Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. "Call upon Odin" says you can draw runes up to the 3 max, for a cost of zero days.
Do you have to be in a home port since that is where the usual "draw runes" action is? (in which case the only benefit of this card would be not spending any days). Or can you play it from anywhere on the board, which would make it an even better card? This isn't clear to me from the rules. Some of the rune cards specify where you can play it ("Your fame has spread" can only be played in the Wintering Box), but this one doesn't. So I could see arguments both for and against playing it anywhere.

2.What about "Granted Prayers," which lets you pick any rune card from the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon further perusal of the rules, I see in the Home Ports Summary on page 15:
1. Rune cards may only be drawn when a Viking's longboat is in a home port.
2. Rune cards may never be played or discarded in a home port.

So, regardless of how "Call upon Odin" is used, it will violate one of those rules. Intuitively I'm guessing the rule it's allowed to violate is #1, since the function of a lot of rune cards is to break the rules in the first place, but you still need to play them at the right time. But it would've made things less confusing if in rule number 1 above, it was worded "Rune cards normally may only be drawn...in a home port" and added "unless directed to do so by the playing of a rune card".

Or, better and simpler yet, just have added text on the Call upon Odin card: "This rune can be played from anywhere on the board except the home port".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had put this on my "buy a little later" list when it first came out.

Next thing I knew, it was OOP and impossible to find through normal channels.

I wish they'd put an "expiration date" on these things so we aren't taken unawares.

Wish someone'd reprint it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
I had put this on my "buy a little later" list when it first came out.

Next thing I knew, it was OOP and impossible to find through normal channels.

I wish they'd put an "expiration date" on these things so we aren't taken unawares.

Wish someone'd reprint it.

Yeah maybe FFG or someone will reprint, it's that good. I had played someone else's copy and had a blast, so I was in that same "buy a little later" mode for it; luckily I had the "notify of content" subscription through BGG and saw the initial OOP message while it was still on the market - so I immediately snatched up a copy. Thanks BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you already answered your own questions. As in most similar games with cards, the text on a card can break the normal rules. Regardless what the card says exactly, you execute a card's text at the moment that you play it, which is whenever you are not in a home port. Note that (when) playing a card you still have to obey the rules. It's the execution of the text on the card that can break the rules.

Also, the German edition is still available in Germany for less than no money (11 euros at amazon.de). Of course, you would need to be able to read German, or get a translation for all the cards - which I believe is already available in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.