Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Eakins
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets get some ideas for the blank cards going here were other people can help give feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eakins
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is for a companion card for Re-examined Research.
Haven't thought of a name for the card but here is the event

"The current player may draw any one special event card from the Player Discard Pile and add it to their hand."

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this idea (too powerful, underpowered etc) also if anyone can think of what to call the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it "Deja Vous"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jreakins wrote:
My first thought is for a companion card for Re-examined Research.
Haven't thought of a name for the card but here is the event

"The current player may draw any one special event card from the Player Discard Pile and add it to their hand."

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this idea (too powerful, underpowered etc) also if anyone can think of what to call the card.

My first thought is that it would be quite powerful. Some cards like "Commercial Travel Ban" seem very strong, and being able to effectively have two of these in the deck might be a bit much. That being said, there are so many ways to ramp up difficulty that it could likely work if you played a "harder level" than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few ideas that might work:

Better Communication
The current player may give or receive cards of any color this turn, regardless of the city the player is in. The player MUST still be located in the same city as the corresponding player.

Temporary Fix
Discard this card with a city card. For this round ONLY, the color of the disease that coresponds with that city color is temporarily cured. Cubes can be removed appropriately, but if all the cubes are removed, the disease is NOT eradicated. You cannot win the game with a temporary fix, and the next four cards drawn from the infection pile of that color receive 2 cubes.

Overwhelming Data
The next disease you cure can be cured discarding 4 cards of the cooresponding color and 3 other CITY cards of any other color. You cannot discard Special Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Warning: untested)

Emergency Summit
Immediately move all player pawns to a city of your choice.

Quick Thinking
Play before the current player draws cards. Choose any player to immediately take an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Treatment
The current player may spend 2 actions to remove 1 cube of the same color from each connected city and their current city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried this one yet. After taking their actions, instead of drawing two cards from the player card pile, the current player takes the card of their current city back from the player card discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Genius
Draw up to 5 cards from the player deck, stopping immediately when drawing an Epidemic. Look at them and replace them in any order.

Private Jet
For the remainder of the current turn, the current player need not match city name to use Charter and Direct flights, s/he must merely match city color. Example: Play London to catch a direct flight to Toronto, since they're both blue.

Rambling Video Diatribe
(for use only in the bioterrorist challenge)
Reveal the location of the bioterrorist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Executive Order
Another player may take two actions, or move and take one action. Oh wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bailey
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
(These are not play-tested)
Freaky Friday
Swap roles between any two players for one full round. Can be played at any time. Restore original roles at the beginning of the current players next turn.

Pause Countdown
All players stop taking player cards for at least one player's turn up to one full round (Card player's choice.) Continue to take actions and infect (including Bioterrorist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhiRatio wrote:
Freaky Friday
Swap roles between any two players for one full round. Can be played at any time. Restore original roles after exactly one round. Example: If played in between Player A's second and third action, the roles are restored on player A's next turn between his/her second and third action.

This seems overly complicated. Do you keep the same pawns and hands but switch powers? You might want to simplify by having it end at the beginning of the current player's next turn (ala commercial travel ban).

PhiRatio wrote:
Pause Countdown
All players stop taking player cards for at least one player's turn up to one full round (Card player's choice.) Continue to take actions and infect (including Bioterrorist).

I like the idea of being able to put a little more time on the clock, but the ability to stop taking player cards for a full round seems overpowered. In a five-player game, where time is usually much more of an issue than clearing diseases, this is an extra 20-23 actions. Has anyone tried anything like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emergency Override
Must be played at the beginning of a turn, before any actions are taken. Allows another player to take their turn immediately (including drawing player cards and infections). Play then resumes where it left off but the player who took the immediate turn misses their next turn.

Example: There are four players A, B, C, D (in that order). It's the beginning of A's turn and the card is played on behalf of player C. Play would go as follows: C-A-B-D-A-B-C-D-...

Hot Swap
The cardholder's pawn and one other pawn switch places on the board. Note that unlike other special events, the person playing the card must be involved (A can't play the card to swap B and C).

Create Quarantine
One player's current location is chosen as a quarantine city. One cube from every adjacent city is moved to the quarantine city (only cubes of the quarantine city's color are moved). If this action causes more than three cubes of a color to end up in the city, it does not cause an outbreak. However, after the event is completed, if any additional cubes are added to the quarantine city while it contains more than three of that color it will outbreak twice (increasing outbreak counter by two and sending two cubes to each adjacent city).

