Popular Tags: [View All]
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I've been a huge fan of Space Hulk and the 40k universe since I discovered both late 1999. Normally I purchase games like most for my own hobby, and was lucky enough to swipe a new Space Hulk online for the SMP a couple of weeks ago. Now I see that on Ebay games are already going for at least $50 more than I paid for the game less than a month ago.. I am normally not a game speculator, but would it be wise to buy a second copy now to fund my Christmas shopping?
Any thoughts for and against would be most welcome!robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching several SH auctions recently on eBay (3rd ed.) and I'm not really seeing them go for $150..more like $120 or so. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle in time and shipping to net $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this up in a couple other threads... After all the brick and mortar stores sell out of inventory there is no telling what will happen.

Speculators
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/437507

Future selling price (from speculators) and when they plan to make their copies available
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/443541
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Likly no. The market is being flooded with these things and sooner or later there will hit a saturation point and the demand and bids will start to drop off. Moreso if ford spreads of the potential problems with the parts. If GW ever declares the figures illegal for use then the drop off could be quite dramatic indeed. Though this is relatively unlikely to happen.

Keep in mind that each box has the potential to contain broken or missing pieces so the value drops off there as well.

From past experience with the absolute destructive damage speculation has had on other companies, comics and CCG, my outlook on this is less than grim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
After all the brick and mortar stores sell out of inventory there is no telling what will happen.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I've been watching several SH auctions recently on eBay (3rd ed.) and I'm not really seeing them go for $150..more like $120 or so. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle in time and shipping to net $20.

QFT

Perhaps he's including shipping in the price, but I'd consider that a cost to the buyer, so it's a wash.

I can drive down to the only FLGS in my area that has Space Hulk and buy it for $99.99. Said store is about 25 miles away, or 50 miles if I calculate a round trip, which comes to about 2-3 gallons of gasoline on my mustang and equates to about a 1 hour drive. CA tax at the moment is something ridiculous, like 9.75%, which would bring the cost of the game to about $109.74 + 2-3 gallons of gas @ $3.10/gallon.

If I were to turn around and try to sell this game on ebay, it would undoubtedly reach at least $140 by the time bidding is over (because I offer "Free shipping"). I bet it would cost me at least $15-$20 to ship this game out, then I get to eat Paypal and eBay commission fees. So in the end, how much do I really get to walk away with for all of my time?

No, MY best bet would be to buy a second Space Hulk at a reasonable price while I still can and either:

1. Crack it open and get some 3+ player goodness.
2. Bury it in a closet (away from sun light) for a year or two, then check to see what the demand is.

Personally, I'm not going to do either. I already purchased a second set of Genestealers and am pretty confident that I can put together a 4 player variant with my complete set. Second, as a short-term investment, it's not very profitable and I'd feel like a scum bag if I sat on it as a long term investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
StevenE wrote:
After all the brick and mortar stores sell out of inventory there is no telling what will happen.

Then who ya gonna call?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, come Christmas, I'd be surprised to see any less than $200 on eBay, even with the current saturation *unless* GW decides to do another print run (doubtful).

One FLGS ordered 30 and sold out, the other ordered 25 and has 6 left. I'm going to buy one more for my son, and am now debating on a 3rd for "collectors"...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

ShNar, exactly what I said a while back alng with lots of others .

Just wondering why GW did not release the game nearer Christmas time ...a missed opportunity there, GW !

If amazon UK put the price from nearly £90 last week to £150 a few days ago, what will ebayer sellers do ?

I really pity the parents. Kids vs their peer group . It stands to reason that as we are nearing Christmas, the price asked for SH (say on ebay) will rocket sky high.

It is a concern in the present economic "crises" to parents. Maybe some kids will sell lots of their games to get a copy....fine and reasonable considering that this game is more likely to appeal to some them than Agricola.

