Popular Tags: Wargame [+] history [+] [View All]
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone looking at the Twenty Decisive Battles of the World series? I just got the Autumn 2009 "newsgram" with descriptions of the first four titles:

The Battle of Stalingrad, Joan of Arc's Victory by Andy Nunez, The Battle of Tours by Richard Berg, and Poltava's Dread Day by Jason Juneau. (I didn't see a designer's credit for the Battle of Stalingrad in the e-mail.)

The website looks like it's still under construction here: http://www.turningpointsimulations.com/

And the e-mail gave a Consimworld link: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd16c7a/0

It looks like an interesting series and I haven't seen any discussion of it here at BGG. Anyone considering it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. I read your subject line, and had hoped for a discussion on the best fistfights in baseball championship games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SOunds interesting....I willhave to look into the series a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same email.
sounds like an interesting concept. However, the email didn't give and "actionables". Like, how much they would cost and with what kind of subscription deal. They'll have to do a far better job of marketing to get it off the ground.
Plus, an ancient/medieval game (my favorite genre) by Richard Berg (my least fav designer for that genre) doesn't exite me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stosser44 wrote:
I got the same email.
sounds like an interesting concept. However, the email didn't give and "actionables". Like, how much they would cost and with what kind of subscription deal.

Maybe we received different e-mails. Mine had the following paragraph near the end:

Sales at Turning Point Simulations wrote:
Individual games in this series will retail for around $27.00/$36.00/$45.00 (that price INCLUDES shipping!) for USA/Canada/International residents. Of course we will be offering the entire collection at a good discount for those that order them all up front in advance, plus such buyers will receive a bonus 21st game on a battle not featured in the book, but potentially the most “decisive battle of all time.” Prices for the entire series will be around $425.00/$550.00/$650.00 (again that price includes shipping) for USA/Canada/International residents, but wait for our new website to be up and running so you can order our games securely.

Edit: LeeDambis beat me to the punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Crap. I read your subject line, and had hoped for a discussion on the best fistfights in baseball championship games.

I was thinking more like Dennis Eckersley v. Kirk Gibson, 1988, or Mitch Williams v. Joe Carter, 1993.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have had several chats with Steve Rawling of ATO at HMGS cons about this series, and have seen some preliminary art.

Steve was asking for input on two different board types (traditional mounted board or very heavy card, something like "old" AH's CIV).

One thing about the series: some of the battles covered will be treated at the "battle" level (Hastings is one). Others will be simulated at the "campaign" scale.

I've no idea what the 21st title might be, though looking at the "classic" 20 list from the book, one can find an obvious omission or three.

In terms of physical treatment, I'd say that the price is reasonable for what will be provided.

The games are geared for relatively fast play, for wargames--two hours or under, for most, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.