Popular Tags: [View All]
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I'm curious: Do you think that Experience and Gold are roughly equal in value? Or do you think that Experience is more desirable?

I began thinking about this when drawing up my starting kits to speed up game play and make characters more distinct from each other: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46726

There I assumed that they were roughly equivalent when it came to balancing starting skills and items. As long as the total "cost" (whether in experience or gold) was in the realm of 9 or 10, I was happy. So, for example, I assumed that a kit consisting of a cheap ability and an expensive item (such as the Druid, who begins with Sacrifice of Blood(2) & Cedar Staff(7)) was pretty comparable to a kit consisting of an expensive ability and a cheap item (such as the Paladin, who begins with Prayer(7), Rapier(1), and Large Wooden Shield(2)).

After several plays, my feeling is that the starting kits are pretty well balanced, leading me to think that Experience and Gold are indeed of roughly equal desirability. But I'd be interested to know what others think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Gold and XP are roughly equal in value. There are a few cards in the game that let you trade them at 1:1 (or near enough). On a related note, I also think that one Strength is equivalent to two Magic (obviously), and that one Strength or two Magic are roughly equivalent to 10 Gold or 10 XP.

BTW, I really like your starting kits, they help speed the game right along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris & Nova Henson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I think in terms of starting kits they are equal, but during actual gameplay gold is a lot more flexible, therefore has a slight edge. But again, in terms of items vs. abilities, I say equal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Gold is risky, it can be lost in a blink of an eye.

I consider experience as my primary aim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
BTW, I really like your starting kits, they help speed the game right along.

Oh thanks a lot. I'm glad! modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StellarNova wrote:
during actual gameplay gold is a lot more flexible

True true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Gold is risky, it can be lost in a blink of an eye.

Also true! laugh

Thanks for the feedback gents. It's good to get external confirmation of what was only a gut feeling.

The relative parity between gold and experience is one more thing I love about this game. It's just so tightly balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fink
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been tinkering with excluding the event that makes you dump off your excess gold. It seems to put exp and gold back in balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience:
Cubes (stats) > Items > Exp > Gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.