Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about how the New Caprica phase works.

Since the Admiral has absolute power over that last jump, you are basically screwed if he/she is a Cylon.

Has anyone had this happen in a game, or have you made making sure the Admiral is a human your number 1 priority?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:

Since the Admiral has absolute power over that last jump, you are basically screwed if he/she is a Cylon.

Has anyone had this happen in a game, or have you made making sure the Admiral is a human your number 1 priority?

Yes, this is important. Note that Ellen's once-per-game ability to take the Admiralty or Presidency for a turn also makes it important to know her loyalty if she is around by the time the New Caprica stage is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s a great part of the game.

My group has never had a Cylon stay hidden throughout a full game before. With the last jump resting on the shoulders of the Admiral, it works as a benefit to a hidden Cylon that has made it undetected through the entire game, giving him/her the possibility of still winning the game.

There have been games where the Humans kicked major butt then the sleeper phase comes along and forces a player to be bad with a slim to no chance of winning. The final jump part of New Caprica changes that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:

Yes. I played a game where the Admiral screwed us. We lost 8 Population and 3 Morale (putting us at 0 and 2 respectively) when he jumped us prematurely. I was pretty convinced he was the cylon, but couldn't convince others because of a newbie mistake made by some else around mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:

Yes, I've scored two cylon wins in this way. First as Cain, the second last night as Adama. In the first game, the human boomer was convinced that Tyrol was a toaster. Baltar scanned Boomer and said boomer was human. Tyrol got executed (and was human), then Baltar revealed as a cylon. The whole group was then convinced that Boomer was a toaster.

Last night wasn't as dramatic, aand the main stirring came from the cylon leader.

I think our group will now do a routine Admiral Execution on NC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
vampyrefate wrote:
nilus wrote:

Yes, I've scored two cylon wins in this way. First as Cain, the second last night as Adama. In the first game, the human boomer was convinced that Tyrol was a toaster. Baltar scanned Boomer and said boomer was human. Tyrol got executed (and was human), then Baltar revealed as a cylon. The whole group was then convinced that Boomer was a toaster.

Last night wasn't as dramatic, aand the main stirring came from the cylon leader.

I think our group will now do a routine Admiral Execution on NC.

Don't you feel that that's a bit... meh? That there's a required action you *must* take every single game?

Scripted moves should always be avoided in games, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
nilus wrote:

Yes, this is important. Note that Ellen's once-per-game ability to take the Admiralty or Presidency for a turn also makes it important to know her loyalty if she is around by the time the New Caprica stage is happening.

We just had our first game of Pegasus, and exactly that thing happened: Madame President Ellen Tigh was a model human throughout the game, so much so that the Cylon Leader Me was almost shouting at the two newbies at the table that I can't do everything myself on New Caprica and that they better reveal However, no revelations - until the President took the Admiralcy and ended the game with almost the whole fleet still grounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
I feel dirty.

In our first Pegasus game I grabbed Ellen Tigh and got a "You are a Cylon" right off the bat (the one that sends someone to sickbay). I played it mostly straight, only dumping skill checks when it couldn't be traced to me. I did manage to be mostly useless, and even "accidentally" executed someone for being a cylon. But in the end I stayed unrevealed until New Caprica and the instant the Galactica showed back up I grabbed the admiral position, hopped aboard, and left all the humans behind.

I won't be doing that again. It was a victory, but it felt cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Don't you feel that that's a bit... meh? That there's a required action you *must* take every single game?

Scripted moves should always be avoided in games, IMO.

It's only required if Ellen hasn't used her once-per-game and all of the cylons haven't revealed. Since there's usually very reason for a cylon to stay hidden all the way to New Caprica unless they're the admiral, it should only happen in games where the cylon is one of those two characters and thinks it will get them a win. It's scripted, but the times when the plot leads to that chapter should be fairly rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.