Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
ala Medicare part D. I'm pissed now both sides have put on the knee pads for PhRMA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

But both pointing to the same thing: The White House and probably Congress apparently struck a deal with PhRMA to offer favorable legislation in exchange for millions of dollars in ads supporting what's come to be known as "ObamaCare".

I love how you imply that everybody calls it "ObamaCare."

Anyway, making promises to interest groups in exchange for money (direct or indirect) is completely gross, but it's par for the course. I wish that lobbyists didn't have such a say in the way that the government is run, but I know it's happening, and I'm completely unsurprised.

Even so, I'm confident that what we end up with will be better than what we have now. The question is, how much better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Anyway, making promises to interest groups in exchange for money (direct or indirect) is completely gross, but it's par for the course. I wish that lobbyists didn't have such a say in the way that the government is run, but I know it's happening, and I'm completely unsurprised.

Not only unsurprised but apathetic too!

This is why our government sucks. Because we don't speak out against corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
quozl wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

This is why our government sucks. Because we don't speak out against corruption.

People do speak out against corruption. The problem is that they're "poo-pooed" because it's only a little corruption (like the NEA conference call), or their voices are drowned out by the sound of millions of dollars pouring into campaign coffers when the "right" deals are made.

It's poo-pooed because they get re-elected anyway. If enough people spoke up and demanded justice, it wouldn't happen. But you're right -- right now, it's a low risk, high profit proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Single-payer healthcare now!!!

The French model (basically a single-payer baseline, supplemented by highly regulated private plans and an additional public plan for hard-to-insure groups like the elderly and poor) is much better in many ways.

I've always wondered why Americans immediately assume that Canada and the UK are the other major options on the table, considering that both systems are relative outliers in how they handle governmental delivery of healthcare. The debate over the past few months always seems to be framed in terms of Canada and the UK, though. Is it because we're English speaking countries, or closer than the rest, or because the differences are more dramatic, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

You are mistaking impotence for apathy.

As soon as I'm the head of a multinational corporation or lobbying group, I'm going to do something that affects this. Until then, I'm going to continue talking about it on internet message boards, voting in every election and occasionally writing letters to my elected officials. I don't expect that to have an inordinate effect, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
quozl wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

You are mistaking impotence for apathy.

They are closely related in American politics. And I know what you mean. Thank you for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.