Popular Tags: [View All]
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just reading the very amusing I hate it, I hate it, I hate it thread, and came across the following entry:

Quote:
***THIS RATING USED TO BE A 9.5, but VALLEY GAMES screwed me over so badly with my preorder I don't even want to play it anymore. I got the game 3 days short of 9 months after i was charged.

That got me thinking. It would really be nice to be able to separate the ratings for games and their publishers. Many games have been given low ratings due to an intense dislike for their publishers. I'm sure that the ratings system does its best to factor out that stuff, but it can be confusing to readers, especially if the rating doesn't have an explanatory comment.

A side effect of this would be that you would be able to see what people think of the publishers before say, pre-ordering a game. Or even just buying their stuff from a retailer. I never hesitate to buy anything from FFG, Rio Grande, Z-Man Games or Days of Wonder due to very positive experiences dealing with them. It would be nice to be able to share these (or any negatives) in the form of ratings. There could just be one all-encompassing rating like for games, or categories like:

* Quality of components
* Reasonable pricing
* Customer Service
* Handling of Pre-orders
* Delivery time

On a similar line of thinking, ratings for online game stores would also be helpful. But that's getting a little ahead of myself, and I'm not sure what any possible legal issues might be (if, for example, someone were unhappy about their rating).

Anyway, that's my suggestion for the day. I have too much free time on my hands lately. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
On a similar line of thinking, ratings for online game stores would also be helpful.

And detrimental to the profit base of this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
clloyd09 wrote:
On a similar line of thinking, ratings for online game stores would also be helpful.

Really? I'd think that reputable stores would want everyone to see their ratings and feel comfortable ordering from them. It's easy to find negative threads about a particular store, but more rare to find threads praising them.

Anyway, that was a secondary part of my post. The main issue was adding ratings for publishers, which would (I'd think) be easier anyway as much of that data already exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
clloyd09 wrote:

Really? I'd think that reputable stores would want everyone to see their ratings and feel comfortable ordering from them. It's easy to find negative threads about a particular store, but more rare to find threads praising them.

Anyway, that was a secondary part of my post. The main issue was adding ratings for publishers, which would (I'd think) be easier anyway as much of that data already exists.

Imagine a publisher trying to please everyone on BGG. Impossible. No matter what you do, there is no way that someone won't be pissed at a decision you made. Miss a publish date, through no fault of your own? Too bad. Gave away bonuses to those at Essen, but no one else? too bad. Print a colour that someone doesn't like? Too bad. Didn't print in Italian, Chinese, Arabic and Pashtun? Too bad.

Then imagine getting ranked on it. If you thought game rankings were arbitrary, wait until this comes around. Why not rank designers and artists too... because it's too personal. Bad idea, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so should we delete any possible offending forum posts as well?
I respect your opinion, but I think you're a little over-the-top on your response. "Print a color that someone doesn't like?..." Really?

I happen to think that game ratings aren't arbitrary. Sure, some individual ratings are, but aggregated I think they paint a fairly accurate picture.

Quote:
... imagine getting ranked on it...

Wow. I can't imagine getting graded on how you perform your job.
And I never said anything about designers and artists, but thanks for trying to confuse the issue.

Maybe it's not a good business decision to implement for BGG, but I don't buy the "unfair" cries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
OK, so should we delete any possible offending forum posts as well?
I respect your opinion, but I think you're a little over-the-top on your response. "Print a color that someone doesn't like?..." Really?

I happen to think that game ratings aren't arbitrary. Sure, some individual ratings are, but aggregated I think they paint a fairly accurate picture.

Quote:
... imagine getting ranked on it...

Wow. I can't imagine getting graded on how you perform your job.
And I never said anything about designers and artists, but thanks for trying to confuse the issue.

Maybe it's not a good business decision to implement for BGG, but I don't buy the "unfair" cries.

I was being factitious about the colour comment, but the hyperbole was there to show that anyone could justify their grade. I wish that everyone would be able to provide objective, critical grades for publishers, but the internet is what it is... Look at Winsome Games or Eagle/Funagain. How many "1"s do you think they would have received in the last year, purely because of the contract issues they're having (or had) with Wallace.

Imagine getting ranked for your personal job performance on a public website. By the customers. Sure, this happens every second, for any medium or large company in the world, hardly a 10 or less employee company, which applies to many of our favourite publishers. I'm not saying they should be above criticism, but I'd say grading would do more harm than good.

I was pointing out that designers, artists, and publishers are all just as likely to have personal, highly subjective comments and grades associated with their work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
I wish that everyone would be able to provide objective, critical grades for publishers, but the internet is what it is... Look at Winsome Games or Eagle/Funagain.

True. I tend to be a bit of an optimist when thinking how people would rate companies, but you're right about the internet.

Kestril wrote:
I'm not saying they should be above criticism, but I'd say grading would do more harm than good.

Again, good point. You may be right, although I admit I have no idea. I was just looking for a way to separate the publisher from the game. Too bad, as I'd really like to see companies doing things the right way get their props for it. Can we give thumbs to publisher pages??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments about publishers can be made now using the Forum.

Each publisher in the BGG database can be "rated" using this method with in-depth commentary which is then open to discussion.

If any Geek is curious about the reputation of publisher X.Y.Z. he or she can go the publisher's home page here on BGG and read all about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Too bad, as I'd really like to see companies doing things the right way get their props for it. Can we give thumbs to publisher pages??

That wouldn't be bad idea at all.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.