Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the game in to work today, where I and a friend played both of our first 2P games of BattleLore (well, technically, it was his first game ever; I'd played 3 solo games to learn the rules). We decided we'd start with Agincourt, like the game suggests.He took the English, I took the French.

I started out with no cards for orders. I had two Counterattacks, a Foot Onslaught, and a Mounted Charge. Luckily, he went first, so I could burn a Counterattack on his first order.

He lined up his archers on his first turn and then played an early Darken the Skies card that didn't do quite as much as he hoped... though he managed to bring the red cav on my right down to just the banner carrier. For lack of other good options (I didn't want to use my Mounted Charge until my horses were in range, and I wasn't getting the cards I'd need to move them up), I countered his Darken the Skies, allowing my single archer troop to take a shot. Dire cards, indeed.

So my guys sorta ambled up the table, weathering attacks from the arrows. Another Darken the Skies popped out before I could kill off his archers. My own archers were relegated to support duty as my first troops of footmen reached the enemy forces. I managed to line up my cavalry, and in one Mounted Charge took two banners (two unit kills by a single cav unit, even, thanks to Pursuit!).

The session ended with a French victory, 4-2. We both agreed that we must do this again... though to be fair, my opponent declared that he was really digging the game after about Turn 2!

We both enjoyed the randomness and chaos, but we also enjoyed that there was strategy involved in using the available orders without breaking formations and screwing up our plans. Retreat and Battle-Back have huge effects on the battle-flow, and we found that to be a lot of fun. It was like being the field commander for a medieval battle, with weird orders coming in from the generals who are far away from the battle, and having to make up for the chaos caused by morale loss and the randomness of battle. All in a game that we managed to set up and play in an hour, even while teaching the game to a new player!

Major points from myself and my opponent, and we're both looking forward to playing First Chevaulier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your approach. It sounds like you are both really savoring your first game of BattleLore.

As the French player, I think those starting cards you had sound great! You could use the counter attacks to mirror and adjust your lines first, then get two more cards. You would still have the foot onslaught which is a great card for the French in that scenario for getting up in the face of those English bowmen early. And then you had the mounted charge in your back pocket to bring out at an opportune time. I'm not surprised that you won 4-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.