The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm in my early 40s and have been around the gaming block once or twice. Heck, I used to work in a game store in college. Back then, when 1st edition Space Hulk came out, I bought all the gear and expansions. It was the game that hit the table the most often. We even played 3 player triple blind games with a GM to tell each player what he saw on his individual board. Space Hulk was our game!

Also, this was the late 80s and early 90's. This was the time I consider the Golden Age of Games Workshop. This was when they came out with some of their greatest games: Space Hulk, Man O' War, Space Marine, Warhammer Quest, Fury of Dracula, and tons more.

This was also when they first started moving Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40K out of a standalone book and into the big box editions with plastic starter armies.

And of course, I bought it all. Easy access to new releases and an employee discount - a dangerous combo.

Then, I got kinda bored with the whole Games Workshop scene. It all started to homogenize for me. I also got sidetracked with my own game design career and didn't have time to play GW anymore. Then I got married and had kids. So, goodbye expendable time and money.

And then... then this goddamn new edition of Space Hulk comes out, and it's turned my life upside down.

I painted my Marines last Saturday. All day Saturday. I'll probably start on the Stealers tonight. I haven't painted a figure in 15 years.

I lurk in the Space Hulk forums, providing rules advice and compiling charts of rules differences.

And last night, well, last night I took all those old Warhammer 40K boxes off the shelf. And I'm thinking maybe I need to pick up the 5th edition starter set.

My kids are older now. They can play, too. We can each build our own armies. I can help them pick out the models and paint them. We can build a cool big game table in the basement. The weather is turning. We'll need something to do while the snow is flying.

And you know, model terrain has gotten really awesome in the past 15 years. Look at the variety! And the quality of everything is just... tremendous! And wow look at those Gale Force Nine accessories. I need those!

But it is all a lot more expensive now.... Well, heck, it was always expensive. And I make more money than I did back then. I can afford it. Sure I can.

Uh oh.

Yep, just as I feared. The new Space Hulk is a gateway drug.

Or maybe I'm just in a midlife crisis. Hmmmm... There's a thought. Well, this is healthier than a sports car and a young gold digger. My wife and kids will appreciate that as well.

Yeah. I'm fine. No problems here.

Nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must... have... crack... Space Hulk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs to you, sir! Good luck getting your kids into it! And I have to ask, what do you really think of Tate Forcier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
Thumbs to you, sir! Good luck getting your kids into it! And I have to ask, what do you really think of Tate Forcier?

Holy CRAP he's going to be the second coming.

I dunno how they do it, but Michigan has an amazing knack for grabbing all-star quarterbacks. Except for that Tom Brady guy.

Of course, anything will be better than last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
So, I'm in my early 40s and have been around the gaming block once or twice. Heck, I used to work in a game store in college. Back then, when 1st edition Space Hulk came out, I bought all the gear and expansions. It was the game that hit the table the most often. We even played 3 player triple blind games with a GM to tell each player what he saw on his individual board. Space Hulk was our game!

Wow, I want to hear more about this "triple blind game"!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
Also, this was the late 80s and early 90's. This was the time I consider the Golden Age of Games Workshop. This was when they came out with some of their greatest games: Space Hulk, Man O' War, Space Marine, Warhammer Quest, Fury of Dracula, and tons more.

This was the Golden Age of Games Workshop boardgames. Don't forget Talisman, Chainsaw Warrior, HeroQuest, Space Crusade or even the gem known as Block Mania!

Love the GW boardgames (was never too keen on the mini-games).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
wittdooley wrote:

Holy CRAP he's going to be the second coming.

I dunno how they do it, but Michigan has an amazing knack for grabbing all-star quarterbacks. Except for that Tom Brady guy.

Of course, anything will be better than last year!

That's what a lot of my friends that live in Ann Arbor say; he's good, but some people have gone overboard. I think he's looked better than my boy (Pryor) by miles so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Wow, I want to hear more about this "triple blind game"!

OK, imagine this. In each of three separate rooms sits a player with an exact copy of the same Space Hulk board.

Player 1 - Space Marine Squad A
Player 2 - Space Marine Squad B (or, usually an Imperial Guard Squad)
Player 3 - Genestealers

The 4th participant is a game master, who is the only one who knows the scenario and the starting locations of each player.

Total fog of war. There are no blips. No communication between the "good guys." No one knows which game board edges are Stealer entry areas (until they are explored). The Stealer doesn't know that the Marine and Guard squad objectives are (they are often different). The Marine and Guard players don't know where their objectives are.

Players take turns moving their pieces as normal. But the GM is constantly updating the board of each players as models go in and out his force's LOS.

Pure, concentrated awesomesauce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
This was the Golden Age of Games Workshop boardgames. Don't forget Talisman, Chainsaw Warrior, HeroQuest, Space Crusade or even the gem known as Block Mania!

Block Mania is a great game. Don't forget Chaos Marauders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pure, unconcentrated awesomesauce.

Unconcentrated? So this is weaker than a potentially more potent 'pure, concentrated awesomesauce'.

Now one must attempt to figure out how to concentrate this pure awesomesauce in order to achieve paragon Space Hulk gaming...

