California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica
Online BGG Game Session “BSG 28 - Battlestar Pacifica”

Brian’s games of BSG are so successful, that with his help, I am going to launch another one: “BSG 28 - Battlestar Pacifica”
Spoiler (click to reveal)
BSG is Battle Star Group , and since nobody chose Pacifica and I'm living on the Pacific Ocean, I thought I'd usurp the name before someone else does.

=====================================================================
Ladies and Gentlemen! Allow me to introduce the crew of BSG 28 The Battlestar Pacifica!

In Player Order they are:

Smoo will be playing Tom Zarek

PersonWhoLives will be playing Kara Thrace, aka Starbuck

Eppic will be playing Admiral William Adama

TerminusEst will be playing Karl Agathon, aka Helo

DarrinWilliams will be playing Madame President Laura Roslin

Marstov will be playing Sharon Valerii, aka Boomer

=====================================================================

As per Brian’s agreement with FFG we will only publish card titles - which means anyone involved will have to have access to a copy of the game to reference the cards.

(A)Here is the plan and framework of rules:

1) I will moderate this game, distribute all cards, and be arbitrator of any disputes. I will not participate in the game play.

2) I will update the board images when I can.

3) Invitations will be bgg mailed to the next six players on Brian’s sign-up list. If any pass, more invitations will be sent out until we have a full game. Because of the Pegasus status, I will ask those who have indicated a preference for Pegasus if they would like to wait. Those that are on vacation will be passed.

4) All players should have access to a copy of the game as I am only going to publish card titles.

5) We will follow the FFG rules as best as possible, consult the latest FAQ as needed, and contact Corey on major issues that cannot be resolved. This includes drawing for characters, secrecy rules, etc.

6) Comms: We will use GeekMail to exchange all private information (such as type of Skill cards drawn, and type of Skill cards played into a check) but all other info should be public and therefore POSTED to this thread (such as quantity of Skill cards drawn, and title of Crisis card drawn. Direct player to player communication is discouraged (since I can't monitor it anyway) so all communication should be in the forum thread. Anyone can comment in the threads (including non-players) but players must discern what they listen to and what they ignore!

Note: Discussion via Post is welcome at any time, especially prior to any decision being announced. Announcements are to have the decision in bold to indicate that discussion is closed, as far as moderating the choice is concerned. Feel free to continue any recriminations and finger pointing.

7) Once a turn has been completed, I will post the summary of the turn and the graphic of the game state in a GeekList.

8) It seems likely that we can only complete a player turn a day. I will do my best to respond with card draws and other intermediate game maintenance throughout the day. If play moves quicker, that is fine.

9) Play will be based on the style of the first few games Brian has run, with two notable exceptions:
- Player Interrupts that FAVOUR the Cylons will ONLY be done as Contingency Orders.

-- This will save a “go around” before each Cylon ship activation.
- Other Player Interrupts will still be done in order "around the table" except that:
-- ANY player who has not yet passed may act out of sequence to "toss in" their copy of an Interrupt Card.

-- First down, first played. (more below in C3).

10) If anything seems questionable, please GeekMail me before Posting.

11) Any rule clarifications posted in other threads are applicable here., unless superceded above or below.

(B)Player requirements:
1) Sign on daily or more frequently, with advance notification of off-air periods, such as weekends away, etc

2) Please send me a GeekMail with your preferred name that I may call you (if different than your BGG info) and an alternate means of contact (like your email address or a place I can text message to "nudge") in case I can't get your attention on BGG. Also, please subscribe to this thread for notifications.

3) Please use Contingency Orders whenever possible. Specifically required for any Player Interrupt that will aid the cylons, such as Strategic Targeting while a BaseStar is firing upon Galactica. Also required for your “once a game” ability if it is not an “Action”. That is to say, I’m not going to wait for such comments to be posted, but will move along. Thus you NEED to get them in to me as Contingency Orders. I will accept a “please check with me if …” Please include any expiry times for these orders as well. This keeps the game moving. They can be as simple as: "Whenever I'm shot at, play an evasive manuever. Do not play an EM for shots on ships I am not piloting. Or they can be complex as: "If Zarek throws in 1 card, play these two cards. If Zarek does not toss in cards but Roslin has tossed more than two cards, play 1 card if Starbuck plays any card but 2 cards if Starbuck passes." I will do my best to make sense of them.

