Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game ratings: Do you use the ratings definitions provided under the info button thing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious to know if the little ratings chart provided is what most people go off of when rating games. If not, what would you change about the provided definitions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I use all the provided definitions except for 10 and 1, which I reserve for shill and anti-shill ratings.

In all seriousness now, I generally try to use the definitions but reserve the right to "tilt" a game up or down. Some games like Descent or Android I think are great, but don't want to play very often for a variety of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I DO use the definitions, which for me are counter intuitive. I think the average game is pretty decent, and I enjoy playing it, and would rate it 5. By the bgg definition, that would be 6.5 - 7.5, So I give out lots 6-7s.

Now granted I am fairly new to the hobby and my plays are heavily influenced by what I read here, so perhaps BGG has sheltered me from a dearth of 'average' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this in a FAQ somewhere or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do use the ratings, but as a result I never give out 10s or 2s (1s I reserve for broken games or non-games). Someday, I would like to come up with my own variant scale that includes 10s and 2s, but that would mean (potentially) rerating all of the games I have rated to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I prefer the alternate ratings guidelines that were discussed here.

10: Outstanding game. One of my all-time personal favorites.
9: Excellent game. Always a pleasure to play. Shines under most circumstances.
8: Very good game. Rarely disappoints me. High on my request/recommend list.
7: Good game. Usually willing to play. I might even request or recommend it.
6: OK game. Some fun or challenge at least. Enjoyable in the right circumstances.
5: Average game. I'm indifferent, but may be willing to play.
4: Below average game. I avoid playing and would need to be persuaded.
3: Poor game. Will strongly resist playing.
2: Very poor game. I refuse to play this.
1: Dead game. Seriously negative entertainment value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I've been on BGG a long time, I only bothered to add my ~100 game collection in the last week. So, I've recently looked at those rating definitions for the first time, and they were not what I expected.

Specifically, it's clear only a small minority of the 10 ratings on BGG follow the definition given, which is that one would be willing to play the game any time and imagine that will always be so. Since I actually used that definition in rating my games, it meant I gave far fewer 10's than I expected.

To be confident of durability requires history, which means games without requisite history are, by definition, not 10's. I decided not to rate a game as a 10, by the given definition, if I haven't played it for 20 years, which would be most of my adult lifetime. So, many games I love and will currently play when anyone is willing, such as Le Havre, can't be 10's because they simply haven't been out long enough meet to the definition. One can quibble with the 20 year mark, maybe reducing it to 10 years, which would allow me to raise the ratings of games like Puerto Rico or Age of Renaissance, but there's no way one with sense and understanding can make that age requirement less than 5 years.

In light of this, I've been amused by how off base the recent whine about ratings threads have been. Consider the following "shill busting" algorithm that is more credible than any laid out in any of the recent threads, less pedantic than any of them, and, I suspect, most will agree is totally inappropriate. List all users that have rated any game less than 5 years old as a 10, and disregard all their ratings for all games. After all, rating a "young" game a 10 proves that they didn't read the definitions, didn't understand the definitions, or are so lacking in imagination that their view of games can't be considered credible.

If you claim to be giving a young game a 10 under the current definition, it gives no information about the game but, rather, information about you.

Edit: The alternative definitions Jonny5 listed are more intuitive, and I think they would work better. Since the thread he references was started 3 years ago, I guess it's unlikely to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
lewis wrote:
List all users that have rated any game less than 5 years old as a 10, and disregard all their ratings for all games. After all, rating a "young" game a 10 proves that they didn't read the definitions, didn't understand the definitions, or are so lacking in imagination that their view of games can't be considered credible.

Or they just really like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow the definitions. Which means that I will probably never rate a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do use the BGG definitions - I apprecaite them because they inidicate how much I do and want to play a game, which works well for me. And for that reason, I end up rating games on the low side, because there are lots of games that I'm just not interested in playing even though I see lots and lots of people DO want to play 'em...

I also go back every once in a while and re-rate games according to my current tastes. I do have shifts in what I like to play occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely feel the BGG ratings system should be changed using ekted's guidelines. I paraphrase here:

A: Always willing to play, and will suggest playing.

B: Always willing to play, but will not suggest playing.

C: Will argue against if suggested, but will play if outvoted.

D: Will not play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I feel BGG's default dual purpose ratings description, where each level is used to describe both desire to play and the quality of the game (which can often be completely at odds with each other), is inherently broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time there is a discussion about ratings, someone complains that the ratings of someone else are wrong, because they don't follow the BGG definitions. I got tired of pointing out that those definitions are just guidelines, and everyone is free to rate games using whatever system they want.

I use the guidelines to some extent, but I will largely consider the quality of the design, and even production a bit, not only my desire to play the game. Sometimes I use the definitions partially, as I have given a few ratings of 1 to games that are not broken but "you won't catch me dead playing". I wish there was a rating of 0, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what some people are really saying is: "people use the ratings in different ways and for different purposes, putting the final result (ratings) in question"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dcorban wrote:
So, what some people are really saying is: "people use the ratings in different ways and for different purposes, putting the final result (ratings) in question"

I don't think any alternate system would fix that, though.

