Subject: Easy to win as dracula? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stan harris
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
It seems that everyone says its really hard to win as dracula, so i must be doing something wrong. i played this for the first time ever yesterday, nobody had played it before, and it seems it takes less then 10 dracula turns for him to win. if he only plays the vampires and matures them for 2pts each, then waits for 2 days to pass he has his 6 pts.

I was wondering, when you reveal a card, does that get rid of the Encounter on it? or does it activate the encounter or anything?

Or is the only way to get rid of the vampires to land on them?

So yeah, if anyone has any tips as to why this feels so unballanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stancosmos wrote:
It seems that everyone says its really hard to win as dracula, so i must be doing something wrong. i played this for the first time ever yesterday, nobody had played it before, and it seems it takes less then 10 dracula turns for him to win. if he only plays the vampires and matures them for 2pts each, then waits for 2 days to pass he has his 6 pts.

Are you playing the maturing correctly? Drac puts down no encounter for his starting location, though he can if he chooses to Hide on the next turn, but you can't mature anything on Hide.

So the first available Vamp is on location 2, turn 2 (if he started with a Vamp in hand). That location/encounter will drop off on turn 8 if Dracula moves 1 location per turn (Unearthly Swiftness, Escape as Bat can speed this up). This also clears up all cards except his current location, meaning any Vamps on out there go poof. If you have put down a Vamp on the current location, it will take another 6 turns to mature that one.

Somebody check if my math is correct.

Anyway, Hypnosis and Newspaper Reports, plus plain old dumb luck and/or planning can have the Hunters land on your Vamps while they are still on the trail. If it's Day, she's a goner, if Night, you might get a Bite, but it is quite likely the Vamp will still go poof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, it should take you at least like 13 turns.

Did you clear Dracula's trail when you matured the first Vamp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hypnosis can be played on mina, since she is bitten already.

Quote:
Vampires go Poof?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stancosmos wrote:
Because the deduction element took a backseat during the game design to overwhelming card and dice random elements.

With all the randomness and overpowered cards that can come up in any particular session, it leads to vastly differing outcomes, sometimes overly-quick wins by either side.

This is a common theme with Kevin Wilson games - you either can enjoy that fact, or have it be an onerous aspect (like they are to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
stancosmos wrote:

To be clear you're playing it right:

A new vampire can mature when it falls off the trail. Which, under normal circumstances, only happens six turns after Drac puts it down (and Drac doesn't place an encounter on turn 1). And that's six turns of four hunters searching about and using event cards to uncover some part of your trail, and if they encounter the vampire by day, they outright exterminate it (by night they've got a 50/50 shot each try). Unless the hunters are having a tea party in England, they really should be able to catch wind of the trail within the first seven turns of the game.

A vampire maturing also clears out your trail, so if you thought that putting down vamps on turns 2 and 4 would mean matures on turns 8 and 10 you're wrong.

So (barring use of a debatable loophole regarding the card Unearthly Swiftness, for which there is a rules dispute over whether it would allow the maturation of consecutive Vampires that both fall off the trail the same turn), the earliest you could get the second vampire to mature is when Card 8 falls off your trail, which is usually Turn 14 (again, barring Unearthly Swiftness and the like). You placed the first vampire on Card 2, it matured the same turn you played Card 8 and put a new vampire on that while clearing your trail.

Again, if your hunters aren't doing any hunting, then yes, you could win on Turn 14. You can probably also win a chess match fairly quickly if all your opponent ever does is move his knights from and back to their starting positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
stancosmos wrote:
Because the deduction element took a backseat during the game design to overwhelming card and dice random elements.

With all the randomness and overpowered cards that can come up in any particular session, it leads to vastly differing outcomes, sometimes overly-quick wins by either side.

This is a common theme with Kevin Wilson games - you either can enjoy that fact, or have it be an onerous aspect (like they are to me).

Tell me about it... In every 3rd game I play Dracula I get a Hypnosis played against me in the 2nd round. cry After the Hunters got a wind of your trail it is impossible to completely disappear again (except with the draw of Evasion) and to mature a New Vampire. The hunters are just too close and they will find and eliminate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:
Tell me about it... In every 3rd game I play Dracula I get a Hypnosis played against me in the 2nd round. cry After the Hunters got a wind of your trail it is impossible to completely disappear again (except with the draw of Evasion) and to mature a New Vampire. The hunters are just too close and they will find and eliminate it.

It’s definitely not impossible. I’ve done it. It’s not necessarily easy, depending on the exact conditions of the game.

In general:

If you’re cornered or need to “reset”, the oceans are usually your friend.

Also, if it’s night-time, consider something like the Wolf-form to get an additional move. The additional distance and the “break” in your path can be useful tolls to shake Hunters off your trail.

Pay close attention to the cities you’re moving to, and whether or not the Hunters can get there by rail. I’ve been able to shake Hunters just by selecting cities they couldn’t easily move to by Rail, forcing them to take the slow path to get to me.

Be deceptive with your card play. I’ve played bluffs by using cards like Delayed by Papers or Roadblock against Hunters that had no chance of getting to me. In my last game, the Hunters found the last city I was in. I used a Roadblock to block off a city that was in the opposite direction of the way I actually went. This diverted two Hunters to check out that location while I kept on my merry way in the other direction.

I will agree that New Vampires ARE difficult to mature, but they should be. The effect of maturing one is very powerful – 1/3 of the total points you need to win AND it resets your path to one card. This should not be easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Joe. As Dracula, I have run around the rim of Spain/Portugal, then sort of doubled-back by using the oceans to reset, and run around those same cities again. After something like 15 moves I was just a few cities away from where I started, but the Hunters were flying across Europe to Castle Dracula! I won that game on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.