Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

If anybody wants to give me some feedback that would be great. I think I've got the rules fairly well balanced now, but I could be wrong

Cheers
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Celebrated my son's "Star Wars" birthday and was properly kilted!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really sweet! The only question that I have is why didn't you use all colors available in the base game? I would like to just put a copy of this in with my Pandemic game so when I wanted to play solo. Also a copy of the rules in PocketMod would also be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I didn't use the original colours is because printing the board on a4/letter sized paper means the cubes that come with pandemic are too big. I have a set of 4mm cubes, but in red, blue, yellow and green, so that is why I chose those colours.

There's no reason you couldn't use black instead of green, but you may want to print the board double the size I printed it.

Thanks
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really neat... and will try out in anger as soon as I can.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has a solution for the coloured dice. Not sure I want to mark any up, so will probably resort to some sort of throwing order of just D6's and these then equating to colours to numbers.

Also the "research roll" rules are a bit painful to read/understand. I am right in thinking that if you roll a black on your first roll, you HAVE to roll the other two dice again. i.e you can't just stop and have a black and one other colour. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention was that you had to keep the black dice, you could still keep one of the two other, or choose to reroll them.

Personally I think that if you've already rolled one black, you are best off taking one of the other dice too, rather than rerolling have having a 1 in 3 chance of rolling a second black.

Any suggestions on better wording gratefully received!

What I've done is order a load of blank dice from http://www.spielmaterial.de/english11/ plus a sheet of the circular labels that fit these dice. I'm then going to print out the relevant labels.

Obviously what you could do is have dice of different colours (example 1xred and 2xblue). You decide that each number matches a particular colour and then use the red die as the blank die and the blue dice as the number dice, or similar. This was the reason I numbered the roles, so the special role die wouldn't be mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:

Any suggestions on better wording gratefully received!

Andy

Who would be a rules writer? Does the following capture what you are intending? I am assuming that the option to re-roll in any scenario is at the player discretion....

"Roll all three coloured dice.

Any showing black must be kept (unless you are the Researcher, in which
case you may re-roll them once).

You may choose to keep any other (non-black) colours, and may at your choice re-roll any remaining dice.

On any re-roll, if a black face is showing that die must be kept,

At the end of the first roll (or re-roll if taken) you must keep two dice. The third is discarded. Note: Black must be taken in preference to all other colours.
"

Anyway my quick attempt...[And yes there is that big debate as to whether black is a colour]

[Edit spelling]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:

What I've done is order a load of blank dice from http://www.spielmaterial.de/english11/ plus a sheet of the circular labels that fit these dice. I'm then going to print out the relevant labels.

Ah! You do realise that they do coloured dice, so would only need to add the pips (numbers?). [EDIT: or then throw a D6 and allocate against each "colour" throw]

it is a common weblink but follow the following path

Home > Dice > Wooden dice > colour dice of width 15 mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I like the idea, but am curious as to why you chose to only go with four roles and five special events? Why not have six of each, adding more variety?

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
Hey

If anybody wants to give me some feedback that would be great. I think I've got the rules fairly well balanced now, but I could be wrong

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

the game seems a bit too easy. I've played five games, two at the introductory level and the rest at standard level. I've won them all! Okay I did come close to running out of cubes a couple of times, but I didn't get many outbreaks at all. Maybe I'm just lucky with dice - most of the fives came when rolling roles not research!

Video'd one game and so going to post a session report from it and put a speeded up version on Youtube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree the introductory one is easy, however, yesterday in the standard game I had all virus spreading around the map...and the outbreak caused me losing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nic

I know what you mean to a certain extent. I did lose yesterday, but only just and I've won more than I've lost.

There are only two main ways I can think of making it more difficult. The first is to start with more initial infections. So instead of 2x3cubes, 2x2cubes and 2x1cube, maybe try 2x3cubes, 3x2cubes and 4x1cube. That should make outbreaks more likely and running out of cubes more likely.

The other way is to either start further along the infection track (i.e. start on the 2nd or 3rd square) or for me to create a new track that has 2 squares between epidemics instead of 3.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,

in Pandemic you can choose the number of epidemic cards to play (4-6) so maybe to emulate this you could have a variable Infection Rate track, like as you say 2 spaces in-between. Though rather than editing a map, maybe a double sided printable track that you can lay on-top for the different difficulty levels. Combine that with different amounts of cubes for the start up and people can vary the level and keep the game challenging.

Thanks for designing this game, its really enjoyable.

(edit)

just to add more feedback. The end-game seems to be different to the rest. If you've cured 3, then more time is spent treating on the map as research rolls tend to be wasted on already cured diseases. I am going to try a rule of you can't keep cured ones on your initial roll, to see how that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that seems to be missing from this game is the actual viral feel to it.

I don't get the same vibe I get from the original pandemic where the viruses keep pounding the original cities while the diseases spread.

I have some ideas how to fix that, but I don't have time to put it to text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.