Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Gomez
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently buyed Arkam Horror and I only have player a couple of two players game, and, my first oppinion is that is unbalanced for that number of players. I explain myself...

It takes, at least FOUR turns to close a portal (one to reach the portal location and enter, one to travel through the portal, one to leave, and one to close/seal). But, except in rare occasions, on each of theese turns, during Myth phase a NEW portal is opened! Close one, open FOUR....

Am I missing something? I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to win by closing/sealing portals with so few players...

Could be a good variant to have only one Myth phase every two turns? (movement/encounter/movement/encounter/myth)

Alternatives:

- Just having two movements phases: Faster movement / portal crossing, but would loose a lot of encounters with all it's possibilities (some possitive, like BUYING). I don't think is a goog solution.
- Apply the 'open portal' on Myth phase only every two turns: Good idea, I think.
- Play two characters per player: Well. It's a possibility... But I prefer use only ONE character per player.

What do you think?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaikus wrote:
It takes, at least FOUR turns to close a portal (one to reach the portal location and enter, one to travel through the portal, one to leave, and one to close/seal). But, except in rare occasions, on each of theese turns, during Myth phase a NEW portal is opened! Close one, open FOUR....

Am I missing something? I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to win by closing/sealing portals with so few players...

For one, it "only" takes 3 turns:

Turn 1:

Movement + Arkham Encounter (which sucks you in) + OW Encounter

Turn 2:

OW movement + OW Encounter

Turn 3:

OW movement + Encounter (this is when you close/seal)

For another, not every Mythos card open a new gate. you can get a monster surge and after you seal a location, a bounce on the seal. With expansion, you also get no gate cards that add 2 doomers or cause a monster surge.

Quote:
- Play two characters per player: Well. It's a possibility... But I prefer use only ONE character per player.

I solo with 4 investigators and play 2+2 investigators with my friend. It works perfectly fine, in fact, might say better than just 1 investigator, as you do get delayed or LiTaS/lose your turn, in which case having just 1 investigator does make it seem like your not doing much.

That said, base game with just 2 should be perfectly beatable by sealing at least, closing is probably harder. I use everything but KH these days myself, but have been using 4 investigators for 90+ games now, after learning the game with 2 and 3 early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick at it. We play with just two players almost all the time plus loads of expansion stuff thrown in as well and it's just poy-fekt.

With the base game alone once you've figured out some tactics you'll soon be kicking some slimy GOO arse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WIth no intention to bragg, I've played 4 games and won 2 of them - each with 2 investigators. Once we blew Yig's head off after he was roused when the terror track got too high. Yesterday we managed to seal 6 gates whilst Azathoth's Doom Track was at about 10 - there were a fair few Monster Surges. So it is very possible to play with 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the base game, two investigators is the bare minimum to stand a decent chance at winning by anything other than final combat. But even then, three investigators is the recommended minimum. Try to shoot for three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaikus wrote:
Could be a good variant to have only one Myth phase every two turns? (movement/encounter/movement/encounter/myth)

Yes, this is a decent variant. We tried it, but, like the regular game, once you start sealing locations where gates frequently open, fewer gates appear, and the game becomes less interesting.

I would tweak it so that you draw Mythos cards more frequently once you start sealing gate locations. I would add something like "Draw a Mythos card on the next turn if a gate opens at a sealed location this turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try this:

If you did not draw a Mythos card last turn, you draw one this turn.

If you did draw a Mythos card last turn, roll a die. If the result is less than or equal to the number of seals on the board, you draw a Mythos card. Otherwise, you don't.

You'll go from having a Mythos card every other turn when you start the game, gradually increasing in frequency to having a Mythos card almost every turn once you have as many as 5 seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good variant idea. We find that Arkham is becoming a very difficult place for two investigators, what with all the strange goings on at Innsmouth and/or Dunwich.