My money's on playing it real-time...

Though I can't help but feel for that Poor GM...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the exact same way - I'm itching to get my old 40k armies out now and finish up some of them that fell by the wayside. Do some conversions, get some games going... MORE MORE MORE. Ahem. Maybe there should be some planned interventions for some of us that buy Space Hulk and clamor for the good old GW days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now I want to buy a third SH copy! I'm just curious, how do the marines know where to go, if they don't know what their objectives are? That seems pretty critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savantt wrote:
Quote:
Pure, unconcentrated awesomesauce.

Unconcentrated? So this is weaker than a potentially more potent 'pure, concentrated awesomesauce'.

Now one must attempt to figure out how to concentrate this pure awesomesauce in order to achieve paragon Space Hulk gaming...

My money's on playing it real-time...

Though I can't help but feel for that Poor GM...

D'oh! Fixed.

Yeah, the GM must be in top physical condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets hope there are some more SH fixes on route. SH had the same effect on me 20yrs ago. It seems a shame GW aren't going to expand it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
Wow, now I want to buy a third SH copy! I'm just curious, how do the marines know where to go, if they don't know what their objectives are? That seems pretty critical.

They know what their objectives are, just not where they are. They gotta go exploring. With the whole board in front of you, you could usually guess at a few places. Unless the GM was being a particular bastard that game.

We even played once where the board was built as we played. Took forever. And it ruled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Blackburn
Australia
flag msg tools
Exactly the same for me. Haven't been into a GW shop in ten years or more, but here I am painting miniatures and teaching my three year old the differences between an AC and a flamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You've forgotten the other two behemoths of the GW golden period, Adeptus Titanicus and Blood Bowl 2nd Ed. Grey styrofoam pitch of awesomeness. Oh yeah, and Kings and Things was a great game too. But your right Space Hulk is a great gateway game. I just played a simplified version with my 4 year old and he loved it....He also kicked my butt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Oh man epic and the titan legions! what a game! epic40k or armageddon didn't come close imo.
i DID love the rehash of space fleet (BFG) but i do have to admit the new space hulk has got me buying termis and genestealers etc, i'm even planning on creating some genestealer hybrids out of the stealer box and the guard box.
i got the terminator chaplain the other weekend too, he's HUGE. a bit out of scale to the other guys tbh but still looks kewl.
just need to dig out rules for a crozius arcanum now.

played a game with my 6yo son and he's already hooked, we're going to have regular games now, of course i helped him and didn't use the jam rules but he had loads of fun.

i have however uber promised myself i won't be getting involved in any new game systems, i lost touch with 40k after 3rd ed came out and i don't fancy having to field HUGE armies like this apocolypse stuff. my brettonians are slumbering with the lady of the lake from 4th ed as are my undead armies because tbh i won't update them i was happy as they were.

now i play necromunda with friends and we're playing space hulk, everyones dug out some models to paint from our dusty collections, i reckon i may get some more models but no systems no sir, plus SWMBO would divorce me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Canales
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you're jonesing for a minis sci fi game, I recommend AT-43. Not only does it scratch that itch, it's cheaper than 40K and the models are prepainted. The armies and universe are quite original too.

I've played both 40K and AT-43 and find AT much better overall. Heck, it's so cheap right now, you can almost get inot both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very surprised not to find a catalog or promo material in my box for WH or 40k. In either my Hero Quest or Battle Masters Box as a kid there was a beautiful full color catalog which I ogled for weeks. This was my only contact with Space Hulk and WH as a kid and now I spend more time on this board than I do with my kids...

Anyway, if this were truly a gateway drug I would expect a little more promoting than a web address on a box. I know its the 21st century and all and that if you had never heard of Space Hulk or 40k in the first place you probably won't get your hands on space hulk, but I a simple catalog full of painted minis on a battlefield could have gone a long way to bring in new players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Quest was my gateway game when I was 11 yrs old. I was young and penniless so GW had no way of getting anything out of me.

I had never heard of Space Hulk until around 9 months ago. Hell, only found the Geek a year ago. When I saw a post about a new edition being released I checked it out, thought about it for about a week, and then parted with the $100 to pre-order it.

When it arrived I spent 2 afternoons carefully clipping the sprues and cleaning up the minis with an exacto knife. Played my first game of it 2 days later. Ever since I scour the Geek and a ton of a other sites for info regarding everything from custom missions to painting minis (I have never painted any before).

It gets worse...I am now seriously considering getting the Assault on Black Reach starter. I feel like going down and talking to the Warhammer players at my FLGS that I try not to make eye contact with when I am there getting games.

I have a 14 month old daughter, and I and my fiance plan on having more. I dream of days when I will be able to introduce her and any of my other potential kids to Hero Quest and all that follows. For the first time I see a large tabletop with vast armies and terrain on it, something that isn't HeroScape (though I do love HeroScape). I am both excited and scared at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
Well, this is healthier than a sports car and a young gold digger. My wife and kids will appreciate that as well.

I'm still in my early 30's so no mid-life for me yet but that's what I tell my wife, that I would be too busy to cheat on her. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.