Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game of Pegasus (5 player) was an incredible experience. Having had the game for a while, the chance to finally utilize the new add-ons were a welcome addition in the end, resulting in a game everyone found gripping, surprising and unexpected in its climactic conclusion.
The opening line up (and order of play) was:
Me – Apolo (I picked last)
J – Starbuck (he picked first)
B – Dee
W – Cain
E – Ellen

We had decided to skip the Cylon leader for this game so we could all enjoy every other factor before deciding to use it or not. We played by the rules (even though I was curious as to how the execution system was going to work) and the resulting highlights followed:

Turn 1 set the tension straight away. Using an executive order on Cain, she opened fire twice using the Pegasus CIC on the offending base-star. Though each only hit it once, her first shot crippled the Basestar (2 hits) causing it to explode with her second barrage. Humanity was impressed at the destruction of a Basestar in the first turn, and Cain and Adama were clearly pleased with their team-work. This was short lived however as Doc Codle informed the heroes while he had made a “Medical Breakthrough” his results had been interfered with and his entire discovery lost. Morale dropped, suspicions were raised, and the betrail began as everyone was made to draw the dreaded treachery cards. An Cylon was amoung us. Fortunately, Cain and Ellen has been occupied elsewhere giving them alibis (they added no skill cards) and due to the military methods of the sabotage (2 piloting cards) the suspicions were directed at two pilots.

Seeing the raiders still hovering outside the ship, Starbuck ignored the rumors in her direction and took to the vacuum – settling beside the civilian ships awaiting the approach of the raiders. She would later demolish all in an 8-shgot barrage proving her skill in a viper was unmatched.

Morale began to drop as “Food Hording in the Fleet” became rampant. “Cylon Screenings” were considered but with both Admiral and President trusted, everyone took the option of losing some skill cards. Though starbuck had demolished the raiders, her viper was forced to attempt a “Crash Landing” which she pulled off effortlessly.

It was then that Cain began to issue her military dictatorship. Morale dropped as she chose to ignore a “Resuce Mission” to save Billy (depressing Dee enough to need to visit sickbay), trusting the president to bring it back. This held firm when making the call to “Rescue the Fleet” – Cain choosing again to let morale slip instead of loosing civilian lives. Fortunately the fight was only momentary as the fleet made their first jump to a Cylon fueling station. Distance and fuel was gained.

Having got some distance, and assured in her move, Cain issued Starbuck’s execution. Despite her efforts, she was not to be trusted. Starbuck again was launched in the vaccum, this time without a viper. Unfortunately this was not to be last time humanity would see her… (cylon agent revealed).

Supplies took a hit with a loss of “Water”, “Food” and “Water” again showing that the Food Hording was a sign of things to come. The president took notable effort to prevent the loss by loosing skill cards. Even so when the “Riots” broke out, sacrifices had to be made. Many died but the rest survived and the fleet flew on.

Though on the edge of making their second jump, Galactica found itself paused. A “Cylon Device” was discovered and disarmed, but its damage forced Apollo to consider “Networking the Computers”. Considering the risk of 1 population affordable, he gave it up. Finally after a “Training SNAFU” Galactica made a jump to an Iceplanet. Raptors replenished the food supplies and there was some degree of relief.

Meanwhile, on a Resurrection ship, Starbuck began plotting the downfall of humanity – readying a disaster she doubted they would be able to return from….
Back in the fleet, a “Security Breach” occurred. Morale fell again. The stress of food loss brought rise to a “Blackmarket”. The desperation of food loss caused a “Water Sabotage”, bringing food even closer to risk. Fuel was high, but Food and Morale were at risk. And while the population was still numbering above 30,000 (9 points left), it was still lower than any human would have liked knowing the coming struggle.

