Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Phillips
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre Castle is a new game designed by Fred and W. David MacKenzie of Clever Mojo Games. The game is designed for 4 players and takes about 45 minutes to play.

Components:
The game has a nice "box" which is a plastic cylinder similar to a bank's drive thru system. I like the idea and it gives the game a unique feature.
Inside you will find a cloth board with a print of the castle layout. You also have glass treasure gems, cardboard knights/ogre pieces, a deck of cards, and a rules booklet (very simple to read and understand).
The cloth board is great along with the treasure but the cardboard playing pieces could easily be replaced with miniatures if desired. That being said, this game is very kid-friendly and they don't seem to mind the cardboard. Overall I like the production of the game.

Game Play:
The game is played fast and is a riot with the right group. The knights are trying to get all of their gems out of the castle and the ogre is trying to get the gems from the knights. In order for the ogre to get gems, he must battle the knights and win (dice rolling). The game is greatly enhanced with the cards which come out fast and furious when a battle is about to take place. In order to get cards, the knight/ogre must land on an empty space on the board.
My one complaint is that we didn't seem to get enough cards, especially toward the end when the knights needed to battle the ogre to reclaim some treasure and the ogre needed to battle the knights to get more treasure. This turned into a constant battle with everyone concentrated in one area. Maybe we just used them too quickly but that is what was so fun about this game.
I will say, this game has a penalize the leader effect because knights can use their cards against other knights to keep them from winning and that makes it even more fun to play the ogre. My family had a blast playing this, all but my 9 year old that is. My wife didn't want to lose so as the 9-year old was about to walk out of the castle and claim victory, she used a card to move the ogre next to the exit and do battle with the knight. Without any cards, the ogre won easily and thats when the tears started. Oh well, that just makes them tougher and want to play again. I'm just glad it wasn't me that started the tears this time.
Overall this is a great game for the family and a great filler for adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review, Brian. Oh my...tears? cry I never wanted my game to cause tears. blush I hope your child gives it another try and has a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Phillips
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries David, there are tears for many games because they are so competitive but they always start to learn the strategy and then there are many laughs, usually at my expense as they gang up on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Park
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it wasn't Jim or Sam who ended up crying this time... I thought for sure Twilight Imperium was going to be a 2 kleenex box session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.