Each round, the supply tiles in Le Havre add to the offers

2 Francs,
3 Fish,
4 Wood,
2 Clay,
1 Iron,
1 Cattle, and
1 Grain.

Two of these are supplied per turn. Additionally, one tile has a third effect, interest.

The variant is to randomly generate these tiles in a way that provides the same balance of offers, but in different combinations. This could lead to interesting supply "tiles" like Grain/Cattle or Iron/Clay. If you think double-supply (e.g., Wood/Wood or Clay/Clay) are too powerful, just determine that you will regenerate such tiles.

One way to randomly generate the tiles is as follows. First off, shuffle the 7 supply tiles as normal but stack them to the side of the board. These will only be used to determine which step has interest.

Take the appropriate amount of each resource and place them in a bag. Replace Francs with Hides just for this generation process, since all tiles must feel the same. Throughout the first round, pull two tiles out of the bag at the beginning of each supply action (if you've determined not to use double-supply tiles, redo any doubles).

EDIT: You have to look ahead as well to make sure you don't have more of a single resource than turns left in the first round. See exmples:

(Example 1: On turn 6, only 1 Fish is on the board. This means there are 2 fish in the bag. You'll need 1 fish and a random non-fish from the bag for turn 6, and the same for turn 7)
(Example 2: On turn 5, only 1 wood is on the board. This means 3 are in the bag. 1 wood is needed on turn 5, 1 on turn 6, 1 on turn 7, along with 1 random each turn)

Place the two tiles in the circle where the supply tile usually goes, replacing Hides with 1 Franc coins. Take the top supply tile from the shuffled stack, if it says "INTEREST", place it on the circle and place the two random resource tiles over the wood/fish on the tile, so that "INTEREST" still shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thunder Wong
Hong Kong
HK
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zubinmadon wrote:

Each round, the supply tiles in Le Havre add to the offers

2 Francs,
3 Fish,
4 Wood,
2 Clay,
1 Iron,
1 Cattle, and
1 Grain.

Two of these are supplied per turn. Additionally, one tile has a third effect, interest.

The variant is to randomly generate these tiles in a way that provides the same balance of offers, but in different combinations. This could lead to interesting supply "tiles" like Grain/Cattle or Iron/Clay. If you think double-supply (e.g., Wood/Wood or Clay/Clay) are too powerful, just determine that you will regenerate such tiles.

One way to randomly generate the tiles is as follows. First off, shuffle the 7 supply tiles as normal but stack them to the side of the board. These will only be used to determine which step has interest.

Take the appropriate amount of each resource and place them in a bag. Replace Francs with Hides just for this generation process, since all tiles must feel the same. Throughout the first round, pull two tiles out of the bag at the beginning of each supply action (if you've determined not to use double-supply tiles, redo any doubles). Place the two tiles in the circle where the supply tile usually goes, replacing Hides with 1 Franc coins. Take the top supply tile from the shuffled stack, if it says "INTEREST", place it on the circle and place the two random resource tiles over the wood/fish on the tile, so that "INTEREST" still shows.

Interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY interesting.

However, you also need to make sure that no supply tile will show the same pair of goods, like Wood-Fish, Wood-Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meir
Taiwan
taipei
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not bad, but need more and more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun, I think I'll try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
VERY interesting.

However, you also need to make sure that no supply tile will show the same pair of goods, like Wood-Fish, Wood-Fish.

Well, do you really need to make sure of that? I agree that wood-wood would be too much, but having two wood come out in consecutive turns is fine, and same for fish, so I don't see the problem of both of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

Don't cut any possibilities, for replayability's sake!

EDIT: slight wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Two identical chits are just boring, and, also, the actual game hasn't any duplicates. Excluding duplicate chits, there are exactly 31 possible sets of supply tokens (multiply this by 7 to get the total including all versions of the interest position). I guess, this is a lot on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amir Rachum
Israel
Ramat Gan
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zubinmadon wrote:

if you've determined not to use double-supply tiles, redo any doubles.

This is not a good method. It's possible and likely that you will sometime end up with just one type of resource left in the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea isn't bad. Still I wouldn't use it because it takes more work than what you get out of it. I mean, I don't really care about how the resources accumulate... You only get one resource type of the two you draw anyway, so the other one is irrelevant. Unless it isn't the same type, which isn't allowed.

So I don't see why you can't use the regular disks. After all, they are already there to be used. No need to do any extra work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubin Madon
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LupusX wrote:
The idea isn't bad. Still I wouldn't use it because it takes more work than what you get out of it. I mean, I don't really care about how the resources accumulate... You only get one resource type of the two you draw anyway, so the other one is irrelevant. Unless it isn't the same type, which isn't allowed.

So I don't see why you can't use the regular disks. After all, they are already there to be used. No need to do any extra work.

Sure, depends on how much work you are willing to put into a variant. This takes a minute or two total for setup and drawing, so it's worth it to me. I definitely use the regular disks when introducing players to the game, but this is just another option.

A few interesting dynamics can enter when you use this though. If, say, Cattle and Grain are on the same tile, one player will probably get their choice of path, but likely won't be able to take both reliably.

You could also get "clumps" of fish/gold/grain/cattle towards one half and building materials on the other which would greatly influence the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If you disallow double resources and duplicate tiles, there are only 31 possible layouts (x7 to add interest). Instead of drawing and this whole procedure, just randomly select one of the 31 possible layouts. These are:

0=wood,1=fish,2=clay,3=franc,4=cattle,5=grain,6=iron

01 02 03 04 12 13 56
01 02 03 04 12 15 36
01 02 03 04 12 16 35
01 02 03 04 13 15 26
01 02 03 04 13 16 25

01 02 03 04 15 16 23
01 02 03 05 12 13 46
01 02 03 05 12 14 36
01 02 03 05 12 16 34
01 02 03 05 13 14 26

01 02 03 05 13 16 24
01 02 03 05 14 16 23
01 02 03 06 12 13 45
01 02 03 06 12 14 35
01 02 03 06 12 15 34

01 02 03 06 13 14 25
01 02 03 06 13 15 24
01 02 03 06 14 15 23
01 02 04 05 12 13 36
01 02 04 05 13 16 23

01 02 04 06 12 13 35
01 02 04 06 13 15 23
01 02 05 06 12 13 34
01 02 05 06 13 14 23
01 03 04 05 12 13 26

01 03 04 06 12 13 25
01 03 05 06 12 13 24
01 04 05 06 12 13 23
02 03 04 05 12 13 16
02 03 04 06 12 13 15

02 03 05 06 12 13 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LupusX wrote:

You should care about how the resources accumulate... it's almost the heart of the game! A radically different resource accumulation order changes the nature of the game drastically.

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubin Madon
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nurdok wrote:
zubinmadon wrote:

if you've determined not to use double-supply tiles, redo any doubles.

This is not a good method. It's possible and likely that you will sometime end up with just one type of resource left in the bag.

Good point, you'll have to think ahead a little, I have only tried this a couple times and luckily haven't gotten into that situation yet. E.g., turn 5 if you have 3 wood and 3 others, you'll know you have to use 1 wood and 1 random other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.