Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Since the damage has been done already, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend, if Space Hulk does not overtake Agricola on the ranking by this Sun next Moon, I will quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you've already quit What you think you're doing back here? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Since the damage has been done already, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend, if Space Hulk does not overtake Agricola on the ranking by this Sun next Moon, I will quit.

For those not in the know:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/443821

This is the companion thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the fight, rate it ten!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA? I thought you were dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't say what he'll quit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll hop over Dominion before the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is how long it'll take to sink back down again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

And it still won't matter in the slightest.

Not one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MurrayL wrote:

I am not so sure that will happen for two reasons:

1) Its a 2 player games so you won't get as many people that will play occasionally that haven't already played and/or bought into the hype

2) Its still a miniatures game with all the associated complexities of learning the rules and/or rule lawyering that goes on in miniature games.

There aren't going to be a lot of people that play just 1 game and give it a low rating because it wasn't their cup of tea.

And the people that have already rated it a 10 don't seem to be the ones that will be reflecting on that rating much even if they don't play the game anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone should rate Space Hulk a 10 in protest of the system! Who is with me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone should actually play the game or at least have a working knowledge of one of it's precedents. Then when you rate it at least you'll not be rating out of yer hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner wrote:
I think everyone should rate Space Hulk a 10 in protest of the system! Who is with me!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
I think everyone should actually play the game or at least have a working knowledge of one of it's precedents. Then when you rate it at least you'll not be rating out of yer hat.

Methinks you are FAR TOO SERIOUS for this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Be sure and write once in a while!

See ya!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Worthington wrote:
2) Its still a miniatures game with all the associated complexities of learning the rules and/or rule lawyering that goes on in miniature games.

It sounds like you've either never played Space Hulk, or never played a miniatures game. Hint: not every game with miniatures is a "miniatures game" as the term is commonly used.

Space Hulk's rules are very clean and clear, quite unlike the rules in e.g. WH40k that constantly produce arguments over range, LOS, etc.

And for rules complexities, I can teach SH in about 10-15 minutes, far less than Puerto Rico or Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
awp243 wrote:
But you've already quit What you think you're doing back here? arrrh
Mayhaps a certain Favre character just might be one of my role models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
MurrayL wrote:

I am not so sure that will happen for two reasons:

1) Its a 2 player games so you won't get as many people that will play occasionally that haven't already played and/or bought into the hype

There aren't going to be a lot of people that play just 1 game and give it a low rating because it wasn't their cup of tea.

And the people that have already rated it a 10 don't seem to be the ones that will be reflecting on that rating much even if they don't play the game anymore.

You have obviously not played, or you are totally unfamiliar with "the associated complexities" of miniatures games.

Space Hulk (like a lot of the other games in the top 10) is a really fantastic example of its genre of games. I dislike bean counting economic games, but I like Power Grid- it is so good that it transcends its genre and can appeal to people who normally wouldn't go for it. Space Hulk is that good, that is why tons of people are rating it tens, and that is why you see threads full of meeple pushing euro players trying to figure out how to paint miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

...and teabag it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

...and teabag it.
milk+nose... you know the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly I don't care about the ratings, but the fervent nature by which people are defending Space Hulk as the best game ever and how dare you say that its not is disconcerting. That's not the tone, nor maturity that I have grow to appreciate from the BGG community.

I also readily admit that I haven't played the game nor have a real desire to seek it out and play. That doesn't have any relevance on my comments that this is the type of game for which it is unlikely that the ratings will go down dramtically. Both of the reasons I outlined are related to the likelyhood that the game will be played and rated by the sheer numbers that have rated the other top 10 games. As long as the rating remain within the hands of the converts its very unlikley they will go down.

Perhaps if its demonstrated that ALL the rules could be taught in under 30 minutes and the game is free of constant reference to rules, discussions of the applications of rules, versions of rules, reference to multiple different sources of rules, etc then I would play it.

I like the concept of a simple, elegant miniature game that plays in under an hour. Its the same appeal that Euro games have over war games - which I don't have time for anymore.

People have to realize that this genre of games comes with a lot of baggage and preconceived notions. Maybe this game breaks those, but I'd suggest that if you seek to gain converts do so by demonstrating the virtues not trying to prove your superiority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Frankly I don't care about the ratings, but the fervent nature by which people are defending Space Hulk as the best game ever and how dare you say that its not is disconcerting.

Hm, I'm not seeing as much of that as I'm seeing a bunch of passive-aggressive polls and lame threads that are "simply inquiring" whether SH is truly deserving, blah, blah, blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
Frankly I don't care about the ratings, but the fervent nature by which people are defending Space Hulk as the best game ever and how dare you say that its not is disconcerting. That's not the tone, nor maturity that I have grow to appreciate from the BGG community.

Payback is a bitch eh?

Quote:
Perhaps if its demonstrated that ALL the rules could be taught in under 30 minutes and the game is free of constant reference to rules, discussions of the applications of rules, versions of rules, reference to multiple different sources of rules, etc then I would play it.

The game takes an 8 day course to learn (basic game only) and you need an excell spreadsheet to calculate the damage. Please, don't waste your valuable time looking at this 'game' for one minute longer!

Quote:
I like the concept of a simple, elegant miniature game that plays in under an hour. Its the same appeal that Euro games have over war games - which I don't have time for anymore.

Shit, pull your shares out of GMT immediatly everyone!

Quote:
People have to realize that this genre of games comes with a lot of baggage and preconceived notions. Maybe this game breaks those, but I'd suggest that if you seek to gain converts do so by demonstrating the virtues not trying to prove your superiority.

All jokes aside, fuck 'converts'. Why on earth would I want to play games with the killjoy snoots?

This is what the top 10 listhumpers don't seem to get - just because a game hit the top 10 does not mean you suddenly need to play it. In fact, we don't want you to play it. Just after GW started up the presses, I went down to the UK with the boys and blew them up to make sure it was Limited Edition.
"Why are you doing this My Lord?" The Games Workshop CEO cried.
"Because I don't want those bandwagon assholes on BGG getting their hands on a copy." I stated.
And so it was that Space Hulk 3rd edition made it into the hands of the faithful who raised their minature goblets and drank to my mercy. The Euronerds gnashed their wooden teeth and cursed me, for no online discounts were offered to please their tight asses, and no copies were left for them when they realised it was a must have game.
And so their shelves would forever have a hole, never to match the BGG ratings exactly again.
And they mourned as they realised that the German's had once again been defeated by the west.
But most of all they wept as they realised that the Age of Boring was at an end.

BRAVO!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner wrote:

As much as I love Space Hulk, every time attempts at promotion like this appear on the boards, more people creep over to rate the game a '1' out of spite or some sense of purpose that leads them to try and 'fight the hype'. The end effect of these miscreant outliers is the reduction of Space Hulk's overall score. A pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Space Hulk (third edition) does not overtake Agricola in the rankings, I'm sending this guy 'round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.