Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything in the parallel universe is the same as yours except:

1. Space Hulk - as you know it in any incarnation - never existed.

2. You are a fan of a good number of eurogames, perhaps a handful of ameritrash titles as well. (This may or may not be true in your universe.)

3. A prolific German designer brings "Space Hulkasonne" to the market!

4. You receive Hulkasonne as a gift.

5. You take the time to memorize the rules.

6. You give it several plays with enthusiastic opponents.

7. The marine-eeples and alien-eeples in Hulkasonne are small 2-dimensional wooden meeples dipped in red and blue paint. Their profiles effectively indicate facing, but only provide vague representations of their subject matter.

8. The cardboard components are Carcassonne thickness, and are illustrated with Power Grid style drawings.

9. The rules and gameplay are identical to Space Hulk 3rd Edition.

Please give Hulkasonne your honest BGG rating:

Poll
      56 answers
Poll created by schmanthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of them, rated 6 and 9. no idea how would I rate HS. 2? 5? 6? damn, it's all about that bulky Terminators striving for survival against ferocious aliens - remove that and a couple of memories (like playing SH on Amiga) and you'll have some crappy boardgame that wouldn't event gather 30 votes to mess your holy eurotopten ranking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the point of this thread to try to prove that the only reason people rate Space Hulk high is because of its pieces. Because for me the look of the game does contribute a lot to why I like it. Rules have to be good of course but if there are two games with equally good rules sitting on the table, I will pick the ones with pretty parts and not the blocks of wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, it's impossible to "unknow" something once you know it, so I can't give an honest rating in answer to this question - it would be biased by my existing knowledge of SH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Space Hulk because of the miniatures, I like it because of the game play. The minis and look and feel just add to the overall atmosphere. But take all that away and use wooden meeples, and the game is still great and fun to play. My imagination will take over and I'll still love the game

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reduced my rating from 7 to 6. My rating of SH may change after some more games, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Travel Space Hulk to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Seriously, you guys are getting desperate. I thought you guys liked playing with your shitty childrens blocks and happy happy joy joy artwork? Why are you all suddenly so jealous that we get to play with quality parts?

Hey it's the OP here. I'm not one of those whose crying about SH being overrated as you seem to be insinuating. I'm actually just trying to figure out if I want to shell out $100-$200 at some point to buy SH - which I am genuinely interested in trying should I get the opportunity.

I'm sure I would enjoy the quality minis, and would even be compelled to paint them if I love the game. But if I feel that all I'm getting are high quality components and the gameplay is only mediocre, I'd be sorely disappointed with the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I try to drink a fine, hand-crafted lager from a sippy cup, it's probably going to affect the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
If I try to drink a fine, hand-crafted lager from a sippy cup, it's probably going to affect the experience.

Of course. But if it's a great beer, it will still taste great. That's what I'm trying to gauge here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
But if I feel that all I'm getting are high quality components and the gameplay is only mediocre, I'd be sorely disappointed with the purchase.

then maybe you should read some reviews of 1st ed, as they are more detailed in terms of general gameplay. seriously, looking at the ratings alone to decide whether a game is worth buying or not is like judging any stuff after watching it's TV commercial shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know? Does it really matter? Even if every Space Hulk player was a '10' rating shill does it really affect your life?

The only top ten that matters is the one on your profile, anyone else's is wrong.

Of course, if it overtakes 'Power Grid' then I'll change my mind and rate SH a 1. devil

But to answer the OP, the question/poll is pointless. The game is all about the theme. The components add to that theme. They help stimulate the imagination in a way that a meeple couldn't (although a meeple with a chainfist would rock...). The fact that there is a pretty good rule set attached is a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i refuse to rate games i havent played

although it does seem to be a case of AT trying to get in on the wooden bits scene, or the other way round...

i think i'll vote a one, because i can count to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
petegrey wrote:

THIS is a great idea!

Get a few blank Carc style tiles. Draw or print the required geography on them. Print the rules and missions in tiny writing. Space Hulk that fits in a VHS sized box. Space Hulk on the train. Sound like it would be a win with all those who want to play the game anywhere anytime.

The original post is an interesting idea. I see it's scoring a solid 8 at the moment which is very respectable.

I'm unsurprised that the conspiracy theorists and professional victims have crawled out from under their rocks to criticise. Ignore them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brooks
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing a custom space hulk game made using epic minis.

Edit: ah ha, found one. http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/mirrors/shc/travelsh.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ScottB wrote:

Wouldn't that depend on whether it's your first or fifteenth "hand-crafted lager" of the evening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Uruisge
Scotland
flag msg tools
petegrey wrote:

Groovy! Travel Space Hulk for when you're Travellin' and normal Space Hulk for when you're not!! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk is truly a great game. This is obviously my opinion, but I've had the first edition for years and loved it- 3rd ed. was just a pleasant surprise and icing on the cake.

Is there a lot of hype around SH on the Geek now? Yes. Is it deserved of said hype? Hell yeah. This is a reprint many longtime fans never thought to see. Add in excellent quality molds and beautiful boards and fans both old and new are EXCITED that this gaming gem is in production again.

If this type of game isn't your bag no harm or foul- pass it up. However to those in the know or those who are enamored of the 40k universe but don't have the time or income to buy/build/paint 1000 pt armies then this game is for you and (relatively) inexpensive.

Enjoy! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I prefer not to use memes on BGG, I have to go with the following statement.

"obvious troll is obvious"

I will not, however, post a macro picture of Captain Picard facepalming.
(We need a facepalm emoticon though, maybe I'll start a thread for that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.