Popular Tags: [View All]
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out one of those ACORN employees caught on video advising that Borat wannabe about how to conceal child slavery contacted the police afterwards to see how to report the guy: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ACORN_HIDDEN_CAMER...

And guess what - the "anti-ACORN bill" that Congress passed to defund them? Is so broadly written it could potentially defund the entire military-industrial complex: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/22/whoops-anti-acorn-b...

Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Hmmm...

Lets look at this article a bit.

Quote:
NATIONAL CITY, Calif. (AP) -- Police say a worker with the activist group ACORN who was caught on video giving advice about human smuggling to a couple posing as a pimp and a prostitute had reported the incident to authorities.

National City police said Monday that Juan Carlos Vera contacted his cousin, a police detective, to get advice on what to with information on possible human smuggling.

Vera was secretly filmed on Aug. 18 as part of a young couple's high-profile expose.

Police say he contacted law enforcement two days later. The detective consulted another police official who served on a federal human smuggling task force, who said he needed more details.

The ACORN employee responded several days later and explained that the information he received was not true and he had been duped.

Vera was fired on Thursday.

1). Lets be charitable and assume that Mr. Vera was sincere that he wanted to 'bust' what he thought was a human smuggling operation. As a representative of a organization, when confronted with an illicit offer like this, just say NO. Mr. Vera shouldn't have tried to be a one man 'vigilante' and try to bust a human smuggling ring on his own.

2). The fact that Mr. Vera's first contact with police was with his COUSIN, to me, rings alarm bells. Why his cousin, unless he wanted as sympathetic ear as possible when he tried to tell his story? But if he was so noble as to be giving evidence for a human smuggling operation, why the need for the sympathetic ear?

3). From the article, it appears as if it took Mr. Vera TWO DAYS to make up his mind to contact his COUSIN about this event. This, to me, smacks of someone having second thoughts and wanting to play 'Cover Your Ass', and NOT some innocent.

My conclusion, based SOLELY upon this article that mightgodking has presented, is that the guy really DID try and give information on smuggling, but then started to think about it, and realized he had been had. It was only THEN that he contacted the police.

But the fact remains that an ACORN official, on that organizations time, gave advice on human trafficking. A RESPONSIBLE organizer would have said, "There is no way I can be of help" and THEN called the police.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of it is different, based on what I think is the probable distinction between his cousin the police officer and "law enforcement." Calling the family cop for advice, to me, isn't the same thing as "contacting law enforcement officials" - my read is that he called his cousin to see how he should proceed, then contacted the appropriate local police department after doing so.

And honestly: I think that read on it is more plausible. Darillan's take on it requires him to be a combination of extremely stupid, amoral and irresponsible that you genuinely don't get too often.

One more thing:

Quote:
A RESPONSIBLE organizer would have said, "There is no way I can be of help" and THEN called the police.

Yes, because when dealing with someone perceived to be a violent criminal who is willing to flaunt his inhumane acts, being uncooperative is obviously the best course of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
mightygodking wrote:
My reading of it is different, based on what I think is the probable distinction between his cousin the police officer and "law enforcement." Calling the family cop for advice, to me, isn't the same thing as "contacting law enforcement officials" - my read is that he called his cousin to see how he should proceed, then contacted the appropriate local police department after doing so.

And honestly: I think that read on it is more plausible. Darillan's take on it requires him to be a combination of extremely stupid, amoral and irresponsible that you genuinely don't get too often.

Oh, thats RICH.

First of all, you ignore the fact that according to the article, Mr. Vera waited TWO DAYS to contact his cousin, rather than calling the police immediately.

Thats a lot of time to make a decision about calling the police. Why not call them immediately?

Hate to let you in on REALITY- but the reality of life is that many times, people ARE extremely stupid, amoral, and irresponsible. And sometimes, these people get caught on tape and realize that they've got to dig themselves a deeper hole to get out of.

Let me fill you in a secret....a buddy of mine is a former London Copper- and there are just as many stupid, amoral, and irresponsible people who get involved in illegal activities .The same is true in Texas, Washington, and I'll BET- all over the world.

Quote:
A RESPONSIBLE organizer would have said, "There is no way I can be of help" and THEN called the police.

Quote:
Yes, because when dealing with someone perceived to be a violent criminal who is willing to flaunt his inhumane acts, being uncooperative is obviously the best course of action.

I've seen the original 'sting' video- the journalists didn't threaten this man, they didn't put a gun into his mouth. They asked, how can we get some people across the border illegally, and Mr. Vera ANSWERED.

He lost his job too- as he should have, for not doing his JOB as a representative of his community.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
First of all, you ignore the fact that according to the article, Mr. Vera waited TWO DAYS to contact his cousin, rather than calling the police immediately.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said "I don't think 'calling his cousin' is the same thing as 'contacting law enforcement.'" You saying that he waited two days to call his cousin is purely an assumption and nothing more. Admittedly, so is mine; the article could be more clearly written. But given that it seems unlikely he'd ask his cousin to commence investigating, I think my version is the more likely.

Quote:
Thats a lot of time to make a decision about calling the police. Why not call them immediately?

Because he wasn't sure if he'd committed a crime, and wanted to ask his cousin the cop if he had done so before going to the police?

Really. It's not hard.

Quote:
Let me fill you in a secret....a buddy of mine is a former London Copper- and there are just as many stupid, amoral, and irresponsible people who get involved in illegal activities .The same is true in Texas, Washington, and I'll BET- all over the world.

Let me fill YOU in on a secret: I've worked for criminal defense attorneys, and have a better idea of how stupid people get in this area than you do - and also have a better idea of how they choose to approach police.

Quote:
I've seen the original 'sting' video- the journalists didn't threaten this man, they didn't put a gun into his mouth. They asked, how can we get some people across the border illegally, and Mr. Vera ANSWERED.

You're setting up a straw man - I never said they threatened him. All I said was that he might have thought they were potentially dangerous - and let me tell you: as comical as pimps might seem on television, in real life they are mostly mean, vicious people, so that's not an unreasonable conclusion to reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.