Dead of Winter (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stacking and movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Burden
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I'm new to this system, so forgive me if this is answered elsewhere and I haven't been diligent enough in seeking clarification, but I'm confused about stacking and movement. 8.21 clearly states units move individually, but shortly below that play note #2 begins with "Units moving as a stack." These seem contradictory. Am I missing a specific exception somewhere to 8.21? Or is it that play note #2 should actually read "Units moving into a stack?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That whole play note doesn't make any sense, considering that changing the stacking within a hex is addressed later on.

My understanding is that all units must move individually. But as I read this, you may be correct that it should read "into" a stack, as that would make sense with 8.24, which states that stacked units may change their order instead of movement.

Not sure if I helped or not. I hadn't noticed this on my reading of the rules.

Welcome to BGG.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking moving one stack of units, individually into the next hex, to create another stack...moved as a stack. The original stack can be remade in that hex, but if you choose to rearrange it, have the two unspent movement points and take UDD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that this game has special meaning to you, Scott.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Units move individualy . . . rules overide play notes. The raison d'etre for the rule is to recreate some of the problems of moving masses of men . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
Units move individualy . . . rules overide play notes. The raison d'etre for the rule is to recreate some of the problems of moving masses of men . . .

RHB

There we go. From the man. Thank you sir!

gvchief wrote:
I would guess that this game has special meaning to you, Scott.

Mike

I drive past the battlefield daily. I'm a transplant to the area, with a pretty new interest in wargames, and figure I can learn a bit of local history at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burden
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies all (especially the definitive one, Mr. Berg). Welcome to the 'Boro Scott. Don't live there but work there. Drive through Hoover's Gap every day. A game from this system containing a number of such small actions that are covered absolutely nowhere else would be wicked cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.