Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If a Cylon is asked to discard a card and draw a card (e.g.: Blackmarket - each player discards a skill card then draws a Treachery card) do they not discard a skill card and STILL draw a treachery card (given they may ignore the effects of cards that make them discard cards)?

2) The reckless Politics card has all players draw 2 skill cards if they have less than 5. Does this include Revealed Cylons AND for humans may this be outside their skill set AND are humans limited to a maximum number of skills they could normall y draw (e.g.: Ellen could only draw 1 Treachery card - not 2)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. Finally get to be the first to answer a question and I don't know the answers...

1) I'm not sure. I'm curious to hear thoughts on this. I would lean towards saying that they do not get to draw a card, but I would have to see the wording on the card and look at the rules again.

2)
I do know that humans may NOT draw those 2 skill cards from outside of their skillset, and that they may only draw up to the number of skills they normally draw.

I do not believe any revealed Cylons get the bonus of card effects, so they shouldn't be drawing when that is played. INFILTRATING Cylons, on the other hand, would definitely get to draw the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As for question 1, the rules state that cylons may ignore the negative effects of skill checks. I've interpreted that as saying that the 'discard a card' part is a negative effect, but the 'draw a treachery card' part is a positive part. Hence, a revealed cylon may draw a treachery card without discarding anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I believe that the use of THEN means that you have to do the 2 things in that order, but (as in the case of the original Resurrection Ship effect) it does not mean that you have to do the first in order to do the second, so I would say that a Cylon player could choose just to draw a Treachery card.

2. Players is defined as including both Human and Cylon Players, but this card specifies all Human players, so Cylon players (revealed cylons and non infiltrating Cylon leaders) could not draw cards.

The rules specify that whenever you can draw cards, they must come from your skill set unless stated otherwise.

As to whether you can draw above the allowance at the start of your turn, I would say yes, but I know the opposite view point also exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
1) If a Cylon is asked to discard a card and draw a card (e.g.: Blackmarket - each player discards a skill card then draws a Treachery card) do they not discard a skill card and STILL draw a treachery card (given they may ignore the effects of cards that make them discard cards)?

An exact example of this is given in the rulebook. The Cylon does not discard, and does get to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

As to whether you can draw above the allowance at the start of your turn, I would say yes, but I know the opposite view point also exists.

I don't see why not. There's no real basis for it. The rule states that at the end of any player's turn if you have more than 10 cards (8 for Chief), you must discard. So in between "ends of turns" you can (to me obviously) go over your limit, otherwise how could you ever be over limit in order to warrant having to discard?

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You can draw above and use as many cards as possible (subject to the usually limitations of being cylon, or in the brig, etc). It is only at the end of every turn that everyone has to discard down to their limit.

So you could draw 50 cards in a single turn, use 40 of them that turn, and only have to discard 2 of them if you were Chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
DaveD wrote:

I don't see why not. There's no real basis for it. The rule states that at the end of any player's turn if you have more than 10 cards (8 for Chief), you must discard. So in between "ends of turns" you can (to me obviously) go over your limit, otherwise how could you ever be over limit in order to warrant having to discard?

Gerry

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about, which was whether drawing from within your skill set included drawing allowed you to draw more cards of a type than you would have been able to draw at the start of the turn as asked in the last part of the OP question
Quote:
AND are humans limited to a maximum number of skills they could normall y draw (e.g.: Ellen could only draw 1 Treachery card - not 2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, okay. So Tigh trying to draw 4 tactics would be out, he's limited to 3. That's been posted somewhere. The limit is type AND number, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know where that would be interesting, someone who draws
4 pilot and 1 Engr/Politics, getting two cards. Can they draw 1 Engr AND 1 Politics, or must they take at least 1 Pilot, since they can't draw both at the same time when drawing their hand? I think they can. but am not sure.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're still not understanding, I'm not talking about the beginning of the turn, to me that is clear from the rules that you are limited in number, I'm talking about the situation as quoted by the OP, where someone can draw cards at other time which must be from the skill set, so in the situation quoted when Ellen could draw 2 cards, I think she could draw 2 Treachery.

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere that she should only draw 1 but I prefer to think otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your definition of "Skill set". Mr Konieczka has said that it includes type -and- number, and that it's inclusive of all instances where it is not specified that you may draw outside of said Skill set.

That being said, it's your copy of the game. Play how you want with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Dave, I guess I'm not being that clear, and I did introduce another wrinkle.

But as just posted above, skill set includes type and number, so you're limited to how many of a type you can draw. Your Treachery example comes out as "1", and 1 of some other type.

The wrinkle I introduced was what about someone who draws a choice of

1 (Engineer or Politics) as an example. If they're drawing two cards, is 1 Engr AND 1 Politics within their skill set, or has it exceeded the NUMBER because you can only pull one or the other?

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corey is, I believe, on record as stating that anytime you draw cards and "these cards may come from outside your skill set" is not explicitly stated, you are restricted to both the type and number listed on your skill card.

I think the simplest way of looking at it is "Is this a viable combination of cards that I could draw at the beginning of my turn?" If the answer is no, put them back and try again.

So, in Gerry's example:
Quote:
1 (Engineer or Politics) as an example. If they're drawing two cards, is 1 Engr AND 1 Politics within their skill set, or has it exceeded the NUMBER because you can only pull one or the other?

the player would not be able to draw 1 Eng and 1 Pol because that is not a combination of cards that they could draw at the beginning of their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.