Day & Night» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy tips for playing DAY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to talk strategy for Day & Night! I need some help getting Day to win, because in our home, Day has a very hard time seeing the light of day, so to speak! According to the designer, in over 1000 games online by play-testers, the win/loss record for Day and Night was more or less equal. But either we've learned how to play Night too well, or don't know how to play Day well enough, because Night usually has the edge when we play - although the scale of the victory often does depend on the skill of the Night player and there have been some very close games. At any rate, here are some intial ideas for how best to play Day - please add your reactions, ideas, and suggestions!

Here's all the Day cards, so you can refer to them if necessary to follow the discussion:

Don't let Night build a Temple too quickly. Night has several cards that require a Night Temple on the board, and these cards become useless if Night hasn't got that first Temple locked down yet.

Set up your hand for combos. Day is best served by very specific card combinations that can be somewhat hard to create, but if you get them, they are very powerful. Keep cards you need to achieve this, because spells like Flourish can be very powerful when you trigger them.

Meet the conditions. Day has quite a number of cards that can only be used if Night is on a Day tile (Day Meditation, Day Advantage, Fate, Misdirect, and Flourish). You need to find ways to get Night onto a Day tile or to change Night's location tile - cards like Entrap are especially useful for this purpose, and very efficient.

Use Mystify later in the game. It is less effective early on, because Night can be more flexible, but later on it can lock down key tiles that Night needs. Night can lose the game by default as a result of not having enough space to build a second Temple. Mystify is one way to try to permanently divide two halves of a Temple in progress.

Be wary for Crystallize. Day can be paralyzed for several turns if you have an empty hand and are near the edge of the board. Try to avoid being near the edge of the board, especially if you have a near empty hand. Keep Warp handy to escape some of these situations.

Keep moving. Day relies mostly on movement for card draw, so you need to keep those cards coming.

Be nasty if necessary. If both players already have a Temple, using Misdirect to send Night to the wrong side of the board on your established Temple will help buy you time to do what you need without his interfering play. If things are really going wrong, get in the middle of Night's tiles and try to counter with Fate. Warp with Fate can really swing the game radically with a large amount of tiles changing, especially if you have Entrap as well.

Look for cards you need. Wonder will allow you to draw any card from your deck, so use it carefully!

Use key cards.
Entrap - This makes Night's location tile a Day tile, which is a condition needed to play five other spells.
Steal Passion - Night relies on hand management, and this gives you the possibility of stealing a critical card, or using something for yourself!

I look forward to hearing reactions and ideas from other players, and learning other ways to improve play with this deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valentijn Eekels
Netherlands
Gouda
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Day... How I love to play as Day! Playing as Day feels like a 'flow'; you're graciously dancing around the board, doing nothing with noticeable impact, until...! In my opinion Day is harder to play (certainly not harder to win with but it requires more thinking as you have more possibilities).

It's almost always not useful to Mystify any tiles before there is a Night temple. It will cost you precious hours that you will certainly need to get the right Spells to combine with each other. It's better to focus on a good shape of Temple. The shape of the Temples define how good Mystify is, later in the game. Wonder, Warp and Misdirect are also Spells that you shouldn't play if not absolutely necessary.

As Day the game is really all about combining cards. For example, Entrap/Achievement is very powerful if you can play a Day Advantage, Flourish or in some situations Fate or Misdirect afterwards.

Most Day Spells are only very good in certain situations. You have to create these situations, or push Night to create these situations, even if you don't have the right Spells yet. When there is a good situation for Fate, be sure to be close and end on the right tiles for Fate to play as you might draw it, or a Day Advantage

When your Pawn is close to Night's pawn it's important to have enough possibilities in your hand, or to keep a Warp behind, because there is more chance of getting Crystallized. In many situations it's good to be close to Night; cards as Day Ritual, Day Instability or even Day Chant could work as an Entrap as you can get Night on a Day tile. Also Entrap and Achievement could become more powerful because you can use these tiles directly for your temple. If there is no temple yet, I think it's a good strategy to go to Night's side and try to make your first temple there. You could try to create (and even Mystify for an exception?) a tile close to your initial starting position, to Misdirect Night when you're busy creating the (last) tiles for your first temple at Night's side, of course do this after Night spend a lot of work on creating tiles there.

I will update this post soon, with some extra tactics and pictures of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D E
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that it's easier for Day to "clean up" after Night, even to the point of moving/have a null turn without casting spells, since mostly Day can change her location-tile or bordering, and only one at a time without Night being on a Day tile. I usually move around until I get something akin to an Entrap/Fate combo, wait for Night to do my work for me, and then swoop in and shift them, since Night is more efficient at changing tiles freely. Although this is riskier, it's "easier" - just don't let Night get more than 6 together at once, or else you could be in trouble. Or, as Night is moving in one direction changing tiles, come up from "behind" on the tiles out of reach and shift those using spells like Day Chant or Deviate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One tip for day if you are going to be using fate to shift a load of tiles is to mystify day tiles before hand so when you cast fate you don't have to turn them over. This can change a fate from gaining you only a couple of tiles to getting a net gain of 4!

Deviate->Fate is a nice combo too if you are standing on a day tile since deviate flips it to night before fate flips it back to day. You can't use Deviate with flourish or misdirect as its too expensive, so using it with fate or day advantage works well.

Most evil combo you can do is Warp->Entrap->Fate to reposition yourself anywhere and turn over loads of tiles. Night might not have crystallised thinking you weren't in position to fate. (Or might have crystallised your location rather than their own, thinking they could stop you moving into position for fate)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough we had trouble working out how to win as Night! Although initially we were playing Crystallise incorrectly which didn't help at all. Certainly the most important thing about playing Day imo is to remember the alternate win condition that if there isn't room for another temple then Day wins. With that in mind, make your first temple a sprawling monstrosity blocking off as many spaces as possible, the last time I played I blocked off 6 squares in a corner with my first temple and won the game as soon as Night completed her first temple! In fact I can only remember once winning as Day with 2 temples, it's generally a nice blocking first temple with a few Mystifies in key areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you can win as soon as Night plays their first temple if you have a Day sprawling monstrosity; that would actually end in a draw, since no player can compete a second temple. In order to get the default Day victory, at the START of a day turn, a mystified tile needs to make it impossible for Night to form a second temple. A slight difference yes, but a very important one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have enough mystified tiles in place when Night completes their first temple so you can make a second and Night cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.