Dee was alearted by a “Crippled Raider” on draidous. Fortunately, with everything prepared for a FTL jump, humanity allowed them Raiders too appear. They had only a second before Galactica automatically made its jump. It was in that second though, as Apollo looked at the raiders, something clicked. Something wasn’t right. This was not how it was ment to be and suddenly he realized all along what he had been (Cylon Sleeper phase - Apolo activates)…

Cain then pulled off a risky maneuver. The jump landed the fleet in the midst of a Cylon Ambush. Though everyone looked at her in stunned suspicion, in was only for a moment as she ordered an Emergency Jump – launching the fleet to a distance of 7.
Welcome to new Caprica.

The sight of a new home led to much revelry (which sadly encouraged another “Food Shortage”). Keeping her head, President Ellen insisted on food rationing – loosing skills again.

Once on New Caprica, the hunt began for the final Cylon. All eyes turned to Cain who proceeded to be called a traitor (her maneuver of flying through a Cylon fleet and then making an emergency jump had not been taken well by the populous – who clearly did not understand tactical maneuvering). Her death reassigned military command to her XO “Helo”, a man everyone trusted. Yet Cain’s death rose suspicions. Apollo was placed in the spotlight and swiftly killed… only to return again the next day with Starbuck at his side and with evil in both their eyes.

Humanity began to prepare their escape. The occupation forces were killed and ships were readied. The Cylon duo commenced to apply pressure on humanity by spending time at Breeder’s Canyon and slamming them with brutal crisis cards. The president found herself arrested for a Eulogy in Cain’s name (bringing Morale back up) and humanity attempted to get rid of Treachery cards, which led to sabotage. By the time Galactica reappeared, Pegasus had lost all but its CIC.
Admiral Helo (with Dee’s co-ordination) ordered a full nuclear barrage at both Basestars, destroying each but not their raiders, which opened fire on Pegasus. The main warship destroyed, humanity frowned but with the loss of both base-stars believed they had this game.

Until Starbuck employed her plan.

Suddenly two new Basestars appeared (Super Crisis), and the raiders began to fly at the evacuated ships. Dee helped co-ordinate Helo who returned to Galactica and launched all vipers to create a wall for the civilians to take refuge from. During this comontion Ellen made her escape aboard an evacuating ship before Apollo and Starbuck began co-ordinating the attack of the Raiders as the occupational forces destroyed 2 civilian ships bringing population to a critical 4!. 4 raiders took down 2 of the six vipers, before being reinforced by 4 new raiders. 8 vs 4 did not look to be good odds.

Dee ordered the evacuation of more ships, and Helo pressured her to push on – getting 3 more ships in the sky. The vipers held firm, buying time as Galactica took a pounding from both Basestars. Ellen finally made the call – taking military command she ordered the final jump with three ships and Dee left on the ground (she will be remembered for her sacrifice)

Everyone hesitated as the ships were drawn. With population hovering on 4, there was a chance of this game going either way. As each ship was revealed, a great pause before the humans shouted a victory cry. They had survived at 2 population.

The horror was over. They had lived.

The game was great. Choosing to use no Cylon Leader was a great opening to the games new features. Pegasus was a brute and very little could scare humanity with it in play. The Reckless cards offered a great deal of strategy in the early game, and while Treachery seemed menacing in the end it proved to be somewhat illusional

Though the Cylon’s messed up their rules on New Caprica (we were drawing Crisis cards and playing more than 1 skill card per check), the humans still pulled through. Execution also worked fine.

In the end from our first game, it seems the humans have a greater advantage over the Cylons now. This may change from game two, but as it stands Pegasus is a great addition. Very recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Starbuck again was launched in the vaccum, this time without a viper.

Haha, I chuckled at that.

Cain's emergency jump out of the Cylon ambush is an interesting tactic.

Sounds like a fun game.

I guess Apollo got dealt a Cylon card in the second round of loyalty checks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:

Me – Apolo
J – Starbuck
B – Dee
W – Cain
E – Ellen
This is not a legal setup by the game rules - after you chose Apollo, the other pilots should not have been available for other players until you had Military and Political leaders in the roster.