The only solution I can think of is for people to take the final aggregated ratings with a grain of salt and not get worked up about which game sits at #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the scale to the letter. And I use the whole scale, too; if I wouldn't want to play the game again, it's getting a 3 or less.

I don't have a "5 year rule" for 10s as was suggested earlier, but I do have rules that prohibit giving games 9s or 10s right off the bat. Instead, new (to me) games that I really like are given provisional 8s. If, over time and repeated play, I still really like the game, I'll consider bumping it up to a 9 or even a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do use the rating system which is why so far my only 10 is a game I've been playing for over 20 years.

Unfortunately BGG's rating system doesn't work because not every one who rates games uses the guidelines, which means the numbers don't really represent anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I use the suggested guidelines but take them with a grain of salt and read whatever I want into (or out of) them. What I end up with in my mind is something like this:

10 = totally rocks!
9 = rocks big-time
8 = rocks
7 = very good
6 = pretty good
5 = fair
4 = poor
3 = sucks
2 = sucks big-time
1 = totally sucks!

In some cases, I'm still at a loss as to how to rate a game. There are games I admire greatly (i.e., I think they're superb designs) but would never personally want to play--and I don't know whether to rate those high or low. (At the other extreme, there could be games I love to play even though I consider them mediocre or even poor designs. Can't think of any offhand, but it's a possibility.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
lewis wrote:
List all users that have rated any game less than 5 years old as a 10, and disregard all their ratings for all games. After all, rating a "young" game a 10 proves that they didn't read the definitions, didn't understand the definitions, or are so lacking in imagination that their view of games can't be considered credible.

If you claim to be giving a young game a 10 under the current definition, it gives no information about the game but, rather, information about you.

Ditto.

But then again. In Poland we say that only a cow does not change its mind; by which I want to say that it is everyone's obligation to keep the rates current for the sake of BGG community. Everything in this world fluctuates and so people do change their tastes particularly when new games are published so frequently. When I rate, say, Perikles and Brass with '10' it just means that for the time being these are the games I am always willing to play and expect to remain so for relatively long time. But this is not to say that other game will not take their place - given that an amount of a free time (i.e. when I can play board games) is too inadequate for my needs, I would always prefer to play games I like most at the moment over bringing myself to play the games I rather not play at the moment even though I've rated them highly on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lewis wrote:
Specifically, it's clear only a small minority of the 10 ratings on BGG follow the definition given, which is that one would be willing to play the game any time and imagine that will always be so.

I think the only information it gives is that one has the ability to imagine more than a week into the future. The word "imagine" does appear in that bolded text, after all.

I might agree that I see too many 10's thrown about. But I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater: some games really do just grab you, and you can see yourself playing with your buddies in the retirement home already. (And yes, sometimes you'll be wrong. Fortunately, you can change your rating at that point.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I rate using the guidelines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I use the ratings chart!

I'm also smart enough not to pay attention to the ratings! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit not to follow the "willing to play" - modus. I follow my opinion (more the "objective" point of view) of how good is a game, and my taste (how much I like it, even if it is unbalanced, under-developed or whatever). Sure, this is not "perfect", but many people together with different guidelines make up a great poll for these ratings.

Maybe I should add, there is only a single "10" for me, and no "1" so far. I am rarely disappointed by games I play or buy, also because of the great information available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason F.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine:

10 = Play and own
9 = Play and own
8 = Play and own
7 = Play
6 = Play
5 = Maybe Play
4 = Don't think so
3 = Nope
2 = Hell No
1 = Get out! Step away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
lewis wrote:
Specifically, it's clear only a small minority of the 10 ratings on BGG follow the definition given, which is that one would be willing to play the game any time and imagine that will always be so. Since I actually used that definition in rating my games, it meant I gave far fewer 10's than I expected.

To be confident of durability requires history, which means games without requisite history are, by definition, not 10's. I decided not to rate a game as a 10, by the given definition, if I haven't played it for 20 years, which would be most of my adult lifetime. So, many games I love and will currently play when anyone is willing, such as Le Havre, can't be 10's because they simply haven't been out long enough meet to the definition. One can quibble with the 20 year mark, maybe reducing it to 10 years, which would allow me to raise the ratings of games like Puerto Rico or Age of Renaissance, but there's no way one with sense and understanding can make that age requirement less than 5 years.

In light of this, I've been amused by how off base the recent whine about ratings threads have been. Consider the following "shill busting" algorithm that is more credible than any laid out in any of the recent threads, less pedantic than any of them, and, I suspect, most will agree is totally inappropriate. List all users that have rated any game less than 5 years old as a 10, and disregard all their ratings for all games. After all, rating a "young" game a 10 proves that they didn't read the definitions, didn't understand the definitions, or are so lacking in imagination that their view of games can't be considered credible.

Christ, look at what an arrogant pinhead you are. "My conception of how games are rated is the only one that shall be countenanced. If you fail to abide by my notions of what game ratings mean then you are a gibbering baboon and your views should not be counted. Let me whip out my trusty rating guidelines and ascertain whether your rating of 9 for Battlestar Galactica is truly justified or merely an artifact of your incompetence at gauging the true value that a game has to you"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.