Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
I'm still debating between iPhone and Blackberry. If iPhone were available for Verizon now, I would probably just go iPhone. But I don't want AT&T.

For those who use either, how does BGG work? Mainly, I'm interested in reading and posting in forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the iPhone, it works great. You can even thumb posts and respond easily.

The only two drawbacks with the iPhone browser is that there is no way to disable image animation. And there is no way to read text inside of spoiler tags.

There is also a BGG iPhone application which I have never used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, let me preface this with: I have neither, and don't know what I'm talking about.

However, as I've never let this stop me from posting in Chit Chat before...

Yesterday afternoon I was in a meeting with a friend/co-worker who had both (actually had both at the meeting there with us) and we asked him the same question (well, not specifically for BGG, but for web browsing) and he highly recommended the iPhone for browsing. Said it was overall a better experience for him - faster, better looking, better presentation, just all around better.

So there ya go - I pass his recommendation on to you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG works 80% as well as a full blown browser with the above restrictions; which are minimal.

I was not only flabbergasted at how well it has always worked, but that it's so fast! (fast given you're on 3G, and even faster wi-fi)

I do deliveries frequently, and going from desktop to mobile for BGG is fairly seamless an experience; even in the diminutive form that a mobile is.

I cannot say enough good about it. The IPhone is a wonder of mobile tech, even 3 years later; again GIVEN YOU ARE USING 3G OR WIRELESS. It's just so-so on Edge, but still superior to competitors.

As for the BGG mobile: It's good for basic info, but could use more work and/or customization options. The biggest thing is that you don't have to open Safari and navigate to the game on BGG. If the snapshot of info you get on the app is interesting enough, you can follow a link from the app directly to the games page in safari. So in that respect it's very handy. I more often simply browse to the game via safari.

1 huge vote for the IPhone

Edit: This is all based on a year's experience with the phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up the iphone two weeks ago. Don't know how I ever lived without it. For work / pure email I have been told Blackberry is the better choice. For play, I think iphone is the clear winner (and for work it is not bad either).

This is all dependent on being somewhere ATT has good 3G support. I did hit some back roads in Texas where I was on E which I assume was Edge. You could still read stuff, but it was a pretty slow load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has a Blackberry, and I have an iPod Touch. I find web browsing of all kinds to be absolutely excruciating on the Blackberry. The iPhone/iTouch's Safari browser just blows the competition away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.