Will the price come down after Christmas ? Probably around the end of January, I would say. But not to worry, there will be those selling their used copies and at a loss. At least, they might recoup something back after getting fed-up of their game (kids do, you knpw) !

As for adults...they will buy sealed copies beacuse of the "limited" factor and others will wait and see what happens to the SH fad before selling their copies. True SHukers will not sell.

The fact that someone bought "X" number of SH does not say that they are all lovers of the game, they are speculators. Kudos to them. If people can afford to buy, no problem. The problem arises when kids want to buy and cannot afford it. What will they do to get a copy of SH ? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Just wondering why GW did not release the game nearer Christmas time ...a missed opportunity there, GW !

How so? They sold every last copy and then some (OK, I guess some few still sit in some hidden GW stores), what more could they ask for? Those that still float around normal game stores are already sold by GW, and the five hundred or so copies they probably have sitting in one of their storehouses are only there to ensure they still have missing parts to send out and as such deliberately not for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Pricing, old chap ! GW could have made more money

Now, if the price were to have been...say $150, would they have sold as many nearer Christmas ?

What do you think ?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
King Friday wrote:
Ladislaus wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Then who ya gonna call?

Ghostbusters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SGResu GPq
Italy
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
Too many people think this...and they're buying additional copies to sell them. So, at christmas, we'll se a lot of copies on ebay...a lot of copies means lower prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then, Christmas next year

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Pricing, old chap ! GW could have made more money

Now, if the price were to have been...say $150, would they have sold as many nearer Christmas ?

What do you think ?

Regards

Tough sell at 150$, I just can't see SH as much of a christmas present outside our community and the GW crowd, and I certainly wouldn't have bought it at 150$ (especially not twice!)

I don't know, hard to tell if christmas would have had such an extreme impact on their sales as to nullify the 50% higher price tag.

Most around here buy most of their games for themselves, and if I'm buying for myself there's no reason to buy it for christmas instead of now. This goes especially for parents who now had a chance to make a 100$ purchase during a generally quiet month, instead of at a time when their pockets are already empty because they have to buy gifts for their children (And I'm pretty sure that for 99% of all children out there, 100 or 150$ towards a new gaming console are more valuable than a single copy of Space Hulk, even if they're into board gaming).

In light of that, I think selling it around christmas (Even for the same price) would actually have been detrimental to sales. Yes, there's a lot of money flowing free at christmas, but much of it goes towards presents (And a lot of products are released to take advantage of that), considering that specialty board games are more of an adult hobby (Who are naturally more in the position to give gifts at christmas than receive them), SH would probably have had to fight a losing battle...

EDIT:
One more thing I just thought of: Even with the sizeable GW community, and assuming that for them SH would have been a sufficiently great christmas gift to offset the higher price, selling mostly to their regulars (even with an increased short term profit) was never in the best interests of GW.
SH is and always was first and foremost a recruiting tool, many of the stories I heard from people who got into WH40k started with Space Hulk, and I'm sure ten or twenty years from now, the same will be true of SH3rd, selling a recruiting tool to people who are already on your side isn't very effective (In fact, it means creating a short time concurrent to your own product line, thus basically depriving you of profit due to increased manufacturing costs and logistical problems without any significant gain in sales), so selling it now and with the clear intention to reach as many new customers as possible, to give them enough time to turn into mini gamers in order to sell the things you ACTUALLY want those people to buy later (For example at christmas, a box of terminators is a much easier sell than a 150$ board game, especially for a newly discovered hobby), while still selling enough to your regulars (Who may even believe that your marketing tactic is some sort of 'gift' to the community, thus ensuring loyalty) to avoid incurring their wrath...

Well, let's say I'm willing to bet that move will make GW much, much more money in the long run than overcharging now and making a few bucks more.

It's a great move, many won't fall for it, but many more will, and that's a much better payout for GW after holding this product back for 20 years than some short term money.
And since it's a limited print run, chances are they'll be able to pull the same stunt 20 years from now to rejuvenate their business yet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.