Subject: SWM seeking Ostfront game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to take suggestions for a good Ostfront wargame. The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:

1) In print
2) Reasonable rules (no obvious cheesy exploits, etc.)
3) Solitaire potential
4) Units represent individual divisions (best) or corps (OK)
5) Be earlier rather than later... Barbarossa preferred

I know people like to talk up their favorite games... thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to jump in to promote Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944. I have a blast with this game - playing by myself, and there are scenarios from Barbarossa through Uranus and the "turning of the tide." I really do love this game, and you can find it for a decent price with a little searching (I honestly can't remember which e-tailer I bought it from). So far, I have not found any exploits which would "break" the game. It's a great take on the Ostfront war; be warned, though, the map is pretty big (I use a 34" by 68" table and have extra space, but not a lot).
Good luck!cool

EDIT: I forgot - I posted a review of the game a while ago. You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/430027/new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the upcoming reprint of Proud Monster: The Barbarossa Campaign from Compass games here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
gb1469 wrote:

Greg, while I would agree with you about the game and the whole series I think this is a bit to big a bite for the original poster.

So I would also suggest you (Aaron) either go with Red Star Rising or the upcoming Proud Monster (easier then RSR).

It is very tempting devil directing him to OCS (which IMHO is on par with EFS) but looking at the games in his collection I would fix him on these games later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
paradoxes wrote:
Let me be the first to jump in to promote Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944. I have a blast with this game - playing by myself, and there are scenarios from Barbarossa through Uranus and the "turning of the tide." I really do love this game, and you can find it for a decent price with a little searching (I honestly can't remember which e-tailer I bought it from). So far, I have not found any exploits which would "break" the game. It's a great take on the Ostfront war; be warned, though, the map is pretty big (I use a 34" by 68" table and have extra space, but not a lot).
Good luck!cool

EDIT: I forgot - I posted a review of the game a while ago. You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/430027/new

On the shelf, waiting to be played.

Then so is Russian Front and Fire in the East, niether of which entirely fits the SWM asking in the OP.

Another good one that does fit the OPs request is War Without Mercy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. Both RSR and Proud Monster look really good. I'd probably lean slightly toward PM:D except for the price (!), so as it is I'd be more inclined to RSR (though the issue of price was outside of the scope of my original request).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.