Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 2-players and the Marketplace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a few games of Le Havre with only two players. Does anyone else find that the first few rounds are a "race" to build/buy the craft buildings in order to mitigate the influence of the Marketplace? It seems that if either player allows his opponent to dominate the craft buildings, he/she will quickly fall behind in the resource race. Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is true with more than 2 players as well. It is not the only early-game pattern, but it reliably must be watched.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
This is true with more than 2 players as well. It is not the only early-game pattern, but it reliably must be watched.


But with three players it seems as if the craft buildings "naturally" distribute evenly enough to prevent one player from gaining a significant advantage. The two player game is obviously more dichotomous. "If I don't own it, my only opponent does."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players it's even worse: the whole game is a race to build many buildings and don't fall too far behind your opponent. Building is much more important in 2-player than multi-player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
With 2 players it's even worse: the whole game is a race to build many buildings and don't fall too far behind your opponent. Building is much more important in 2-player than multi-player.


Your point is well-taken. But if you don't build craft buildings early, your opponent will be able to exploit the marketplace for a wide variety of resources (including generally hard to find coal in the early rounds).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cyclone85 wrote:
But if you don't build craft buildings early, your opponent will be able to exploit the marketplace for a wide variety of resources (including generally hard to find coal in the early rounds).


Oh, I didn't say differently. I say it's even worse. It's not enough to get the Craft buildings early, it's important to get many buildings at all. If your opponent stops building after getting many Craft symbols, he'll definitely lose - regardless of his number of Craft symbols.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I appreciate your comments.

Play on!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.