain they won't scratch or break. I dont have to worry about how I put them in as long as I put the biggest one in first they all fit nice, quick and easily. It leaves enough room in the actual game box that the rest of the components are a breeze to fit in along side there after. The best part is the box looks sweet too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any experience with the other foam tray pictured in the gallery? I wonder how things are set up differently in the minis tray. It sounds like the "bits" tray is a little more organized...any thoughts? I am torn between the two. I need to order 2 sets anyway (one for me, one for a gift), and am having a hard time justifying the extra $$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:

That counts me out. I love the idea of the trays but postage that expensive is ludicrous. I do realise that this is not entirely Battlefoam's fault, it's more to do with the insane International postal service providers...angry

Well, it's the same price as a set plus $2 per set, so making a group order is the way forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Well, it's the same price as a set plus $2 per set, so making a group order is the way forward.

That's OK if you have a group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but those are the breaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my Battlefoam yesterday. I too have an issue with the Genestealer "waverider" and tried twice to get the other contents to fit with no luck. I gave up in frustration. My concern is that I don't want to be at a friends house wasting time trying to figure out how to put the game into its box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my sets today.

Mr. Waverider does not fit. I should take a picture along the top edge of the tray to show his hand sticking out about 5-6mm.

However, I think I can fix by hollowing out that particular well, as Palpatine has indicated he did as well.

I live in fear of my 'stealers losing claws as they go in and out of the tray, but other than that I'm quite happy with the product. Yes it's a little pricy but damn it's nice not to worry about the minis shifting around.

I look forward to puzzling out how the bits will fit in the second tray. I actually am a civil engineer so I expect it'll be a breeze.

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I have fitted the waverider into the tray by inserting the model diagonally rear-first with the "wave" part diagonally to the right rather than to the left [about 30 degrees] The figure's claws still protrude 2mm or so above the surface, but it's better than taking it apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.