Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
What are the differences between this edition (ranked number 7) and the 1989 edition (ranked number 70, and the next highest ranked edition) that make this one so much better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome new game board.
Awesome new models
Rules cleaned up and presented nicely.

Did I mention how great the presentation is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go to a store and buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive amounts of hype combined with massive amounts of denial over the production problems and a dash of blindness on the perceived play enhancement value of the figures and the supposed "limited" factor of the game. And of course the all mighty *CULT OF THE NEW!!!*

Its New, its superultrahyper glossy. People have been waiting a decade or two for a reprint. Its cheaper than 1st ed on E-bay!

That and it cleves close enough to 1st Ed that the diffrences can be overlooked or reverted to 1st ed as needed. Space Hulk has a long history of solid rules backed by an interesting theme and good minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Martins
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hint: One of those editions went out of print before there was a rank on BGG.

Now, guess which? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness, they are *very* close. The reason for the disparity though is the freshness of the game:

- There are a lot of new players, thus more ranks.
- A lot of owners of 1st Ed probably didn't rank it (laziness, new to BGG, etc) and new edition is just reminding us to rank it.
- This version has higher quality components (if not gameplay), so could be the reason for the higher ranks
- Due to the freshness of the game, it's garnering a /lot/ of attention from people who wouldn't rank this game at all.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The fancy new models and components. Honestly, from everything I've seen/heard about it, 3rd ed. should not have its own entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The flamer rules are better. They re-introduced the timer, which was sorely lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new one is 63 better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal E. Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
The fancy new models and components. Honestly, from everything I've seen/heard about it, 3rd ed. should not have its own entry.

Much concurage.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Florence
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not just a reprint. The rules have changed. It plays differently. It is not the same game as previous editions.

People sweating about the high rank of this game should ask themselves which of the current top ten will have a new edition in twenty years that will excite the community. Not many, I'd bet.

Space Hulk is flying high on merit. The game is incredible, and is one of very few board games to influence other forms of entertainment (countless great video games). A site like BGG should cherish a game like Space Hulk. The suggestion that the game's up there on hype alone is insulting and disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
This edition makes Euronerds break out in hives and chuck hissy fits about the ratings.
I'm hoping somebody will have a stroke if it hits #3. I'm a bastard like that.

Didn't someone on another thread say they would leave BGG if Space Hulk passed up Tigris & Euphrates. I wonder if they are still here, it passed that a few days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biglime wrote:
This is not just a reprint. The rules have changed. It plays differently. It is not the same game as previous editions.

I dunno. I have both 1st and 3rd and I think that 3rd should have been combined with 1st/2nd. I realize this is a tricky situation and an argument can be made either way, that's just my gut feeling.

Yes, the rules have changed from the 1st Edition, but while I have not read a 2nd edition rule book, from what I've heard about it, the rules changes between 1st and 2nd were larger than the differences between 1st and 3rd and nobody has been all that concerned with those two being combined into one entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
This edition makes Euronerds break out in hives and chuck hissy fits about the ratings.
I'm hoping somebody will have a stroke if it hits #3. I'm a bastard like that.

To be fair to the Euronerds, the number of people that are actually breaking out into fits is a small percentage of them as a whole.

But God bless that small percentage, they have made the last few days here on the 'Geek very, very entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
biglime wrote:

I dunno. I have both 1st and 3rd and I think that 3rd should have been combined with 1st/2nd. I realize this is a tricky situation and an argument can be made either way, that's just my gut feeling.

Yes, the rules have changed from the 1st Edition, but while I have not read a 2nd edition rule book, from what I've heard about it, the rules changes between 1st and 2nd were larger than the differences between 1st and 3rd and nobody has been all that concerned with those two being combined into one entry.

At the same time, I've never seen anyone calling for the combination of all the redundant Monopoly entries. Space Hulk 3rd ed. is a bigger leap from 1st ed. than Deluxe Monopoly is from Monopoly. Or Life is from Life: 40th Anniversary Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
nilus wrote:
Didn't someone on another thread say they would leave BGG if Space Hulk passed up Tigris & Euphrates. I wonder if they are still here, it passed that a few days ago.

He was joking. Currently, he's instead saying that he'll quit UNLESS Space Hulk beats Agricola. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" he quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
filistimo wrote:
At the same time, I've never seen anyone calling for the combination of all the redundant Monopoly entries. Space Hulk 3rd ed. is a bigger leap from 1st ed. than Deluxe Monopoly is from Monopoly. Or Life is from Life: 40th Anniversary Edition.

I've been calling for that. For the sake of owning, it's one thing to separate the different editions. But when it comes to really evaluating the game system and discussing rules, it's pretty weird to have a database of game boxes.

But that discussion has been held for ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
filistimo wrote:

I've been calling for that. For the sake of owning, it's one thing to separate the different editions. But when it comes to really evaluating the game system and discussing rules, it's pretty weird to have a database of game boxes.

But that discussion has been held for ages.

I believe the seperate editions of Monopoly is a special case, as someone (Aldi? Derk?) wanted to track how many versions of Monopoly there are in the world. It's in a FAQ somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The third edition rules are different in a number of ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filistimo wrote:

Well I did say I could see arguments for both sides and this was just my particular gut feeling.

Still... Monopoly... Life? How many of the serious gamers on here (Ameritrashers, Eurogamers or hybrids like myself (YES! I admit it! I like BOTH kinds and I'm NOT ashamed of being a Euro/Ameri-style hybrid gamer!) spend serious time or energy worrying about how many entries Monopoly or Life have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcapclimber2001 wrote:
What are the differences between this edition (ranked number 7) and the 1989 edition (ranked number 70, and the next highest ranked edition) that make this one so much better?

A determined shill campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
elcapclimber2001 wrote:

A determined shill campaign.

Actually, that false allegation has been investigated and debunked by the admins. The only shill campaign here consists of the 1 ratings trying desperately to bring down this monstrosity as it kicks ass and takes names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
nilus wrote:

He was joking. Currently, he's instead saying that he'll quit UNLESS Space Hulk beats Agricola. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" he quotes.

Also sounds like "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

I want to watch Bugs Bunny now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

People sweating about the high rank of this game should ask themselves which of the current top ten will have a new edition in twenty years that will excite the community. Not many, I'd bet.

Space Hulk is flying high on merit. The game is incredible, and is one of very few board games to influence other forms of entertainment (countless great video games). A site like BGG should cherish a game like Space Hulk. The suggestion that the game's up there on hype alone is insulting and disappointing.

-Amen Brother,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.