4) I will randomly assign player order once the player list is made up, and then you can select characters.

5) PLEASE use IMAGEID avatars of your characters as the first line of your post. I have numerous pictures in my Gallery of the various characters. Feel free to pick and choose, or to upload your own. I prefer the IMAGEID over your personal avatar so that
- This list will be understandable a year or more from now
- You can change your Character Picture if the mood suits you.

(C)Player Turns

0) Discussions can and should occur at any time during the turn. A decision posted in bold ends the discussion for me as a moderator, in that it allows me to advance the game by moderating the effect of the choice. It does not have to stifle any further discussion or recriminations, although they will now be "after the fact".

1) I GeekMail you stating which Skill cards you drew. If you have a choice of skills Post how many of each type you want. Contingency orders accepted.

2) After you receive your cards, Post your Move and your Action. Announce if a Skill Check is necessary. Also, game 1 has determined that the CURRENT player is the first player capable of playing interrupts. We will certainly do so as well. After all, if the current player plays interrupts there might not be any need for any others, greatly speeding up play. Please use Bold in your post to highlight all choices. Once discussion gets going in the thread, bolding will really help highlight the choices actually made.

3a) When a Skill check is necessary we will create a token for any applicable Interrupts (Investigative Committee and Scientific Research). A sample token looks like this:

Crisis of the Week wrote:

Helo - Pass
Roslin - Pass
Tyrol - Plays Investigative Committee
Boomer -
Starbuck - Pass
Zarek - Pass

- Interrupts are first come first serve, meaning, any player can play one out of turn. That is, if someone has already played that particular interrupt card, then you CANNOT do so

- Contingency Orders (C.O.) will be key to speeding this process up. But due to the nature of PBEM games please be prepared for this process to remain slow.
-- After all, revealing that you TOO have this card is breaking the secrecy rule.
-- If you and another player both POST the same interrupt at about the same time, then the latter post MUST be editted and the card removed!
-- This is analogous to F2F play where a second player gets ready to, or actually does, throw out the same card face-up.
--- "Pick it up quickly!" before anyone else sees it!
-- When you edit the post, remove the card reference and try and fill with something not too inane. Such as "Good, we need that card in play" or some such.
-- yes I know that such phrases can "become code", "nudge, nudge, wink, wink." Try to avoid it, and think of something else to say.

3b) The second “go around” will begin as soon as the first completes, or becomes moot. A token will be created to look like this:

Crisis of the Week Card Name YG 8 wrote:

Destiny - 2 Cards
Helo - 1 Card
Roslin -
Tyrol -
Boomer -
Starbuck -
Zarek -

- I will add the top two cards from the Destiny Deck (reshuffling as needed), and then prompt for the next player to toss in cards.
- If the skill check is concealed (i.e. no Investigative Committee has been played), Post the quantity of Skill cards you are playing (if any) and immediately GeekMail the type of each.
- If the Investigative Committee card is in use, then also post the colour and strength of each skill card. There will be a running tally, please update it.
- Once I have collected all Skill cards, post them in a standard order (Po/L/T/Pi/E) in order of their strength (High to Low), tally them, and declare the outcome.
- again, C.O.s will help speed this process up Please feel free to use them.
- if the skill check fails by 2, I will indicate that there is an opportunity to use Declare Emergency. Contingency Orders can help here. If I see that someone has one, I will try and Geek mail them to ask if they would like to use it.

3c) The key is to keep the game moving. If a player does not respond in 24 hours, they will automatically pass. Exceptions can be made if sufficient warning is given.

