Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete is an excellent player. It's a real challenge to play him. This is a delayed, pulse by pulse recap of a game which we recently commenced by PBEM on VASSAL. Updates will be periodically posted.

T1: USA (Dave) allocation: East 1, TM 2, West 3 ; CP's 53222

CSA (Pete) allocation: East 1, TM 2, West 3 ; CP's 5322

Pulse 1: USA 2+ Dice Difference (DD):1 SP Washington; move SP Pittsburgh to Grafton; rail 1 SP Springfield, IL to Rolla. CSA: AS Johnston moves to join Price; 1 SP to New Orleans.

Pulse 2: CSA 4+ DD: 1 SP Memphis; create AoW under AS Johnston,and ANV under Beauregard. USA: 1 SP in Rolla to Springfield, MO; rail 1 SP Springfield, IL to Rolla; create AoP in Washington.

Next, a tie roll at 6 is 63213 more in CP's. As file 7 ends, CSA gets 2+ DD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(cont.)

T1, pulse 3: CSA 2+ DD: 2 SP's to AoW; Bragg to AoW (probably not Pete's first choice). When playing PBEM, we ignore the Unrevealed Leader rule.
USA: 1 Sp by rail Indianapolis to Rolla; 1 SP Rolla to Springfield, MO.

Pulse 4: CSA 2+ DD: Jackson to AoW; 1 SP to ANV; 1 SP 1813-1412.
USA: 1 SP Rolla to Springfield, MO; 1 SP by rail Indianapolis to Rolla.

Pulse 5: USA 3+ DD: 1 SP to AoP; 1 SP by rail Columbus, OH to Rolla;1 SP Rolla to Springfield, MO; 1 SP Parkersburg to Charleston, WV.
CSA: J Johnston to ANV; Jackson with 2 SP's from AoW to 1007.

I am happy with the Union development. WV is in Union hands, and Lyon has gathered 5 SP's to defend Springfield. Noting that, Pete improvises by sending Jackson to threaten Lexington, MO instead. He takes advantage of a chance to get a flip/flop, giving Jackson possible back-to-back moves.

Pulse 6: CSA 3+ DD: 1 SP Memphis; Jackson attacks Lexington- USA 1 SP cannot retreat due to navigable river, and is elim. USA depot is elim. Jackson is promoted, but his force was out of supply (OOS) and is demoralized (DM). EK Smith to ANV.
USA: Lyon to Ft. Scott with 2 SP's. 1 SP Harrisburg to Harper's Ferry (5004).

CSA has only 2 Disc CP's and no TM CP's left, so Springfield, MO seems to be safely in Union hands. If Lyon can hit Jackson, he is DM and cannot retreat across the river (but we are using an optional non-army leader reaction rule). Gaining MO and WV the first turn would be a major coup. So, the next initiative roll was tied at 12. Additional CP's are 54231.

Pulse 7: USA 1+ DD: get Foote in Cairo, McClellan moves alone to 5004.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(cont.)

T1, pulse 7: CSA 1 SP 1412 -1011.

Pulse 8: CSA 3+ DD: draws Stuart to AoW; AoW attacks Springfield, MO . We are using KG Bast’s variant leader system. One effect is that AS Johnston has 1 reroll for attack only, and JE Johnston has 1 reroll for defense only. Reroll of USA die --- a 6 becomes a 1. USA suffers a DM, and must vacate Springfield for 1210. Stuart is promoted.
USA: 2 to enter navy; 1 SP to AoP.

With the turn of events, the CSA has 2 cities in MO, and there appears to be no chance for a USA first turn conversion. Entering the navy, as miniscule as it is, should cause concern for the CSA player. He is well aware of the threats of even small naval forces, early in the game.

Pulse 9: CSA 3+ DD: Longstreet to ANV; 2 SP’s at 4905 march to join ANV; Huger to his usual command at Bonham.
USA: Lyon to Lexington to attack Jackson; 1 SP to AoP. Since we are using non-army leader reaction, the astute player will note that the US could have first moved the river transport to cut off movement across the Missouri River. A non-army leader has a reaction radius comprised of the hex he occupies. Jackson would be unable to retreat across the navigable river; he may be able to react across. If he does, he is still OOS, DM, and far from home. The US player decided to keep the transport in Cairo. Jackson reacted to 1105.

Pulse 10: CSA 2+ DD: Hardee to ANV; enters SP’s at Wilmington and New Bern.
USA: Creates AoJ (Army of the Shenandoah, for now) at 5004.

Pulse 11: CSA 2+ DD: Continually winning the initiative has taken its toll, and the South is out of reinforcements and new leaders. Jackson moves his 2 SP’s from 1105 to 1108.
USA: 1 SP from Lexington to Ft. Scott; Lyon to AoP.

Pulse 12: CSA 4+ DD: Build fort in New Orleans; SP moves 4507- Staunton. Once WV is converted, that Reb SP wouldn’t be able to move without a leader.
USA: 1 SP moves from Philadelphia to AoP; build fortress in Washington.

