Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Resistance HQ location, it's possible to execute a revealed Cylon, sending them to the Medical Center and stripping them of all of skill cards. I realise the resistance HQ is there to root out unrevealed Cylons, but there's also at least one New Caprica Crisis that allows the admiral to lose one morale to execute a revealed Cylon when passed.

There's hardly any point in executing revealed Cylons. Humans waste cards and an action to basically strip the Cylon of his hand of skill cards + 1 card that he doesn't get to draw because of Medical Center / Resurrection Ship.

What if the revealed Cylon also loses all Supercrisis cards currently in his possession? It would allow the humans to make a pre-emptive strike against the Cylons before Galactica returns. And it might actually be worth using the Resistance HQ against a Cylon with an unplayed Supercrisis instead of always prepping the next ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffdasheep wrote:
There's hardly any point in executing revealed Cylons. Humans waste cards and an action to basically strip the Cylon of his hand of skill cards + 1 card that he doesn't get to draw because of Medical Center / Resurrection Ship.

What if the revealed Cylon also loses all Supercrisis cards currently in his possession? It would allow the humans to make a pre-emptive strike against the Cylons before Galactica returns. And it might actually be worth using the Resistance HQ against a Cylon with an unplayed Supercrisis instead of always prepping the next ship.

I think, depending on the number of skill cards the revealed cylon possesses, his execution may pay off. He will probably have accumulated some skill cards with high values as well as treachery cards, and that can be nasty in combination with an unrevealed cylon playing reckless cards from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzerknacker wrote:
I think, depending on the number of skill cards the revealed cylon possesses, his execution may pay off. He will probably have accumulated some skill cards with high values as well as treachery cards, and that can be nasty in combination with an unrevealed cylon playing reckless cards from time to time.

I just can't imagine how executing a revealed Cylon could pay off.

Your scenario of targeting a revealed Cylon with Resistance HQ while an unrevealed Cylon is still in play is unrealistic, because any human worth their salt would never try that. They would always target the unrevealed Cylon first.

Speaking of executing unrevealed Cylons, the suggestion to discard Supercrises of an executed revealed Cylon is parallel to the rule that executing an unrevealed Cylon denies them their Supercrisis. Thematically, I imagine that their untimely death throws a wrench in their "master plan", making them unable to finish it. Even if they resurrect.

There's also no way of knowing whether an executed revealed Cylon will discard high cards or low ones. In either case, the Humans still waste many cards and a precious action in the deal because both Cylons will sabotage the check as much as they can. Cards that could have been used for an actual crisis, and an action that could have been used for prepping ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly, an unrevealed cylon is a much more attracktive target; I just don't see how that affects the question whether trying to execute a revealed cylon or not.

I can't say targeting a revealed cylon is unrealistic, because it in fact already happened in one of our sessions. If it was worth spending an action and skill cards on it - that's another question and of course hard to say. The reward for the humans may have been small, but I personally believe it payed off...

However, this mechanic is just another example of how untested this hole Pegasus expansion feels. But on the other hand, it's quite plausible to make the execution of a revealed cylon hardly effective, I mean regarding the story background. So, even though it's a weak mechanic, it's IMO a successful idea towards an authentical game feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t know why the humans would want to use up their cards to execute a Cylon. Perhaps if there was a way to send them to Detention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.