Hide
5 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trading Gold in Traders & Barbarians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Douglas
msg tools
In T&B, the rules for the scenarios "The Rivers of Catan", "Barbarian Attack" and "Traders & Barbarians" all say:

Quote:
...You may also gold coins as if they were resources-you can trade with other players and with the bank at 4:1 (3:1 or 2:1 with harbors).

What exactly does this mean? The rules also say you can buy up to 2 resources per turn @ 2 gold each. As I read the rules, I can trade gold at 4:1 to the bank for any number of resources, or @ 3:1 if I have a "?" harbor. I don't know how I can trade gold @ 2:1 since there is no gold harbor.

Is the 2:1 comment in the rules simply an oversight, or is it assumed that someone might make their own 2:1 gold harbor, so the comment is included for completeness?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand the rules:

A) You can trade 4 of one resource for 1 gold.
B) Or 3 Resources for 1 gold, or 2 resources for 1 gold with the appropriate harbor.
C) You can trade 2 gold for 1 resource up to twice per turn, whither you have a harbor or not-- that is what the gold is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Although, as gold is only worth half a resource, trading resources to get gold would be a desperate move - perhaps to secure Wealthiest Settler, or to get enough gold to pay for your wagon passage on an opponents road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Douglas
msg tools
Thanks! This makes the rules make more sense. Trade resources for gold at 4:1, 3:1, or 2:1, NOT gold for resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought the trading gold to other players would never happen because of the favorable trade terms to the bank for it. However, during one game of Barbarian Attack, a player was losing knights left and right, and almost never capturing barbarians which meant he was racking up the gold. It turned out that the no more than two 2:1 gold:resource trades per turn were actually causing him to use his gold as sweeteners in other trade deals, sometimes he was even giving other players 2 or 3 gold for a single resource because he couldn't use it fast enough.

He did eventually win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.