3d) Weekends will have slower schedules. We'll try to complete a turn a day during weekdays, but we won't hold players to this so they can enjoy their weekends.

4) I will Post the Crisis card, the current player (or appropriate player) will Post any choice, if applicable. Again, discussion via post is welcome prior to any decision being announced. Crisis Card Skill checks will be handled as above in point 3.

5) Ship Combat: if ships are to be activated, the current player will Post each section to be resolved and Post any other decisions that are necessary. Each space section has been identified with numbers and each ship will be labeled for positive identification during communication. And again, there is plenty of room for discussion by post of any issues or concerns. Just be sure there is a post showing the decision in bold.

6) Player Interrupts during space combat can make things drag.
- Please have contingency plans in when you have the ability to affect the space combat. These include Maximum Firepower, Evasive Manuevers and Strategic Planning.

7) Advancing the Jump Track – will be covered in my end of turn post to this forum, plus summarized in the geeklist.

8) If you are over your hand limit, GeekMail which cards are to be discarded. If you they are to be randomly determined, I will Geekmail You with the cards.

9) If any choices are to be private, I will GeekMail the choices (such as the 2 destination cards for the admiral, etc.). You will geekmail me with you choice . Then You will Post any public knowledge and any discussion or rationale, subject to Secrecy Rules

("GeekMail" indicates private communication to only me and "Post" means public communication on this thread)

(D)"Table Talk" or “What is Secret, and what isn’t?”

1) Under no circumstances should anyone reveal their hand or any other secret info. Anything that would happen “openly” in a F2F game is Posted, by you, to the forum. Anything secret is geekmail’d to me.

2) Accuse all you want and spread discontent among the crew. If Loyalty cards are revealed to you, it is at your discretion to discuss what you did or didn’t see. Just don’t quote my geekmail to you.

3) Exact Values and Titles of Skill cards YOU POSSESS are to be kept secret, though you may describe them in vague detail. Also, things like Loyalty Cards and Civilian Ships that have been observed can be described in vague detail, but no exact info should be quoted or stated. Thus, no saying "he is not a cylon" (that's a quote), but you can say "he's ok". That's ambiguous. Similar for ships, do not say "Pop1", "Nothing" or "Pop2". Say things like "People" (but not how many), "some resources", "Nothing important" or even "GAWDS OF KOBOL: SAVE THAT SHIP!" Again, these are vague, and somewhat ambiguous, and therefore within the spirit of the game.

4) When asked how much you can help with any given skill check, the only two responses are "a lot" or "a little." Nothing in between. It is up to each player to decide whether their help is a lot or a little. (It is acceptable to say "I can help either a lot or a little."

5) When you have a choice to play a card on Top of a Deck or on the Bottom, the only two acceptable responses are "Top" or "Bottom".

5) You can ask for specific cards BY NAME, such as Investigative Committee. But NO ONE can tell you they actually have it! About the best they can do is tell you to "I can help with that" or "I'll do the best I can". Or even "Do we think this is a good time for Scientific Research?"

6) When Crisis cards come up or Skill checks are required or any other decision is required, feel free to solicit help, solicit specific cards, or otherwise influence the decision as you normally would. Likewise, if you are the one making the decision or debating playing a Skill card for the effect, feel free to solicit advice on what to do. Heck, if you want to post a poll, have at it.

(E)Sample Responses

1) Nice one with imageid:

Apollo wrote:

I will take the rear-guard and baby-sit the civvies!

*Tube-launch* Woohoooo!

## Apollo takes command of the viper in Sector 5

2) An example of why I don’t like "just changing your avatar":
Jormi_Boced wrote:

Move: Communications
Action: Contact C and D Civies, Move C to Sector 4 and D to Sector 5.

I am also not sure if D is necessary to move, but the further from Cylons the better probably.

3) Very good, even though it's terse
Adama wrote:

No interrupts from me.

