Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
I've finished reading the rules today and VdG definitely stirred my interest. However, there are some doubts I still have about the game:

1) When one starts the game with D. Manuel I ("o venturoso", acording to my brazilian history classes ), if he keeps choosing this character every turn, I imagine he will have only these two benefits:

a) Keep the extra action he would otherwise mantain if nobody picks the king.

b) Impede someone having an extra action on that turn and on the next turn.

The reason I'm asking this it's because it seems more profitable to acquire D. Manuel I from another player (thus gaining a late action on that turn and at least guaranteeing an extra action on the next turn) than forcefully keeping it (spending an action to guarantee a late action on the next turn). Am I right about this?

2) The Girolamo Sernigi character: Is the benefit of the merchant ship awarded only when someone picks the character (either mantaining possesion of it through the action disk or stealing from another player) ? That is, if red player starts the game with the merchant and nobody chooses to pick it at first round, the mantainance of the character in red player's possesion won't award him a merchant ship at round 2?

3) Finally, at p.12 at the "End of round operations", it is stated the first of the 7 new projects of the next round must be placed at São Gabriel Project space. I assume this same rule applies when you setup the game preparation, yes?

Keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Iannelli
Germany
berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I try to answer your questions!

1) Yes you are right. All depends on how much the other players need the extra action !

2) following your example, the red player award the Merchant ship in round 2 and will send it at the beginning of Phase 3.

3) yes, but since it is the first round it is not so important. Instead, it is important in following rounds because you could know which will be the São Gabriel Project for the next round and make your plan accordingly...

Sorry for the english
Hope that I helped you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Oi !!!

1- D. Manuel allows you an extra action every turn (seems bad but having played the game thats one character power that is always running from hand to hand - very powerful...) it's important that you keep it because you may loose the extra action advantage but you can ruin the game of someone who intends to use the ability for an immediately action that turn... it actually in some situation makes sense to do it. But believe me the game is so "Short" you will have things to do...

Both a) and b) are correct !

It's always more profitable to take the character from someone: because you gain immediate bonus, and take bonus from your opponents it actually works pretty well in the game...

2- With Girolamo Sernigi there are 2 different things:
- setting up the game the player with Girolamo Sernigi gets a merchant ship and has to sail right away getting only the land bonus.
- In the rest of game the merchant ship is open in a stack and the player who gets Girolamo Sernigi can sail with it when he gets the bonus for taking the character or in the beginning of phase 3 the owner of Girolamo Sernigi must launch the merchant ship, again gaining the proper land bonus...

Quote:
That is, if red player starts the game with the merchant and nobody chooses to pick it at first round, the maintenance of the character in red player's possession won't award him a merchant ship at round 2?

No, the right to send it on the end of phase 3 , if nobody steals him the character, is still in is possession .

3-Thats actually irrelevant because there are 3 stacks of projects numbered I, II, III ... and you set up the game using stack I, only when it ends, it is relevan that you do the refill from S. Gabriel first and then up...

Don't know this helps...

By the way - Great game !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice...
Mariano already answered ...

30 minutes of my life wasted...
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Iannelli
Germany
berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your answer is really more exaustive than mine, so you do not have waste your time !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Grazie Mariano, obrigado Nuno!

I do not disregard the strategic choice of mantaining D. Manuel, specially in the right situation. Just wanted to make sure of my impression

The answer about Girolamo Sernigi was really useful. It didn't occur to me that a player retaining the character would naturally receive at the beginning of phase 3 (as there won't be a resolution in phase 2 in this example). Maybe I overlooked this option because Bartolomeu Dias and Francisco Alvarez grant a "keeper bonus" at the end of the turn. Besides, that's why there are 6 merchant ship tiles: 1 at the beginning of the game and 1 for each of the five turns.

Finally, I recognize my question about the order of the first São Gabriel tile placement was a bit of nitpicking blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.