Subject: Bravery in the sand: questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Siepi
Italy
Olgiate Olona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all, yesterday I have played BITS and a couple of doubt are still in my head:
1) regarding reduced strenght, what happens when one player remains with one unit reduced and it is attacked? The roles seems to be that he cannot roll any dice....
2) Replacements: as the Commonwealth player place the replacements in any hex with his control marker (units destroyed coming back), it could happens that a "suicide" attack could be made just to have an unit to be placed in Tobruk (in this case seems to be practically impossible to conquest Tobruk for the axis).
3) Retreat: as there is nothing in the roles that gives the direction of retreat (only the attacker should move back to the entry hexa, if possible), it means that if the Allied attack an axis unit in Sidi Rezegh (hexa 605) and oblige the axis unit to go to El Adem (hexa 604), and at next turn attack again and oblige again the axis unit to retreat, they can retreat to ... Sidi Rezegh again???
Is there anyone that can clarify better these points?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - this is in the rules - if the defender only has a reduced unit remaining, he must retreat. See last sentence of 7.3.3

2 - I am not following you here. Can you rephrase? Control is established immediately so I don't see how the CW could place units in Tobruk to "suicide" the Axis and prevent control. I must not be understanding what you are saying here.

3 - this is correct - you can retreat as you say. You should consider this when you attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Siepi
Italy
Olgiate Olona
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK Adam, sorry for my (poor) English.

First of all thanks for your answer; I will try to explain better my questions.
Point 1: OK, that's clear but what happens is the retreatd unit is attacked again (or if the unit is a garrison that cannot retreat)? In such particulart case (one single unit reduced) there is no roll in defense?
Point 2:
turn 5 (as example) Tobruk is under attack and the situation of CW is bad: the CW player could choose to make a "suicide attack" against axis units in another part of the map, in order to get one unit destroyed and then, at the beginning of turn 6, place the unit in Tobruk as replacement.

I understand that maybe is a very strange option but the rest of the rules seems to "reflect" real options and this is why I am in doubt.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem on the English - I am glad to help...

1 - in the case of a garrison, that combat can only go one round so there is no retreat chance there...but yes, if you only have a reduced unit, you can't fire.

2 - Yes, this is allowed. Not sure it helps you much to do it - but you can do it (and doesn't seem historically strange to me at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Siepi
Italy
Olgiate Olona
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK Adam,

many thanks for the explanations.
In any case you are right regarding Tobruk: also in the worse period of the war every site under attack received some reinforces (Malta teaches), so this could be the link with the reality.

Ciao

Alberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.