I will give this variant a go next time we play. I like how it is calibrated to pick up speed as you seal gates and get closer to a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I wouldn't recommend it for anything with gate bursts, as that will probably be enough of a hassle. But with the slowed Mythos cards, it may well be playable.

Instead I'd consider taking at least 3 investigators, preferably 4. You can not do Dunwich well with only 2 investigators, as I found out when I first got it.

Always use at the absolute fewest 2 investigators (3 is better), plus 1 for each expansion board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Arkham is best with one investigator per player. Even if that means houseruling other aspects of the game to make it work and not be too hard.

We use two investigators, play hypnos or nodens as a guardian, and employ some mechanism for slowing the mythos cards. From now on I will be using the variant described a few posts earlier.

Our games are now tight, losing more than we win. At the same time, the game allows us to explore locations, and interact with Arkham's many splendid features. I would not like the game to become a ultra tight and paired down game of optimized clue gathering and gate seals. That would be too mechanical and would kill the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:
For me, Arkham is best with one investigator per player. Even if that means houseruling other aspects of the game to make it work and not be too hard.

Ordinarily I agree. But I usually don't get more than 2 people per game--and I use every expansion! 3 apiece is usually what does the trick in such cases.

Quote:
We use two investigators, play hypnos or nodens as a guardian, and employ some mechanism for slowing the mythos cards. From now on I will be using the variant described a few posts earlier.

Hmm, yeah, that sounds like it would be fine then. Just the "2 players in Dunwich" struck a chord with me. I started to dislike the game at Dunwich, only to realize that all the problems I was having was my stalwart insistence on 1 investigator per player. Using 2 per player at least allows you some actions if one of your guys gets incapacitated or blocked in for an extended period.

Quote:
Our games are now tight, losing more than we win. At the same time, the game allows us to explore locations, and interact with Arkham's many splendid features. I would not like the game to become a ultra tight and paired down game of optimized clue gathering and gate seals. That would be too mechanical and would kill the game for me.

My first 50+ games of Arkham were two-investigator (1 per player). This worked all right for the base game and the Dark Pharaoh expansion, but we used StormKnight's house rule and still found almost no opportunities to explore. As a result, stable location encounters were shrouded in complete mystery. Glad to see that you're going to see some.

Let us know how the variant(s) work(s)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Kaikus wrote:

- Apply the 'open portal' on Myth phase only every two turns: Good idea, I think.

Thanks

With 2 Investigators, we tried the Mythos card draw every other turn and found it too easy. Two options we might try next:

1. Draw Mythos Card every turn but ignore the Gate part every other turn. This allows monsters to move and increases the chance of a Rumor, etc...

2. Draw Mythos Card every turn but ignore the Gate part every other turn; however, do add a monster (or maybe two) at the location listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
We just tried with one of the 4 main gates starting sealed and that worked very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I read about this variant in another thread here. Basically, at the start of the game you roll a die to determine which of Independence Square, The Unvisited Isle, The Witch House, Woods starts the game with an Elder Sign token on it. We won the first two games this way but lost the third. To make it harder you could instead perhaps start with an Elder Sign on one of the secondary locations (Graveyard, etc...) or don't count the original sealed gate as one of the six needed to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Post

I played for the first time last night 2 players, 1 investigator each. We even managed to beat the game by shooting Haster (sp?) in the head .

I would like to see the mythos deck slowed down a bit as well.

I really like the scaling mechanism in Elder Sign. I'm thinking about using the clock from that. which means 2 turns per mythos card for 2 players, every 1 turn if 4 players, and 3 players in the middle (you do the math )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verry passant
msg tools
yesterday i play arkham horor. basic core set. no expansion.
all rules aplied.
mythos card every turn.
we play 2 games, each 2 characer only. and we win both games.

1st play :
darrel simons and joe diamond versus : Nyarlathotep
win by sealed 6 gate. terror rating : 9.

2nd play :
Monterey Jack and Dexter Drake versus : Hastur
win by sealed 6 gate. terror rating : 7.

add my blackberry to chat 263c500e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.