Subject: The (revised) Gut-Buster, Session 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garth Bowden
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Once again our party assembled (it has been a while, folks!) to brave the evils of the land of Terrinoth.

Previous Session: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/438893

Review: The Heroes
Name, skills ; equipment (at start of this session):

Lord Hawthorne, with mighty; Bone Blade, Iron Shield and Chain Mail.
Rune Witch Astarra, with prodigy; Staff of punishment, Wizard's robe, Ring of Protection. Carrying: Cone of Fire.
Silhouette, with born to the bow, master archer; Dwarven Fire Bombs, Crystal Shield, Elven Robe, archer's charm.
Brother Glyr, with unmovable, tough; some cursed sword, morning star, plate mail.

Conquest totals: about 39

Review: The Overlord

sauron Obsidian Shackles Plot, Sorcerer King Avatar - Upgrades: second lieutenant, Sniper Skeletons, Silver Eldritch, lots of treachery.

Conquest totals: about 80

The Session

At the beginning of this session, we decided to journey up to try the Caverns of Thuul. With any luck we would be able to beat this one and come back to get our secret training in the south, purchase cleaving or quick shot, and get everyone a fatigue upgrade before blazing into silver. In that pursuit, we would be forced to allow the Overlord to run his Lieutenants about the map, pillaging and whatnot.

The Overlord bought another Lieutenant with his first action, a certain "Kreig".

Now, we proceeded through Greyhaven, debating briefly on whether to purchase "Water Pact" for Astarra so that her staff attacks would have knockback. We shopped the market, and picked up a nice load of potions, and proceeded toward our destination.

In Nerekhal, the choice was a bit tougher. Vampiric blood is a nice skill, but we passed this up as well, wanting to save our xp and money for our future secret training.

Along the way we have a few easy encounters that we breeze through. Then we get to the dungeon itself, and have some difficult scenarios in store for us.

The first dungeon we draw is the "Gauntlet". It features what is really one large room divided by a wall in the middle that has two rune locked doors on it. The boss was a buff Beastman who reduced the cost of traps by 3. In addition, the overlord started the dungeon with extra cards in his hand. The Overlord spawned kobolds on us, using them to block the way down the hall at the back of the dungeon. Then, he used a crushing blow to destroy Hawthorne's bone blade. This was rightly devastating, but after having his weapon destroyed Hawthorne punched a Hellhound and a beastman to death.

The Beastman boss played hard to get by ducking through the runelocked doors in the middle of the level, requiring us to go around to get to him. Astarra was the first to run back and try to kill him, but missed twice in a row significantly delaying our game and getting herself killed.

Next, we draw a dungeon with two runes, two chests, and two coin piles, but no boss. There are several sorcerers in the back room of the map, summoning a Demon. We blitz up, but not before the OL spawns a ton of mobs and blocks the door to the summoning room with a wall of skeletons and beastmen.

Silhouette and Astarra team up to rush into the back room. Silhouette clears a small path and opens the door, then Astarra plays "carried on the wind", a feat that lets her fly and gives her +2 speed. After declaring a run action, she activates a glyph, allowing Hawthorne to come in, and runs into the back room, stepping on the summoning circle to deactivate it.

Hawthorne strides into the midst of the monsters and plays "sweeping blow" giving his reaching attack a sweep. Unfortunately, he is only using a regular sword now, so he only rolls 9 damage, enough to kill about half the monsters and injure the other half.

Eventually, we loot both chests, kill some master monsters, and pick up some gold piles.

We peeked into the next level of the dungeon, finding a giant who throws big rocks. Silhouette runs out and grabs some coins, activates a glyph, and is then squashed by a flying boulder. We decide it is time to go train and we head out.

Thus begins the long trek south to Olmric's hut. We feared that if we were unlucky and drew the wrong encounters we would pop into silver mode before we got to the secret training, and would neither be able to afford the training nor have the training hut still in existence.

But as luck would have it, we reached the training just in the nick of time: we were at 199 conquest total when we got there.

Everyone bought their fatigue, and we decided on cleaving for Hawthorne.

Misc loot gains:
Gauntlets of Power (Silhouette)
Mana weave (Astarra)

Conqest totals:

Heroes: 72
Overlord: 127

Underview

We realized two things this session:
1. We should have bought the staff of the wild a long time ago
2. Legendary dungeons are probably not worth it, and if they are, you should do them around the end of each campaign level, but we were too late this time because we needed to go get our secret training.

The overlord is now poised to collect 5 conquest each week from his razed cities. This will be a significant boost to his conquest and may make it difficult for us to compete with him. But I think we can do it. And I think we can win this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon_Slave wrote:

Underview

We realized two things this session:
1. We should have bought the staff of the wild a long time ago
2. Legendary dungeons are probably not worth it, and if they are, you should do them around the end of each campaign level, but we were too late this time because we needed to go get our secret training.

The overlord is now poised to collect 5 conquest each week from his razed cities. This will be a significant boost to his conquest and may make it difficult for us to compete with him. But I think we can do it. And I think we can win this.

The Silver legendary dungeon is absolutely worth it. It allows you to get those widely separated skills that you could never get to and train or were lost when cities were razed. You know, the really critical ones like Wind Pact, Acrobat*, Leadership, Taunt*, Boggs*, Rapid Fire/Cleaving/Quick Casting/Spiritwalker etc, or the really handy combos (like Unmoveable/Knight, Acrobat/Swift/Tiger Tattoo) that you are missing part of. Or to get secret trainings you missed out on. Or just upgrade 2 silver dice to gold.
But it is best entered as late in silver as possible, probably passing 400 CT midway through the dungeon. And then coming out with enough cash and XP spare to go straight to a new training as well - effectively a double training for the heroes.
Almost every time I have seen this it is the tipping point in the campaign. After that double training and with the advent of gold weapons the heroes really start to cruise mostly.

*critical depending on party composition and/or OL avatar choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:

The Silver legendary dungeon is absolutely worth it. It allows you to get those widely separated skills that you could never get to and train or were lost when cities were razed. You know, the really critical ones like Wind Pact, Acrobat*, Leadership, Taunt*, Boggs*, Rapid Fire/Cleaving/Quick Casting/Spiritwalker etc, or the really handy combos (like Unmoveable/Knight, Acrobat/Swift/Tiger Tattoo) that you are missing part of. Or to get secret trainings you missed out on. Or just upgrade 2 silver dice to gold.
But it is best entered as late in silver as possible, probably passing 400 CT midway through the dungeon. And then coming out with enough cash and XP spare to go straight to a new training as well - effectively a double training for the heroes.
Almost every time I have seen this it is the tipping point in the campaign. After that double training and with the advent of gold weapons the heroes really start to cruise mostly.

*critical depending on party composition and/or OL avatar choice.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're foiling my Evil Plots!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're foiling my Evil Plots!!!

Lolz laugh

Interesting insight on Fools Rapids. True enough, when my heroes got their double training reward after completing this dungeon I saw a significant improvement on their abilities. Compared to the 3rd and 1st legendary, I think this one is more important. Now I must ensure the next group of heroes I fight dont realize this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.