Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
After visiting Salem, MA, my wife asked me if there were any games that were about the witch trials. So, I did a quick search and found this one, which you would think would cover the topic, based on the game name. We were disappointed when we read the game description to find out it has very little (if anything) to do with the history of Salem.

Here I am trying to bring my wife over to the boardgaming world, and this would have been a great opportunity. I'll have to keep trying...

Oh well, just wanted to vent a little, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Witch Trial, Patrick. It's about a generic series of witch trials and kind of lampoons the process, but the subject matter is there. It's also one of the better Cheapass games, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check it out, Larry. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Do you actually WANT a game about the Salem Witch Trials?

Witch Trial does manage to keep the idea reasonably light. As opposed to a game about torturing and persecuting innocents.

And having to write chrome rules about how many stones you can pile on top of a door before someone beneath is pressed to death?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:

Witch Trial does manage to keep the idea reasonably light. As opposed to a game about torturing and persecuting innocents.

And having to write chrome rules about how many stones you can pile on top of a door before someone beneath is pressed to death?

Well, in a way, you're right.

Though this arises the question why Wargames are so popular? It's no difference acting out a (real, if bygone) brutal war with minute details...

And - to a certain degree - also fantasy/sci-fi games where there is battles against ferocious monsters/villains/aliens/etc. Even if not playing in our real world, they nonetheless deal with chopping up, killing, maiming, whatever other BEINGS, some more, some less. And yes, even while most do not depict this process too detailed, it still is kind of barbarian. Perhaps we just don't get revolted because the fantasy touch makes them seem so "unreal" that we simply accept it as being a duty (or normal) for the characters we are playing during these games?

Just a thought.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:

It's a Eurogame. What Eurogame do you know that would have such a macabre theme? It could be as simple as trying to avoid the religious "authorities", turning in your friends (fellow players) to get yourself off the hook, "spectral evidence" event cards, etc.

Just because the town is infamous for those gory reasons, doesn't mean the game has to go into details like that. Besides, Salem itself manages to get a large amount of tourists there by focusing on that theme, even without grossing the tourists out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Balvin
United States
Los Angeles
CA - California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've spent the last 6 years researching and developing a game based on the witch trials (was shocked one didn't exist!). it's up on kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/632512774/salem-an-innov...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.