Trading in Cain for Helo seems like a poor strategic choice...losing a turn in the lategame could have been huge. I'd think that player would have wanted to switch to Adama the Elder or Saul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
CitizenFry wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

Me – Apolo
J – Starbuck
B – Dee
W – Cain
E – Ellen
This is not a legal setup by the game rules - after you chose Apollo, the other pilots should not have been available for other players until you had Military and Political leaders in the roster.

Trading in Cain for Helo seems like a poor strategic choice...losing a turn in the lategame could have been huge. I'd think that player would have wanted to switch to Adama the Elder or Saul.

The player spread they have is technically legal, but the order they picked them technically isn't. I don't really see this being a big deal, personally; in some of the games I've played we all kind of collectively talk about who we want to be so that everyone gets to play a character they want, and doesn't get screwed out of playing someone they'd like to try because they didn't get to go first or whatever.

As long as you're not violating the "can only pick again from a set once all the others have been picked from" rule, I don't think the order matters a huge deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you recall what brought the basestars back to New Caprica? Once the first two are destroyed it is very dificult to get more on the board. Super Crisis perhaps?

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
CitizenFry wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

Me – Apolo
J – Starbuck
B – Dee
W – Cain
E – Ellen

The player spread they have is technically legal, but the order they picked them technically isn't. I don't really see this being a big deal, personally; in some of the games I've played we all kind of collectively talk about who we want to be so that everyone gets to play a character they want, and doesn't get screwed out of playing someone they'd like to try because they didn't get to go first or whatever.

As long as you're not violating the "can only pick again from a set once all the others have been picked from" rule, I don't think the order matters a huge deal.

If two people with the same skill set are adjacent, you have a long way around the table before you can restock on those colors. This can be mitigated by experienced players working together, but if you aren't paying attention this can potentially be a big problem. It's less of an issue if the draws are spread around the table.

In the given setup, if the crisis on Starbuck's turn is green-purple-red, if Starbuck and Apollo decide they're going to pass the check and use most of their reds to do it ("these strategic plannings will be handy later, and red almost never comes up on skill checks!"), the humans are going to be out of luck when a red-blue crisis comes up on any of the next three turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CitizenFry wrote:
If two people with the same skill set are adjacent, you have a long way around the table before you can restock on those colors. This can be mitigated by experienced players working together, but if you aren't paying attention this can potentially be a big problem. It's less of an issue if the draws are spread around the table.

In the given setup, if the crisis on Starbuck's turn is green-purple-red, if Starbuck and Apollo decide they're going to pass the check and use most of their reds to do it ("these strategic plannings will be handy later, and red almost never comes up on skill checks!"), the humans are going to be out of luck when a red-blue crisis comes up on any of the next three turns.

Oh, absolutely, and I almost mentioned that, but you could have that situation happen even when you're doing the selection "correctly"- i.e. all the groups get chosen from, and then the next person selects their character. If they're sitting around a table A - B - C - D - E - (back to A), then E could select a character that's the same type as A and thus be sitting next to them.

I completely see what you're saying, of course, but since that kind of a setup can happen even when you're following the recommended rules, it still seems like something that you'd just need to discuss in terms of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people felt strongly about type of character, I would do my best to accomadate them. It's gonna be a few hours of play, or months of PBF. In the former, I'd be willing to swap positions, discuss in advance who gets what, or even throw the rules restricting character selection aside. All with an eye towards Maximizing fun at the table. Co-op can start at character selection in my view.

In PBF, I got people to select first, then sequenced them legally. Then again, that was for my experimental flights. For regular PBF, it's RAR. Even then I suggest "if anyone feels strongly, speak now, as you're playing this role a long time". (Unless your name is Baltar and Cain doesn't like you whistle ) Though no one's worried about that, they've all been too happy just to play.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Was one of her two Super Crisis that resummoned the 2 Basestars.

Oh and as for Order, we actually started from Starbuck's player and went around first. I picked last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're selection order and turn order should be the same, First Player to pick is the First player to play, and following through.

Not that we always play like that, to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.