Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff's thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/445456

coincided with my own fascination at the meteoric rise of this game in the ranking table.

Therefore, I propose a contest: forecast the fate of Space Hulk 3! It's strictly for bragging rights, since I have no Geek Gold to offer.

Here are the rules:

* Post to this thread the following information by September 30, 2009 (one week from today)

* Put in your post the following: Predicted rank of Space Hulk third edition on November 23, 2009 (two months from today). Predicted rank on March 23, 2009 (six months from today). Please keep anything else in the post to a minimum, so it will be easy to see your prediction.

* Be definite; no ranges or fudge factors. Just put the rank number you predict next to the date (see my example below for the simplicity I am asking for).

* If your prediction post is edited after September 30, 2009, it will be considered invalid.

* On November 23, 2009, at 6 PM, I will check the rank of Space Hulk, and shower accolades on those that were right!

* On March 23, 20092010, I will resurrect this post and do so again, and heap praise on those oracles who called it!

Yes, I know it is silly. laugh

EDIT: Thanks to William and Mike for pointing out that I don't actually have a time machine, and meant to say March 23, 2010, not 2009. Error corrected. I'm moving my own prediction to a separate post so I can follow my own rules about not editing the prediction after Sept 30.
-------------------------------------------------
My own predictions:

November 23, 2009: #3
March 23, 2010: #3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the March date should be in 2010.

4 and 42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs v S
Netherlands
Enschede
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
November 23, 2009: #9
March 23, 2009: #11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
November 23, 2009: #1
March 23, 2010: #1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
Get Your Finger Out of My Face!! =D
mbmbmbmbmb
November 23, 2009: #7
March 23, 2010: #13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
November: #5
March: #9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
How exactly do I rank the game? I'm fairly new to the site and can't see a "rate this game" option anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the SH 3rd ed. page and scroll to the bottom. You can add it to your collection and rate it there.

My prediction is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Lis
Lithuania
Vilnius - city
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like Dark Knight on IMDB.com, some time it was 1st place, then all God Father movie funs rank it for 1 point, so now it is in the middle of top 10...

my prediction - #6 in march

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun thread.

11/23/09: #6 (but I think it will hit number three before then)
3/23/10: #15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks William. Yes, I meant March 23, 2010. I'll assume anyone who also made my mistake in their post was simply led into error by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own predictions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb

all the way baby!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
November: #6
March: #12

I think SH will rise above 6 before November but all the Euro shills will start running in mass to downrate this game a 1. They've already doubled their 1 shill ratings since yesterday. Ultimately this will start pushing back the legitimate ratings from actual owners and players and leave it at 12 or lower by next year. Also I believe some of the legitimate 10 and 9's will be adjusted downward as initial excitement for the game wanes for some.

I don't understand the pathology behind the euro shills. It's as if some are placing their personal worth on the line based on ratings of games they like. shake Do they think they are delivering some form of balance to the universe? Do they fear losing control of the website? It would probably make an interesting research thesis if anyone is majoring in psychology.

Edited for piss poor grammar and spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Burdick
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
November: #3

It will overtake #6 easily. 3, 4, & 5 are all very close in ranking, so if it overtakes one, it should overtake them all. There should be sufficient time for this.

March: #1

I honestly don't believe that certain members of this community will "allow" this to happen, so I really think it stays at #3 (considering what #1 & #2 are), but there are several #3 & #3 predictions already, so I'm going to go with #3 & #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I'm behind on saying this, But the predictions are closed. You will next see a post here in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite 6 PM, but the chance of the rank of Space Hulk changing in the next 5 hours seems vanishingly small to me, so...

Here are the results for the first prediction!

Predictions (by BGG name and real name):

skalchemist, Hans Messersmith, 3
wilco, William Collins, 4
pistoolkip, Matthijis van Staalduine, 9
Chatbus, Bastien Lefevre, 1
Tistu, Luis Magalhaes, 7
mmacmartin, Mike MacMartin, 5
maka, Jorge Arroyo, 1
JohnRayJr, Jack, 6
johncraven, Kaiwen Zhang, 1
Great_Mazinga, Myles, 6
VGoodwin, Martin Burdick, 4
JVKhoury, Jeff Khoury, 3

And the actual rank is...*drum roll*...

There is no outright winner, as no one selected this rank. But Luis Magalhaes and Matthijis van Staalduine bracked the actual rank with 7 and 9 predictions, so I'm going to call them a tie for first place. Congratulations! Don't you with there was some kind of prize?

It's pretty clear that most of us overestimated by a bit how far Space Hulk would go. Has anybody been following the ranking over time? Did it get higher than 8 at any point?

I'm not sure if Great_Mazinga/Myle's concern about
Quote:
the Euro shills will start running in mass to downrate this game a 1
is born out by reality. There are 38 "1" ratings; does 38 count as a mass? However, at least four people have clearly stated in their comments next to the rating that they did it explicitly to reduce it's ranking. The motivation behind that action mystifies me, I admit.

One other possibly interesting fact: on page 1 of the Ratings page there are 25 "10" ratings, of which...
20 are from North America
5 are from Europe

On page 70 (the last complete page) of the Ratings, there are 25 "1" Ratings, of which...
6 are from North America
10 are from Europe
5 are from Asia
1 is from South America
4 don't list a country

The difference in distribution certainly suggests SOMETHING is going on, but what is not so clear. Perhaps Space Hulk is a game where the translated rules are really hard to follow, and thus non-English native speakers just don't like it much? Perhaps North American's really are very different from the rest of the world in their taste in games?

Anyway, now we wait until March 23!

skalchemist wrote:
Jeff's thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/445456

coincided with my own fascination at the meteoric rise of this game in the ranking table.

Therefore, I propose a contest: forecast the fate of Space Hulk 3! It's strictly for bragging rights, since I have no Geek Gold to offer.

Here are the rules:

* Post to this thread the following information by September 30, 2009 (one week from today)

* Put in your post the following: Predicted rank of Space Hulk third edition on November 23, 2009 (two months from today). Predicted rank on March 23, 2009 (six months from today). Please keep anything else in the post to a minimum, so it will be easy to see your prediction.

* Be definite; no ranges or fudge factors. Just put the rank number you predict next to the date (see my example below for the simplicity I am asking for).

* If your prediction post is edited after September 30, 2009, it will be considered invalid.

* On November 23, 2009, at 6 PM, I will check the rank of Space Hulk, and shower accolades on those that were right!

* On March 23, 20092010, I will resurrect this post and do so again, and heap praise on those oracles who called it!

Yes, I know it is silly. laugh

EDIT: Thanks to William and Mike for pointing out that I don't actually have a time machine, and meant to say March 23, 2010, not 2009. Error corrected. I'm moving my own prediction to a separate post so I can follow my own rules about not editing the prediction after Sept 30.
-------------------------------------------------
My own predictions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.