Sander Vernyns
Belgium
Spalbeek-Hasselt
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
I would like to put the artwork of the box for our new game on BGG.
As the game is currently in printing it's not possible to take pictures.

So I was thinking about uploading the photoshop image to the database.

Does anybody know the best parameters for doing this?
Pixels, size of the image, RGB or CMYK, ... ?

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just convert it to a regular jpg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bert_nerdsen wrote:
Sander,

just save the image as .jpg with the best quality. Don't care about cmyk or rgb; as far as I know the color mode is relevant for the printers only.

Regards
-Nils

You might want to be careful with that. Some people couldn't see a microbadge that I had designed on the rpg.geekdo.
Apparently it was due to the color mode...

l10n0fjudah wrote:
If you use firefox or safari you can see it, if you use chrome or IE then you can't see it. It's because the image was saved in the CMYK color space instead of RBG; some browsers won't render CMYK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
CMYK is for printing and RGB is for display (and color temperature is for "black body" light radiation). The only exception I can think of is the few, rare displays that reflect light, instead of radiating it using RGB phosphors, RGB LEDs. etc.

Size? Anything above around HDTV width (1920 pixels) is probably overkill. If there's some detail you're just dying to show off, you could go larger, but try to keep it under a terabyte.gulp Well, seriously, if you need more than around 10 MB to show the detail, submit a second shot of the cropped detail.

JPG will definitely work. If you feel strongly about having the image losslessly compressed, you could try PNG. I'm unsure if it'll work, but the worst thing that happens is the image gets rejected and some moderators make a little extra GG.

Be sure to note in the caption when you submit the picture whether it's a proof of the actual box or whether it's a proposal for the box image. Either way, I would submit it as a creative image, not game. You're sure to get it approved under creative, and, the CMYK conversion and the lesser dynamic range of printing will make the actual box look different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick C
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make one within a 1024x768, or 1200x900 or some 4:3 aspect ratio in between.
Make it jpeg, 72dpi, and in photoshop, quality at 8-10(high or highest)

You don't need such a high rez one atcually. No one's printing, and at 1024x738, one one's squinting either. Within 800x600 would have been what I would go for, as if you compare to other box images in the site, besides being photographs, your art direct from photoshop will be clearer than others.

Didnt you get samples of the box before proceeding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Image saved in the CMYK color space do not display properly in all browsers. You definitely need to save as RBG before uploading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Vernyns
Belgium
Spalbeek-Hasselt
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
mentis wrote:
Image saved in the CMYK color space do not display properly in all browsers. You definitely need to save as RBG before uploading.

This is indeed very important ...

Accidently I forgot to save it in RGB before uploading and as I imediately afterwards noticed my mistake I saved the file again in RGB and uploaded this picture right afterwards.

Unfortunately the moderators tolerated the first (CMYK) version but rejected the correct RGB version because of duplicate or similarity reasons.

Ironically I can not see the picture in my browser soblue

Is there a way to delete a image you uploaded? so that I can again upload the correct image without fear of it being rejected ...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post it as a correction to the game. This will be seen by an admin who will understand the difference. Just write a small note to explain the problem. The corrections link is on the upper right of the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbal wrote:
Stupidly the moderators tolerated the first (CMYK) version but rejected the correct RGB version because of duplicate or similarity reasons.

A game correction is indeed the way to get it deleted, after which your RGB image should pass moderation.

It's not that the moderators are stupid but the approving moderators may have had browsers that did a better job of rendering the picture than yours did. I see an ok image in Firefox. Also, recall that since this is a new, prototype box, the moderators have zero idea what the correct coloring of the box is. Moderators are not psychic!

Also, moderators see things through a very small window. They may have seen the first image without the second (moderation can go very fast). They can't cancel the first image to accept the second, so they reject the second and let Admin handle it.

And it's not wise to insult the moderators since they are your fellow BGG members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Vernyns
Belgium
Spalbeek-Hasselt
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

And it's not wise to insult the moderators since they are your fellow BGG members.

I would like to apologize for the fact that my post could be understand as an insult to the moderators ... it was in fact a bad word choice (which happens a lot if Englisch is not your native language).

I wanted to express that the current situation was stupid (and actually it was me who was stupid to upload the wrong file first) not the moderators and that I wanted to correct the situation.

My apologies for the people that I may have offended ...

BGG people are the best and most helpfull people that exist (I have experienced this a couple of times when we needed help translating text for our games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Verbal wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

BGG people are the best and most helpfull people that exist (I have experienced this a couple of times when we needed help translating text for our games).

Yes, especially the image geekmods. The. Best. People. On. Earth. Really Truly.
kiss
We are not worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It should have Space Hulk somewhere in the image for best results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.