Pulse 13: CSA 6+ DD, the sixth straight CSA initiative win: 1 SP by rail Nashville to 2213; Beauregard to 2213; build fort at Wilmington; SP moves from 2113 to 2213.
USA: The CSA player has made a rare mistake; Stuart is off in the TM and the ANV has a 3 initiative leader with no cavalry. The AoP, with Lyon aboard, moves across the Potomac with 11 SP’s to 5106 (Alexandria/Arlington) and then on to 5107. If JE Johnston can react, there will likely be a battle in 5107. We are playing “the red tape rule,” whereby McDowell can command Lyon and 5 more SP’s to attack/overrun, for a total of 7 SP’s to attack with. However, the USA player elects to not draw another leader to AoP, from the “rich” leader pool. Johnston fails to react, and the AoP moves on to attack Fredericksburg, leaving 1 SP behind in 5107. Without red tape, it would be an overrun on Fredericksburg, but the rule forces the players to use more leaders or suffer the consequences of an insufficient command structure. The 1 SP at Fredericksburg is elim, and the heroic Lyon earns a promotion. With the remaining 3 DD, the USA player takes 1 SP, rails 1 SP from Columbus, OH, and moves 1 SP from Baltimore, all to Washington.

I neglected to mention that we are not using the automatic promotion system; rather, players must roll for leader loss & promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff...I am just learning this in a FTF game, so this will be of great assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind comment. This is a complex game and there is a learning curve involved.

(cont.)

Pulse 14: CSA 3+: Faced with the AoP suddenly on its flank, the ANV pulls back to 5009.
USA: I looked at this for awhile. McClellan to Strasburg, by way of 4804. Rebs have just 3 CP’s left in the East. The only way that ANV can hit McClellan in one pulse would be via a mountain gap hexside. Any move north by the ANV would place it in a tenuous supply situation, with a 3 initiative leader. When deciding on a placement hex, be mindful that the force may be stuck there for a heckuva long time. Look for hexes that offer maximum flexibility for ensuing moves.

Pulse 15: CSA 4+: Build fort in Richmond; SP in Staunton to ANV.
USA: Sealift 1 SP in Philadelphia, and 1 in Washington to Ft. Monroe; 2 SP’s in Cairo.

Pulse 16: CSA 1+: Stuart from AoW to ANV.
USA: Buell enters at Cairo.

Pulse 17: CSA 3+: CSA keeps winning every initiative roll; not that it really helps. 1 SP Memphis to 1917. CSA is out of CP’s.
USA: Create AoT at Cairo; add 1 SP to AoT.

Pulse 18: CSA 4+: The Union is happy to get to spend all 3 tables’ worth of CP’s.
USA: 1 SP St. Louis to Cairo; 1 SP to St. Louis; Banks enters in Washington; Butler to Ft. Pickens.

Pulse 19: USA 1+: Halleck enters Washington; Pope enters AoT.

Pulse 20: CSA 4+: Burnisde enters Washington, then moves to Ft. Monroe; Rosecrans (variant) and Curtis enter to AoP.

Pulse 21: USA 3+: 1 CP left, Banks goes cross country from Washington to Ft. Scott.

Interphase: Jackson is OOS and suffers 1 SP loss, but does not rally. CSA gets 3 VP’s for 3 table uses, 1 VP for Springfield. USA gets 10 for WV, 5 MO, and 1 in VA for a total of 16 VP’s. 10% blockade knocks CSA import level to 136. Lots of SP and leader reinforcements for both sides during Turn 2 means that there will be more chances to roll ties for multiple table uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T2 USA Allocation: East 1, TM 2, West 3; CP’s 64113.
CSA: East 1, West 2, TM 3; CP’s 5322.

Pulse 1: CSA 1+: Add 1 SP to ANV; 1 SP from Richmond to Magruder.
USA: Add 1 SP to AoJ.

Pulse 2: CSA 3+: 2 SP’s to ANV; 1 SP from Richmond to Magruder; Jackson from 1008 to Madison, taking 12 MP’s to get there. Winning every initiative roll has the CSA player on the defensive. He never knows when the Union will get back-to-back pulses, and is forced to play more conservatively.
USA: Lots of options here. Pete’s strategy is to play a tight game, and wait for his opponent to make a mistake. So far, the USA has pushed the limit of what it could do without leaving a big opening. Lyon promoted in AoP; 1 SP to each of AoJ and AoP.

Pulse 3: USA 2+: Add 3 SP’s to AoP.
CSA: Builds AoT under Beauregard in 2213.

Pulse 4: USA 4+: Enter Porter into AoP; Porter to Washington; AoJ from Strasburg to Charlottesville, traversing 5006, 5007, and 4908 en route. A very bold move which I wouldn’t make had Lee been in the game, or even in the leader pool.
CSA: Jackson by rail to ANV; add 1 SP to AoT; 2 SP’s to ANV.

