Popular Tags: [View All]
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I have to complete an order and have the possibility to choose ONE of the following (sorted by rating) but my question is 'If you were in my shoes, which one would you go for?':

- Coloretto
- Fairy Tale
- Guatemala Cafe
- Robber Knights (Raubritter)

And the context:

BGG trend? I suspect that the answers to my question will mirror the rankings especially considering that over 5000 people recorded owning Coloretto, half that number own Fairy Tale and only 491 and 668 respectively for GC and RK.
Only, I don't really believe numbers or what the mass of gamers purchase so I'm curious to see what a quick sample of users would do in my case.

Played by? The game would primarily be played by 2 players and I know decent play is possible out of these from the various variants posted here.

Value? All these are new and priced equally at around £10 ($16/€11), a very good price for Guatemala Cafe in particular.

There you have it, speak your mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Fairy Tail and all of my plays have been 2 player so far. I enjoy the game but I don't think that 2 players is the sweet spot for the game and I am looking forward to getting it played with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Robber Knights, I didn't like Guatemala Cafe, but I played it with 4; I think it would be a lot less chaotic with 2. Coloretto and Fairy Tale are decent, and Fairy Tale is my favorite of the lot, but I don't think I'd play either of them with 2. I've only used the regular rules, though, no variants.

Dunno how helpful that is, but there you have it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto doesn't work with two.

I'd probably go for Guatemala Cafe - seems good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four options listed I've only played Robber Knights, and it didn't impress me all that much--it seemed more about properly-timed opportunity than anything else, and I felt the theme was fairly weak. My experience as with three players, so I don't know how well two would work.

For what I've seen/read of the other three, I'd be leaning toward Guatemala Cafe myself.

Good luck! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly play Fairy Tale with my 10-year old daughter, and we enjoy it quite a bit as a 2-player game. It's quick as a filler, but very hard to put away after just one play. It does get more involved with more players. I must say that Fairy Tale is great value because of its replayability. I really enjoy the game.

Coloretto is a good game, but not for two players. The other two titles I cannot help you with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four I have only played Coloretto. It makes a pretty poor two player game. But is one of my most favorite filler games for 3-5. It's always in my traveling game box for games days.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for the feedback so far. I know the selection isn't great but I need to swap a couple of titles in an order and that's what I'm left with...

After reading a bit more about them and after considering your comments, I'm going to disqualify Robber Knights and Coloretto from the list. That leaves me with Fairy Tale or Guatemala Cafe, two completely different propositions!

Thanks again from making my choice easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guatamala cafe, since it's cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.