Twilight Struggle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Saudi Arabia & Italy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to tinker too much with an already very successful design that works well enough, but having played TS many times and studying the Cold War in Europe and the Middle East, I am surprised in the beginning set-up that Saudi Arabia is free of any US influence.

As is known (I use Daniel Yergin's book 'The Prize' as my source to give a good account, although it can be found easily enough elsewhere), in 1945 FDR and King Ibn Saud met in Egypt and after a successful meeting signed an agreement whereby the US would guarantee the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's security in exchange for US access to its oil. Saudi Arabia quickly became a staunch US ally as the kingdom faced various threats to its stability throughout the Cold War.

It seems the US player should start out with at least 1 influence in SA, if not control of it.

In return, the Communist player could have 1 influence marker in Italy and / or France, to reflect the then influential Communist Party in those countries.

What do you think of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Still waiting for pre-oder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a variant that would help the Soviets... gives the Soviets a much better chance to dominate Europe, while giving the US influence somewhere that is fairly easy to remove with Muslim Revolutions come the mid-war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
USSR doesn't need the extra influence.

Giving control might be to much but 1 point of US influence could be very useful to US player and not unbalance the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I LOVE the Prize. Its a fantastic book. However, I think it would be easy to overstate the closeness of US-Saudi relations when viewed through the prism of oil. Saudi Arabia was one of the leaders in nationalization of the Arab petroleum industry and was also the prime power player behind the oil embargos. Its hard to see either of those as the acts of a US ally,

From my point of view, Saudi Arabia did not really become a US ally until the fall of the Shah, when the potential export of Shiite Muslim Revolution and the abscence of a US anchor drove the two countries close together.

We will have a card mirroring that reality in the deluxe edition.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well, it's just an idea. And there are certainly cards for the placement of Soviet influence in Italy & France (and the rest of Western Europe).

But I could never see Saudi Arabia going communist or allowing Soviet control / military forces there. You're right about the fall of the Shah influencing Saudi relations with the US, as well as the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The latter also created closer ties between US & Pakistan.

Anyways, great game, will continue to enjoy this and your other fine games ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.