Pulse 5: CSA 2+: Add DH Hill and 1 SP to AoT; Stuart promoted.
USA: 1 SP moves from Ft. Scott to 1011; AS Johnston fails to react. Occupation of hex 1011 cuts supply for CSA forces in Springfield. 1 SP from 1210 then attacks Springfield. This time, AS Johnston reacts. The CSA force in Springfield is OOS, and will be DM at the conclusion of combat. Yet, the CSA needs to retain Springfield, or lose MO. The CSA player partially reacts, by sending Bragg and 1 SP into 1010. The US attack on Springfield is at 1-2 odds. The result is a DM for both sides. The US SP retreats back to 1210, joins another SP there, and both become DM.

Pulse 6: USA 2+: 2 SP’s added to AoP; 1 SP Rolla to 1109. There are forces scattered all over MO. The 1109 move blocks the CSA DM force at 1108 from linking up with the force in Springfield. Consolidation of DM forces into one hex reduces attrition losses.
CSA:1 SP in 1108 to 1110. Enters 1 SP at Fayetteville.

Next initiative roll is a tie at 6. Additional CP’s are 63213. The multiple Table Uses have favored the Union, so far. The CSA player has never been in as difficult a position so early in the game. He remains patient and doesn’t make rash moves in an effort to try to seize the initiative. When he has the right opportunity, then he will pounce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave - can you tell us which rulebook and which optional rules you guys are using?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(cont.)

We are using the following optional rules: Lyon & Jackson, 20.1; CSA Supply by River 21.1; Declining Initiative Reinforcement, 21.2; Revealed Leaders 21.3; Non-Army Leader Reaction 21.9 (a must); 21.6 (a version not presently listed - this rule is a work in process); 22.1; and 22.2. The rulebook is the revised rules posted on this site.

T2 pulse 7: CSA 2+: Van Dorn to AoT; 1 SP Fayetteville attacks the USA 1 SP at 1011 - the attack comes from hex 0911, in order to cut supply to the Union SP. The attack is NE to both sides, but the Union SP is DM at the conclusion of combat, due to being OOS. Price is promoted on a past due leader roll. The CSA player waived the extra reinforcement.
USA: 1 SP Cincinnati by rail to Washington; 1 SP Evansville by rail to McClellan.

Yet another tie at 6; additional CP’s: 63213. The large number of table uses thus far has helped the Union cause.

Pulse 8: CSA 2+: Jackson promoted; 1 SP to ANV; 1 SP 1110 to Springfield.
USA: 1 SP from 1109 to Ft. Scott; 1 SP in 5106 by rail to McClellan. Though SP’s cannot move in enemy territory without a leader, they may be transported over rail lines under friendly control, even in enemy territory.

Pulse 9: CSA 7+: 2 SP’s enter at Lynchburg; 4 SP’s enter into AoT; Van Dorn and 4 SP’s in AoT by rail to Lynchburg. The CSA player responds to the AoJ threat by creating a 6 SP force, commanded by a 2 initiative leader, all in one pulse.
USA: 1 SP to AoP; Grant to AoP; the AoP moves from 5108 to 5109, JE Johnston fails to react; thence into 5009 where Johnston again fails to react. A battle ensues in 5009. Aided by the 2nd reroll, the ANV suffers d2 to the AoP’s d3. Rosecrans, Longstreet, and Hardee are promoted, Curtis is wounded.The AoP falls back to 5109. For the last 2 DD, USA moves 1 SP in 5107 by rail to AoP; Thomas enters into AoJ. Without a subordinate leader in the AoJ, there would be no capacity for a partial reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice replay. Is this game still being played? Or did you guys need to take a break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turansky
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren, thank you for your interest. It was always my intention to post the first turn or two. I never planned to post the entire game. I thought it might be helpful for new players starting out, to get the feel. I need to figure out how to upload map images, to better illustrate things.

The game ended in victory for Peter and the independent Confederate States of America. It was a heckuva game. I don't think I can play any better. Here were our comments on the ConsimWorld board:

Pete has thoroughly relieved me of the notion that my offense is unstopable. The Union has to convert Confederate states in order to win. In this game, I was only able to convert AL and FL. There were times that it appeared that VA was going to fall, but the CSA player managed to keep holding onto Richmond. The game could easily have gone past Turn 17. Had that occurred, it's doubtful that the USA would have been able to amass enough VP's to win. There were quite a few CSA bastions which fell in the last couple of turns: Norfolk, VA (twice); Springfield, MO; Montgomery, AL; and Savannah, GA. Hood managed to slip out of FL, and thereafter took a detachment out of Chattanooga to recapture Nashville during T 17. Those Confederate 2 initiative leaders had quite a workout all game long.

There was a point where I questioned my ability to play this game. I seem to be able to play with everyone else. It's just that Peter is so good. Every die difference gives the player many choices. Multiply that by all of the pulses throughout the course of the game. The player who makes the fewest mistakes wins. Pete could probably go back and point out moves I made where there were better choices. I don't think he can point to that many. He always seems to be able to come up with an answer.

And from Peter:

I really couldn't point to any. Dave played a very good game, but I got some breathing space in the mid-game and used it to shore up the CSA defense. Dave's response was correct - avoid CSA strongholds and go for VP cities. The problem for the Union is that the South can afford to concede VP cities in a given state as long as they can prevent easy conversions. All of Dave's conversions were hard fought and expensive in time and CPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.