Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I love Monopoly. Sure, it could be a better game, sure some other game deserves its reputation, sure it's a lot worse than most Euros, but I still love this game.

Why?

Fun, light (super-duper-light) strategy, high luck, nostalgia, competitive with my closer friends, etc, etc.

When I got around to being a bigtime BGGer, I was fascinated. All these games, all these ratings...hey, where's Monopoly on this rankings list?

(cue puzzled look.)

Wait, wait...what?

My Monopoly? My Monopoly that I have never disliked a game of? My favorite pre-Euro-introduction game?

Seriously?

Then I read all the things on here about how awful of a game it is, how it's worth Toilet Paper, the "how-to-destroy-my-monopoly" thing, etc. And I still like it.

That's right, I still think this game is excellent. In fact, reading about it here made me like it more. I love that it can take so long sometimes. I love the high luck (which I usually hate). I love the auctions, I love the shock on people's faces when there's no million dollars when they land on Free Parking, then they tell me to check the rules, it's in there ninja; I love the social aspect of the game (playing with 8 people is awesome), I love playing with my best friends, my cousin, my extended group of friends, and anyone else who enjoys it.

All right. I just had to get this out there. I have kept that inside for quite a while now. It feels so good to admit it finally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, let the rest throw rotten fruit and anything else at me....I love Monopoly, too.

I remember playing it the first time (must have been when I was about 9 or 10) and along with Risk....hey: great Waddington games (infact, I love vintage Waddington games ).

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the Monopoly-related threads here on the geek, I realized I never actually played this game by the rules that were written. The house rules not just I, but far too many people use (free parking millions, anyone?) drop the excitement of an auction (getting territories is simply a matter of luck with your dice rolls), drag on the elimination of weak players, etc. They worsen the game.

So, even if I can't tell how good the game is when played by the rules, I can understand that a lot of people had boring, drawn out, unexcited experiences playing Monopoly and shy away from giving it a second chance when there's so many games around that they like better, but don't get to play often enough because of the game overload we have today.

No need to bash it passionately, though. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you. I even have a Monopoly microbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it tho admittedly i play with house rules laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Gravel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still fond of it for many of the reasons mentioned. For me it's mostly nostalgia. Playing the rules as written, it's not a bad game.

Figilano wrote:
I can understand that a lot of people had boring, drawn out, unexcited experiences playing Monopoly and shy away from giving it a second chance when there's so many games around that they like better, but don't get to play often enough because of the game overload we have today.

Concur. For folks that progress through mass market Hasbro games like Monopoly to the wider array of games that we all know and love, there might even be a sense of having been swindled. "Why did I spend all that time playing (house rule dorked) Monopoly when I could have been playing this?"

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it is almost entirely the nostalgia effect.

It is hard to fight with your vision of the game while you are wearing rose colored glasses.

I mean, you said it yourself:

Friff14 wrote:
That's right, I still think this game is excellent. In fact, reading about it here made me like it more. I love that it can take so long sometimes. I love the high luck (which I usually hate). I love the auctions, I love the shock on people's faces when there's no million dollars when they land on Free Parking, then they tell me to check the rules, it's in there ninja; I love the social aspect of the game (playing with 8 people is awesome), I love playing with my best friends, my cousin, my extended group of friends, and anyone else who enjoys it.

All right. I just had to get this out there. I have kept that inside for quite a while now. It feels so good to admit it finally.

You point out all the flaws you percieve in the game, and say that you like it anyway.

That's nostalgia, and it will win out. It is always fun to talk a walk down memory lane. Every game of Monopoly you play, you relive ALL your Monopoly memories, and that is very hard to compete with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I tell folks about how my wife and I are into boardgaming (wink wink), what I usually tell them is, "you know how you can play Monopoly and someone pulls ahead and then you spend the next 2-3 hours watching them play, waiting for the game to end? Well these games are NOT like that."

So, I'm grateful to Monopoly, at least, for giving me an easy way to hook new folks into gaming with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Funchess
United States
California
flag msg tools
ohbalto wrote:
So, I'm grateful to Monopoly, at least, for giving me an easy way to hook new folks into gaming with us.

I think this is the best thing about Monopoly: Everyone has played it, so I can call Rail Baron "Monopoly with railroads" and get a lot of people who vaguely remember playing Monopoly as a kid to at least try it.

As for the game itself: I'm willing to concede that it might potentially be a fun game with the right people. Played with everyone I've ever played it with? Not so much. Using the official rules helps, but not enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
After reading the Monopoly-related threads here on the geek, I realized I never actually played this game by the rules that were written. The house rules not just I, but far too many people use (free parking millions, anyone?) drop the excitement of an auction (getting territories is simply a matter of luck with your dice rolls), drag on the elimination of weak players, etc. They worsen the game.

So, even if I can't tell how good the game is when played by the rules, I can understand that a lot of people had boring, drawn out, unexcited experiences playing Monopoly and shy away from giving it a second chance when there's so many games around that they like better, but don't get to play often enough because of the game overload we have today.

No need to bash it passionately, though. ;-)

I definitely don't agree with free parking "lottery". Only having just more money doesn't actually do anything good for you and just slows down the game. If you could take any property on the board you wanted... now that could be exciting.

As for monopoly, I love it too, but I hate playing it now because we never actually play it to completion. When we play it, it's usually with too many people and nobody gets a monopoly or nobody trades, or everybody trades. These things can get frustrating. Honestly nowawdays I'd rather play just about any other game because we usually finish any other game. I'm looking at BGG's variant section to see if there are some well thought out ways to fix it.

Things I'd want to fix?

player elimination can sometimes be not fun.

One person getting a monopoly with or without trade can cause that person to be over powered. Perhaps if having partial monopolies could provide better returns and/or some rewards.

A little less luck somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mangiameli
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I'm a fan of Monopoly as well and not ashamed of it. I like plenty of other games too; Monopoly is simply one of them. I always play RAW; no $500 on Free Parking or anything.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.