Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into BattleLore, and I'm having a great time! I was wondering, though, what expansions would be best to get next? No way I can afford to pick up them all right away!

I was thinking I'd start with Call to Arms, since that adds the deployment rules, and then I was interested in Heroes, for the semi-campaign rules the Heroes bring to the game. After that, though, I'm not sure!

100 Year War sounds really cool, but so do the race packs (and there are a lot of them!). I feel a little overwhelmed and unsure as to where to go after Heroes.

Any pointers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what kind of battles you want to play out. I would absolutely recommend 100 Years War, if for no other reason than if you can find it buy it immediately (it's out of print). It also adds a large number of useful human units if you'd rather not play with dwarfs and goblins.+

Call to Arms is useful if you want to play your own scenarios and draft your squads. In turns of adding new units, there are none.

The different race packs are pretty much take-your-pick. If you find a unit that looks interesting in one pack over the others, get that one. I like the goblin ostrich riders, for example, and the goblin band is a fun unit.

There are a few more expansions coming soon: Dragons and Creatures. They're not going to be cheap, though. Heroes should give you some variety until you find other units you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would go with Call to Arms and Hundred years war first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a couple of hours online looking for 100 Years War and didn't find it. So I wouldn't start there, but it is the first purchase I would make if I could find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on information from a source I trust, the early Goblin and Dwarf packs are now collector's items. Supposedly supporting materials for Battlelore--and they will be coming--are assuming a different approach now that FFG has the rights.

If you want the old stuff, buy it NOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent an hour or so looking for Hundred Year War using Google with no success within the US. I spent 10 minutes looking for it on Yahoo and found it very quickly. I was also able to find a store with Goblin Marauders and Dwarven Battalion. Past attempts had made me think all three were gone, but there are apparently still quite a few out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: This morning I had an e-mail that my order for Hundred Years War had been cancelled, so I guess there are people selling it who either don't know they are out of stock or who take orders without having inventory. I was able to find another vendor who claimed to have it, so we'll see if this order sticks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.