4) Excellent Example:
Zarek wrote:
Dungeonmaster of the gods wrote:
Basestar 1: Roll: 7 - Damage: Armory
Basestar 2: Roll: 5 - Damage: Weapons Control

2 Galactica Hits; Adama is sent to Sickbay

Well, Frak, Frak, Frak, Frak, Frak, ..., Frakking Frak! Frakk!

[smokes doubie to settle nerves]

Admiral, you seem to be recovering quite well. I've had some of my acquaintances pull Doc out of Sick Bay for a moment or two. Are you ready to make a break for it?

Move: To Press Room
Action: Issue an Executive Order (2) to Admiral Adama

Admiral, as much as I've voiced dissenting opinions on the nukes issue, I now believe that, due to the outrageous attack by the Basestars, the nuke option should be put back on the table. I leave it to your judgment.

Note: Since I'm now in the Press Room, if the Cylon Situation settles down, an XO thrown my way would allow me to draw 4 Yellow cards. Which should be very helpful in skill checks.

Zarek

That's about it, I think. If you have any questions, please ask/post now.

Thanks,
Tom

Ps. Finally, a really BIG thanks to:

brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb

for getting the first two games going.

Much of the above is pulled from his two games, either literally cut and pasted, or modified slightly. ghs2

Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

for providing such useful information such as rules, links, positive encouragement

and lastly, thanks to:

Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For getting me more comfortable with GIMP!

pps. USEFUL LINKS:

Gerry's Gallery where images are stored: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/157184
Brian's Gallery where images are stored: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/84935
Geeklist of images that can be used:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42419

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BSG 28 - Battlestar Pacifica - forming now, invites sent.
One last thing - if everyone is willing to create an account at:

www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/

We could use Cassandra to help us with his game.

Benefits:

1.) Track everything through a Private Chat Room.
2.) Ability to track all posts by player.
3.) Possibility of Private Chat Rooms (to simulate Whispers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reporting for duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take starbuck. I have yet to play a pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

Reporting for duty!

It looks like that shiny new Pegasus has stolen a lot of people off the waiting list. I'll gladly fly this bucket of bolts anyday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to insert an image from work. Anyone know the shortcut?

---------------

I select William "Husker" Adama. You'll be getting a morale boosting speech shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
I can't seem to insert an image from work. Anyone know the shortcut?

---------------

I select William "Husker" Adama. You'll be getting a morale boosting speech shortly.

[ ImageID = 510002 ]

Without the spaces. Trust me, I've used this one a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logistics:

Skill Card Decks Shuffled.
Destiny Deck Built. Destiny Deck Shuffled.
Tom Zarek's Hand has been Dealt.
Destination Deck Built and Shuffled.
Crisis Deck Built and Shuffled.
Quorum Deck Built and Shuffled. First card will be given to the President.
Civilian Ship Order has been created. Ships A and B will be behind Galactica.
Damage Tokens Organized.
Loyalty Deck needs to be built and dealt.

Player Skill Card Draw Choices (3) to be made.

When I get home tonight I'll build the starting board image. Just look at the rule book to see the basestar in front, Ships A and B in back, and two vipers, one out each launch tube.

For quick reference, starting locations:

Zarek - Administration
Starbuck - Hanger Deck
Adama - Admiral's Quarters
Helo - Caprica (off board)
Roslin - President's Office
Boomer - Armory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello men and women of the Twelve Colonies. As you know the coming months will no doubt be tough, but I have every confidence that Admiral Adama and his fine crew will be up to every challenge.

As for myself, I will strive to represent your interests to the best of my ability. I will always be open to suggestions, but I must always keep the interest of the colonies above that of any particular interest.

I welcome you all aboard Galactica, and am looking forward to serving with her fine crew.

Is that formatted OK? I'm sure I'll screw something up along the way, but when I do, just let me know and I'll fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since my choices are a) Boomer or b) Chief, also known as "Teh Suck", I guess I'm going to be flying recon!

