Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i'll be going to asia on an upcoming vk, i've been to a plethora of countries and cities in asia b4, but this will be my first time in seoul. my wife has been b4 and speaks korean, but really has never been a tourist there.

i'm looking for any recommendations on fun stuff to do, or must see sites in korea. we'll be there for about a week, aside from ordering Jajangmyun and having it delivered to our door and then having someone come back later to pickup the bowl...we're pretty open.

thx for any advice. note, i'm not necessarily looking for games/gaming/gamers ;-)

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vk?
b4?
thx?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
vk?
b4?
thx?

it R txt shorthand!!1!one!
kthxbai.

edit: I should have noted, I've never been. I think I'd be more interested in eating than touring though. Mmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ihnbtK! sry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
vk?
b4?
thx?

vk: vacation/holiday(if u will)
b4: before
thx: thanks/thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of Seoul: it's just another megalopolis. Tom Vasel is in range, though.

Cool neighbourhoods:
Insa-dong
Dae-hahng-ro
S(h)inchon & Hongdae are the places to go on Fri/Sat nights. S(h)inchon has a pretty freaky (weird, not kinky) sex museum that's open late for fun couples on dates. Behind the big (Lotte?) department store.
The market at Dongdaemoon is kickass after midnight.

Outside Seoul, the leaves may be starting to turn at Wolaksan & Soraksan national parks, both of which have stunning hiking.

What I really recommend is that you get on the KTX to Daegu, then a regular train down to Gyeongju. Is is mainland Korea's jewel, and well worth a 2-day stay. Rent bikes and ride around the (flat) city, which is really an outdoor museum of neolithic Korea. The mound tombs are breathtaking. Nearby (by bus) are Haeinsa Temple and Seokkulam grotto, with a huge, gorgeous Buddha statue.

Wherever you do stay, you should know that the best, cheapest places to stay are the Love Hotels: they look like fairy castles, appear seedy (but the good ones aren't) and are clustered around transport hubs. Outside Seoul, you're looking at $80/night for a 5-room suite with widescreen plasma tv, free movies & internet so fast you'll think you've jacked in, your own jacuzzi, marble fixtures, etc. Staying in a pretty basic (if immaculate) room at a Hyatt or Intercontinental will cost you $250. Minbaks (traditional Korean inns with floormat beds, no amenities, and lots of atmosphere) cost around $40.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto

Feel free to GM me if you have other Qs, and enjoy your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Seoul: it's just another megalopolis. Tom Vasel is in range, though.

Cool neighbourhoods:
Insa-dong
Dae-hahng-ro
S(h)inchon & Hongdae are the places to go on Fri/Sat nights. S(h)inchon has a pretty freaky (weird, not kinky) sex museum that's open late for fun couples on dates. Behind the big (Lotte?) department store.
The market at Dongdaemoon is kickass after midnight.

Outside Seoul, the leaves may be starting to turn at Wolaksan & Soraksan national parks, both of which have stunning hiking.

What I really recommend is that you get on the KTX to Daegu, then a regular train down to Gyeongju. Is is mainland Korea's jewel, and well worth a 2-day stay. Rent bikes and ride around the (flat) city, which is really an outdoor museum of neolithic Korea. The mound tombs are breathtaking. Nearby (by bus) are Haeinsa Temple and Seokkulam grotto, with a huge, gorgeous Buddha statue.

Wherever you do stay, you should know that the best, cheapest places to stay are the Love Hotels: they look like fairy castles, appear seedy (but the good ones aren't) and are clustered around transport hubs. Outside Seoul, you're looking at $80/night for a 5-room suite with widescreen plasma tv, free movies & internet so fast you'll think you've jacked in, your own jacuzzi, marble fixtures, etc. Staying in a pretty basic (if immaculate) room at a Hyatt or Intercontinental will cost you $250. Minbaks (traditional Korean inns with floormat beds, no amenities, and lots of atmosphere) cost around $40.

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto

Feel free to GM me if you have other Qs, and enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the info! We tend to like cities, but will be going for a hike, as that seems to be the thing to do. We'll be staying in some downtown district at one of my inlaws friends appartments but thanks for the hotel info, we may stay one night else where.
I may have more questions as the trip get's closer.

Thanks again.
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.