Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was attached to my session report, but felt it was too long and really didn't belong there. These ratings are based off my first time ever playing Dominion: Intrigue (or Dominion for that matter). See my session report for maybe a little more explanation of scores

The first time play through for any game can be rough, especially if the instructions are unclear or scatter brained, and even more so when there's 500 cards and some 20+ card "types". Thank goodness this game is short though so you don't have to waste 4 hours playing a game to figure out you were doing it wrong I'm sure my next few plays will improve my vision of this game but for now this is what it is.

Quality: 7
It's a cad game. The cards seemed to be standard cards, though they also seemed to bend and stay bent quicker than some other cards

Theme: 4
Maybe if I paid more attention to what was going on I'd be more into it. However I was primarily just focused on what the cards did for me rather than what they were supposed to imply.

Fun Factor: 5
right now, probably rate higher if I didn't play with someone that is not into gaming that much, tire, and watching Jay Leno. Not to mention the confusion of the rules which DID NOT help things.

Instructions: 3

I feel these were written for those that have played Dominion before. The setup in particular could have been much simpler but instead jumped around and rambled a little. Some of the card descriptions also rambled on and didn't even answer my question. Take the Bridge card for example. It has a large +1 buy and +1 (coin), followed by some text. We assumed that this meant when played as an action, this grants an extra buy, you get 1 copper from the supply, and then you get a discount of 1 copper during purchasing. It took a while to find out that +1(coin) on a card meant that you simply got a 1 coin discount on purchasing.

Replayability: 7

I can see this game being fun. When I next play it I'll have a better understanding of the rules and I think it will go a lot smoother. I definitely want to play with more people

Multiplayer: 4

Standard eurotrash (that's right I said it!) game where interactivity between players is at a minimal. They don't like people interacting too much I guess Yes there are some cards that do something to another player but if those aren't in your 10 kingdom cards then it's just: sit back, watch what they pick, and mind your own business. It only gets a high rating of 4 here because of the potential for interaction between players.

Overall (not an average): 5

This comes from my feelings about the theme and instructions primarily as I've only played one game. I see the potential for the game but as of the one play, it's just an "ok" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Mo
msg tools
Sorry you had such a bad experience playing it for the first time.

It's recommended that you start with the 1st Dominion game since it's much simpler and sets you up for the more complicated cards in Intrigue.

Bridge: The 1 coin means that you have an extra coin total and the bridge's special ability means that you get a 1 coin discount on whatever you buy.
A card costing 5 now cost 4 and your total coins in hand will be increased by 1.

You should give this game a chance. It has tons of re playability and it's hard to get bored of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on giving it another go as I really do see the potential for a fun game. The primary gripe being the instructions are, and I speak for this version alone, all scattered brained, rambling, and not aimed at people that don't already know how to play the game

We figured the bridge out but the first play or two of it was a little off as +1(coin) looks like you get one, and the text below states that you get -1 off the cost. So it's just repeating itself unnecessarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogoapoxy wrote:
I plan on giving it another go as I really do see the potential for a fun game. The primary gripe being the instructions are, and I speak for this version alone, all scattered brained, rambling, and not aimed at people that don't already know how to play the game

We figured the bridge out but the first play or two of it was a little off as +1(coin) looks like you get one, and the text below states that you get -1 off the cost. So it's just repeating itself unnecessarily.

The card is not repeating itself. You get both: you get an extra coin to spend and each card you buy costs one less (minimum 0). Plus, you get an extra Buy.

So, if your hand is:
Bridge, Copper, Copper, Copper, Estate

...you can buy two Silvers. You have four coins (one from Bridge and one from each Copper), and with the Bridge, each Silver costs 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogoapoxy wrote:

That's not quite right.

Everything costs one less and you get 1 Coin for purchases made this turn. If you had a Gold and a Copper in your hand and played Bridge you'd have a total purchasing power of 3 (Gold) + 1 (Copper) + 1 (Bridge) = 5.

In addition everything is at a discount of 1 and you have an extra buy. So you would be able to buy, for example, one 4-cost card and one 3-cost card since they will be discounted to 3 and 2, respectively.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja'd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then, that certaintly makes the bridge a little more useful I hope to play this again tonight so we'll see if it's better now that we got the rules down (thanks to everyone so far!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
dexter1984 wrote:
You should give this game a chance. It has tons of re playability and it's hard to get bored of it.

I'd second that. Just because you didn't like one game, doesn't mean you won't like a different one.

I've never had a game completely dominate a table quite like Dominion.

We started playing it during lunchtime at work around six months ago, and we still play every single day, with various people. Even when I try to introduce a different game, they all just want to play Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It comes to the table and it just never goes away. I am actually a bit burned on it (not really burned, but I have half a dozen games I am trying to learn to play, and I just end up with people wanting to play Dominion!).

It really does dominate the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hill
United States
Grafton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominate the table is right. We've played nothing but Dominion & Intrigue for the past nine months. It is absolutely the most replayable card game I've ever encountered. Don't judge it on a single play of Intrigue, give it a good half dozen games including the original game and then give it a fair review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.