Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is based on very few plays, but I wonder if an expansionist strategy works better the fewer players there are.

The rationale is that with fewer players each one gets more turns, hence one's production capacity becomes more telling. By extension, if games lasted forever, I think it's inevitable that the one with the largest production base would win.

In a six-player game, on the other hand, everyone can expect to get fewer moves and there's less chance to get seven seas. Here it seems to me that making a dash for quick Ancient Personages via the tech tree would be relatively better than when you play with fewer people and more turns per player.

Anyone have any ideas on how the number of players affect the relative success of different strategies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have played this realy cool game with 4, 3 and 2 players. I found that with fewer players, expansionism does indeed make the game more exciting and in a way, quicker to play.

One can concentrate on gaining more tech, but it is fun getting temples built and having a few battles with less tech than one might think necessary. Once the wheel is discovered...hey, what better way than to dash across land (yeh, road...I know, but just imagine grassy fields instead ) and atack (without killing, you foe

But I bet someone will come along and say differently Personally, I prefer the 2 or 3 player game (mostly the former).

The Rondel is unusual but I have one minor criticism, it is this: the more players, the slower the game mainly because of the Rondel system.

Enjoy Antike as much I do.

Regards

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.