Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jess Newman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early games of Shadow Hunters we played, we found that a player could spend most of the game wandering around aimlessly, unable to land on an area that would allow him to get any Hermit cards, and would be virtually out of the game. Sometimes this will lead players to attack blindly, or not care about the outcome of the game because they do not know who any of the other players are.
We fixed this by giving each player a hermit card at the beginning of the game, which they cannot use unless they are in the same space as the character they want to give the card to. Before dealing these cards, remove the "show me your card" Hermit. This gives everyone a little boost in deduction, but doesn't make it too powerful.
We also play with no attacks on the first turn, but this is mostly for new players-experienced players wouldn't really want to attack so early anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea... I think I might try this next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've actually been toying with the idea of playing one round of "everyone gets a free green card" before actually starting the game. In large (7/8 player) games, a series of bad rolls can make a player feel very disconnected. Even a tidbit of info give them something to try deducing from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moody

Missoula
Montana
msg tools
While I have nothing against the idea of players starting off with Hermit Cards, I must say in the numerous games I've played I have not found it necessary.

After all, there is a 58.33% chance a player will get a role that would allow them to draw a Green card. (The Hermit's Hut with 2 or 3, the Underworld Gate with 4 or 5, and the wild 7 that can send you to either of those locations.)

While there may be cases of defying probability, I haven't found this detracted from the game experience (ofcourse, most of the time I'm one of those who has no problem attacking without proper intel).

What does tend to happen, however is we deal out attacks evenly, so that everyone stays at more or less the same amount of decreasing health. This also keeps the intrigue in effect a bit longer as you have to pay attention to who people start neglecting to attack, instead of having a situation where as soon an one person attacks another you know they are on opposite sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:
I've actually been toying with the idea of playing one round of "everyone gets a free green card" before actually starting the game. In large (7/8 player) games, a series of bad rolls can make a player feel very disconnected. Even a tidbit of info give them something to try deducing from.

This is exactly what we do. I find that it definitely adds a step to the game that I felt was missing, and makes things feel far less random at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.