Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

After laying down the cold hard cash to buy my Space Hulk game, and then spending 3 nights putting it together, I decided that it would be a good idea to protect the pieces. I have seen the nice foam inserts people are selling online, and I got to thinking about doing it myself. Besides being cheap, I am a bit of a DIY'er. I did a little looking at JoAnn's and Michael's for some foam inserts, but didn't really see anything that would do the trick. I did see some foam at JoAnn's that is meant for furniture building, but I didn't really care for the price and the fact that you have to buy it by the yard.

Do any of the crafty people out there have any suggestions for where to obtain such foam? Also, how would you cut into it to scoop out the area where the figures would go? I imagine that there would be some sort of scallop type knife that will do the trick, but that also means the foam must be dense enough to cut into. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff ven
Belgium
antwerpen
borgerhout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, i was thinking about doing the same thing.
Im from belgium and i geusse you can get some form of foam at your local hardware store, or you could try looking up a place where they renovate or build seats and beds (they will probably sell you some foam for a fair price).
Al for creating the holes into the foam i wouldent juse anny kind of knife sinse this wont make a clear cut and your figurines would get stuck in it.
What i was planning on doing was either get 2 pieces of foam they juse to soundproof walls and just put my figurines in between them, or buy some thiker foam and try to create holes in it with heat/flame, since foam is a synthetic material it is probably possible to let it melt.
Hope you find a decent solution and that my "views helped a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Price of Knowledge is Despair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam is readily available as scrap from stores...try an electronics store.

Put the figures on a plain sheet of foam and trace around them, then cut out the shapes with an Xacto blade. Voila.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually in luck. I'm going to cut up some of the foam that comes inside the packaging of video cards that I've bought.

I was going to say Michaels might have some foam, they usually have everything I need, but it looks like you've already tried there. Could try Staples or Office Depot, maybe they'll have it as a packaging material.

Also found this website which you can use to have them custom cut it to the exact dimensions you need: http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
I'm actually in luck. I'm going to cut up some of the foam that comes inside the packaging of video cards that I've bought.

I was going to say Michaels might have some foam, they usually have everything I need, but it looks like you've already tried there. Could try Staples or Office Depot, maybe they'll have it as a packaging material.

Also found this website which you can use to have them custom cut it to the exact dimensions you need: http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html

Hardware stores have this stuff, at least the ones I live near. Most of the time they have "remnants" that you can pick through and buy on the cheap as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Beeson
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
You know that Battlefoam only charges $25 for the full SH foam set, right? I know there is cheap, but then there is practical. How much is your time worth to you? $25 ain't bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no plans to take this game if the gaming table so no foam inserts required.
Oh i suppose if the worst comes to the worst ill buy another dining room table.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
If you are painting them, then that is another matter altogether. Hope this helps.

Unless you Dip them, in which case you have no fear of scratching the paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the good insight. I especially like the idea of the box in a box with the tissue paper, I might try that. I am not a figure painter, but if I ever decide to try it (don't worry, I will practice on other figures first), then I might pluck down the cash to buy the professional foam.

$25 isn't much, but I do enjoy the DIY aspect of this type of stuff, so the minimal cost saving is not really the reason to do it. However, thanks for all of the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

No Mike, you are sensible.

Edit: sorry wanted to add your OP but failed before my comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Forget the silly foam. Just use a box big enough to securely hold the minis in place but small enough so they don't move around. IE: card box. cigar box etc... You can even use a bit of foam in the bottom of the box to add some give. Print out some artwork to cover it in if you really want to trick it out. Plus it will leave you more room in the box to organize everything else and it doesn't take you a half hour to figure out where all the peices go and how to fit the rest of the tiles in due to the fact the foam takes up too much room. Sure the foam looks good (if you have serious knife skills) but in reality if you spend the 20+ hours to properly paint the figs you'll likely rather display them on a shelf anyway.

They are 100% secure and don't risk damage at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wells
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using two "disposable" Glad containers. One for SM's and one for GS's. I gently take pieces from the containers as needed. Since they are in their own containers, the puzzle pieces can't touch them. And since the pieces sort of interlock, they are pretty static in the containers. My pieces are not painted.

I use the same setup for my Heroscape figures and it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berzerkmonkey wrote:
You know that Battlefoam only charges $25 for the full SH foam set, right? I know there is cheap, but then there is practical. How much is your time worth to you? $25 ain't bad...

For those of us outside the US postage more than doubles the cost, that's just too much for some foam padding. If i lived in mainland USA I would just buy the battlefoam solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Microwable food containers or takeaway disposables do come in handy. Just lines them with tissue paper and lo, you have your minis safetly stored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.