Chinatown» Forums » General

Subject: Worth buying if I already have Bohnanza? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting Chinatown now that it's up at Tanga. My only concern is that the trading in this game seems very similar to the trading in Bohnanza, in that it's quite simple (only a few things are traded) and open-ended. I know that all trading/negotiation games are to some extent variations on a theme, but still.... For people who've played both Chinatown and Bohnanza, is it worth having both if I already have (and enjoy) Bohnanza?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
These are TOTALLY different games. The trading aspect of both games is important, but the roles that they play in each game, and the rest of the games themselves, are substantially different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
These are TOTALLY different games. The trading aspect of both games is important, but the roles that they play in each game, and the rest of the games themselves, are substantially different.

The method by which you collect sets, play, and manage them is entirely different. There's also the idea that instead of a singular payoff from the set collection, finished set or not, that your payout is on a sliding scale based on completion and your sets continue to pay even after completion.

The similarity of open negotiation is the only real comparison. That's such a general mechanism that it's not truly measurable in terms like "similar".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both. While both games involve a trading mechanic, they are quite different IMHO. For one thing, in Chinatown, cash -- which is also used as victory points for winning -- is also tradeable, making bargaining that more interesting. Much of the Chinatown trading is influenced by the boardplay. Players can trade combinations or cash, business tiles, and/or onboard businesses as they please.

Both games are excellent; I prefer Chinatown over Bohnanza, because the trade mechanic seems more open. I'm glad I own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, these games are so different, it's really hard to compare the two. I own and enjoy playing both. But I'd choose Chinatown any day over Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hsieh
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking this question, I was debating picking this up from Tanga as well, though not in direct comparison to Bohnanza which I love. After reading on the replies here and reading up on the game, I decided to go for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice. I own them both and love them both very much.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Both games are excellent; I prefer Chinatown over Bohnanza, because the trade mechanic seems more open. I'm glad I own both.
Same here. I own both, and if I didn't own Chinatown I'd grab it in a heartbeat (one of my favorite games.)

I'm puzzled, the op suggested it was posted on Tanga. Usually, games are available for only a short time, you don't have time to post questions and later decide. Also, I haven't seen any games posted on Tanga for a couple months now. What gives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still available on Tanga now: http://tanga.com/deals/current/game

Tanga started a games-only deal a few months ago, with a mix of great and not-so-great deals. Chinatown is being offered as a 48-hour deal, which means I have until 7 pm PST tonight to decide whether to bite....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown made Bohnanza obsolete in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.