Just let me get suited up and I'll start looking for the fastest way to our new home. With Starbuck to handle the shooting, I suspect I'll spend more time in a Raptor than a Viper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BSG 28 - Battlestar Pacifica - The Journey to Kobol
Moderator Request:

Please post which 3 Cards you will draw for you initial hand. (They must be from your normal 5 card draw.)

Tom Zarek will receive all 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
DarrinWilliams

1 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/4454...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cassandra Project wrote:
Player List According to Cassandra:
DarrinWilliams

1 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/4454...

Um ignore her for now, we should have her barge in just one more time once we get the game going. I've geekmailed everyone on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For my initial draw. I'd like Two Politics cards and One Leadership card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My fellow colonials, we are embarking on a journey that none of us wanted and none of us asked for. We are the survivors of a genocide and betrayal so horrific that we journey along the razor thin line of utter extinction.

I am here to do my job, just like so many of you. The uniform and all it represents are one of the few things we have left to give us hope in this, humanities darkest hour.

It is my privilege, my burden, my right, and my job to lead this fleet into a glorious new beginning. I intend to root out the Cylon's in this fleet with dogged determination and all the hatred I can muster.

I look forward to working with you my friends. Madame President, the colonies need you now more than ever. Zarek and Boomer, I'll be keeping a close eye on you. I hope that you will be able to earn my trust.

Rest assured my loyalties are to the uniform and I intend to do my job.
Now you do yours.

I will draw 3 Leadership cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll take 1 Tactics and 2 pilot

Frakin' Toasters, you'll never shoot me. I'm the best pilot there is. I intend to have more kills out there then the rest of you put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Here I am stuck on this godsforsaken planet with frakken toasters everywhere. I don't think anyone is going to rescue me, so I'll have to make my own way to back to Galactica.

Helo draws 1 Leadership, 1 Tactics and 1 Piloting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caprica's been bombed, the Human Race is threatened with Extinction, and the last Battlestar has fled with the remaining Human fleets. Survival will not come easy.

Admiral Adama, Dradis Contact. A Basestar, Sir!
Raiders are being launched, Sir.

Just another frakkin' day. May the Gods be with you.

Turn 1.1 - Tom Zarek, Administration

Please post your MOVE and ACTION.

(will post board image later tonight)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We have a situation here, folks. Mr. Zarek, I don't think we need to panic, but I suggest you facilitate the flight plans of Starbuck or report to weapons control immediately.

I would understand, however, if you get stuck in the Press Room.

Let's move, people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb

Admiral Adama, are you trying to order me what to do? The civilian government does not take orders from the military. That would be an act of martial law. Surely that's not what you're implying, is it? The citizens of this fleet are not your playthings, sir.

Madame President, we have a basestar breathing down our necks and this administration deigns to give us orders rather than run their own affairs. The admiral is correct that one of our best pilots is currently sitting around the hangar bay instead of out on patrol where she should be. I will remain here in order to keep a closer eye on this "relationship" between your office and our military, as the good people of Sagittaron elected me to do. I also propose Resolution 831b, an executive order to have our capable pilots get out into patrol and deal with that Cylon threat! The people demand action!

Move: None
Action: 1-Executive Order on Starbuck

The edits are for spelling & grammar mistakes only, not content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Image:

Zarek has issued orders to Starbuck!

Starbuck: Please post your Move & Action or Action & Action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Woohoo! Time to turn these toasters into toast!

Action 1: launch in viper to sector 6 & move to sector 1.
Action 2: play Maximum Firepower, targeting the raiders first, and if I get three kills in three shots, the basestar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personwholives wrote:

Woohoo! Time to turn these toasters into toast!

Action 1: launch in viper to sector 6 & move to sector 1.
Action 2: play Maximum Firepower, targeting the raiders first, and if I get three kills in three shots, the basestar.

"If you get three kills in three shots, I'm buying the drinks."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moderator Pause: Anyone who wishes to use a Strategic Planning for any of these rolls will be given time to play one. Post Pass if you wish to save any you may have. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No Planning. Just get those frakkers out of my sky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [31] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.