tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an unorganized mess.

The "Barack Hussein Obama" cadence is creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just put this video in the reply to anyone here who says Christians brainwash their children.

Their parents ought to be jailed for letting the school run this sort of mind control shit on innocent children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you were that young, who was the President? Did your teachers suggest that you should be proud of your President?

You guys are ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
When you were that young, who was the President? Did your teachers suggest that you should be proud of your President?

You guys are ridiculous.

We never talked about the President when I was that age -- maybe we should have though, then I wouldn't think Reagan was the most overrated President of my lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

You guys are ridiculous.

We never talked about the President when I was that age -- maybe we should have though, then I wouldn't think Reagan was the most overrated President of my lifetime.

I'll bet your class did talk about the President. You just don't remember it.

Who is Reagan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it. I have nothing against schools learning about their President, being taught to respect him/her/the office, etc., but I have two issues with this. First, it's way too fan-boyish. Second, I doubt very much that it's non-partisan. Specifically, I doubt the same teachers teach a similar song for Republican presidents, just as we've seen "non-partisan, non-political" groups that gushed over Bush be critical or silent with Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

I wouldn't think Reagan was the most overrated President of my lifetime.

Wow, you must have lived in an entirely different dimension than I did. Reagan was going to save us from the evil Soviet Empire.

And yes, Reagan was the most overrated president ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Probably Reagan, and no.

In fact, I can't remember a single discussion of a sitting president in any context in any classroom I was ever in. Can't speak for everywhere, but politics was taboo in school here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
Mine were fairly silent about LBJ, yet still had a picture of JFK on the wall, next to the picture of the Pope! (heavily Irish, Catholic school)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well gee, other countries have long-standing practices of school children singing praises to their president/leader.

Let's see..........Cuba, for instance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When I was in grade school Eisenhower was President and no, there was never any classroom discussion about how wonderful he was or songs of praise to him in assembly.

When I was in Junior High Kennedy was president and no, there was never any discussion directly about him or songs, chants or brainwashing in assembly or the class. Not even after he was shot.

LBJ doesn't count. He was President all the way up to my leaving the country on an extended tour of miserable places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Nixon.

Yes.

(see why I'm so screwed up now?)

We didn't discuss policy, but we did talk about national pride, and the whole follow the leader bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see them pull this shit with Gordon Brown over here! British kids smoke and drink to much to be able to sing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in 5th grade we had a mock election that included a month of campaigning. I played the part of Jimmy Carter... two other students were Reagan and Anderson. We had to learn about our candidates positions and personal history... all the other students had to do the same for when we had a "debate" students were to ask us questions about policy and issues as we stood behind podiums... when the students failed to ask questions the teachers asked us some. On the actual election day that November students grades 1-5 voted in this mock election. Reagan won the real election. Carter (played by me) won our mock election... probably because I was better looking than the other two kids... One funny thing was when I handed out peanuts at recess (Jimmy, being the peanut farmer) I was COPIED by the other students who in turn gave out CANDY. I was pissed and thought that candy would beat peanuts... but alas the forces of evil were defeated. Too bad it was not he case in the real election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Too bad it was not he case in the real election.

True because 4 more years of Jimmy Carter is exactly what our country needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I find it interesting that the words from a children's song about Jesus have been co-opted, but with Obama standing in for Jesus.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed when I saw those lyrics too. That's pretty bad.

For those not familiar with it, here are the lyrics to the children's song Drew is referring to:

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
ChonChuuk wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
Too bad it was not he case in the real election.

True because 4 more years of Jimmy Carter is exactly what our country needed.

You are correct... he's the best president we've had since FDR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys sure this is legit ?
'cause if I were a right-wing nut with access to some kids this is just the sort of video I would be making.

On the other hand, if it *is* legit - then it is scary as hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
Are you guys sure this is legit ?
'cause if I were a right-wing nut with access to some kids this is just the sort of video I would be making.

On the other hand, if it *is* legit - then it is scary as hell

Well they do sing Barack "Hussein" Obama. No liberal in their right mind would do that. I smell conservative trickery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on reading the words of the song, that's freaking spooky. I really hope that it's a spoof, and, if not, I hope whoever put that together is made to see the light and suffers some consequences pronto.

The closest I ever had to a political experience in education was with my high school history teacher. It was an A.P. American history class, and the teacher had been a soldier in WWII. He was willing to talk about his experiences and the impact that had on his worldview, and he made it quite plain that he was politically conservative.

He also made it clear that he valued critical thinking and solid research above all and was warmly approving of me personally and of my work, including my (quite left-wing) class project on nuclear disarmament.

He was one of the best teachers I ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that is seriously nuts :/
Personality cults, particularly racially based personality cults are freaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:

Yeah. Black people are inherently terrifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember anything close to this in grade school, but it has some semblance to clips I've seen of the Hitler youth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.