Example:
There is one blue cube in Chicago and two each in San Francisco, Atlanta, and Toronto, plus one yellow cube in Mexico City. Player A is in Chicago and someone plays this card, making Chicago the quarantine city. The result is four blue cubes in Chicago, one each in SF, Atlanta, and Toronto, and one yellow cube in Mexico City.

Possible variants:
-Player can not leave the quarantine city until it is free of diseases.
-Any color disease cubes are moved to the quarantine city (e.g. the yellow cube from Mexico City).
-All cubes from neighboring cities are moved to the quarantine city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bailey
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
grysqrl wrote:
This seems overly complicated. Do you keep the same pawns and hands but switch powers? You might want to simplify by having it end at the beginning of the current player's next turn (ala commercial travel ban).

You are right. I have a huge tendency to overcomplicate. I edited my original post to reflect better simplicity. The pawns do not switch, by the way, only the roles.

grysqrl wrote:
I like the idea of being able to put a little more time on the clock, but the ability to stop taking player cards for a full round seems overpowered. In a five-player game, where time is usually much more of an issue than clearing diseases, this is an extra 20-23 actions.

Well, I think what balances the power is the fact that you don't get new cards. You have a little extra time, but you are somewhat on hold as well. It'll take me a while to get enough 5-player testing on this, but that does seem to be the place where it might break down. A possible alternative is to have the effect last for a set number of turns rather than a full round. (3 maybe? 1 would be way too under-powered.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
My Special Events Card idea:

Matt Leacock drops by
On your turn for all your actions: Take max 3 City cards from the other players, go to a research station and find the cure.
Play Does require an action (use a black marker to remove the words "at any time not")

Hope to get it also signed by Matt Leacock in Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Disaster Response Plan
Each player other than the current player immediately takes 1 action. These may be done in any order.

Emergency Quarantine
Play immediately after an Epidemic is drawn to reveal 2 cards from the bottom of the Infection deck instead of 1. You choose which location the epidemic occurs at. (Both cards are shuffled into the discard pile during the Intensify step.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Final Option

Increase the outbreak track by one and choose a city. Remove all disease cubes from that city. Remove the corresponding city cards from the infection and player cards. If a player pawn is in the chosen city, that player removes his pawn from the board, discards his role, and chooses a new role. His new pawn starts in Atlanta. Place the nuclear symbol token on the chosen city. Neither players or disease cubes may be placed on the chosen city for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bailey
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Lardarse wrote:
Disaster Response Plan
Each player other than the current player immediately takes 1 action. These may be done in any order.

My hunch is that forcing the order would keep this power in balance better. Perhaps clockwise begining with the player on the active player's left?

degamer wrote:
The Final Option

Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this in a reply to review of OTB, and it should be noted that I haven't played OTB, but look forward to it one day.

Some people complain that the expansion adds too much difficulty without helping increase the player's power to deal with issues.

You could make event cards such as...

"Research Breakthrough":
Any player with at least 3 cards of the same color can receive an instant cure of that color. Play at anytime.

"Transferred Immunity"
:
For first discovered cure, the population gains immunity to the disease. Remove all cubes of that disease from the game board for eradication. Play at anytime.

"Virulent Strain Breakthrough"
:
Remove a continuing effect VS epidemic card from play. Play at anytime.

These could be set aside for legendary level to give you a fighting chance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brenna
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Quote:
The Final Option

Increase the outbreak track by one and choose a city. Remove all disease cubes from that city. Remove the corresponding city cards from the infection and player cards. If a player pawn is in the chosen city, that player removes his pawn from the board, discards his role, and chooses a new role. His new pawn starts in Atlanta. Place the nuclear symbol token on the chosen city. Neither players or disease cubes may be placed on the chosen city for the rest of the game.

We actually had this one, funny that someone else thought of it. We call it "Tactical Nuclear Strike." We just removed all the disease cubes, said no one could be in the city in the first place, and that no players or disease cubes could be placed there the rest of the game. But we also put one disease cube in each adjacent city. What is the nuclear symbol token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bren0110 wrote:
Quote:
The Final Option

We actually had this one, funny that someone else thought of it. We call it "Tactical Nuclear Strike." We just removed all the disease cubes, said no one could be in the city in the first place, and that no players or disease cubes could be placed there the rest of the game. But we also put one disease cube in each adjacent city. What is the nuclear symbol token?

Use one from your copy of BSG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David TenBrook
msg tools
Retrace Your Steps

Randomly shuffle back into the Player Draw Pile the number of cards equal to the current Infection Rate. Epidemic, Special Event, and Mutation Event cards cannot be included.

We have found this to be a great addition because it gives us (at max) two extra turns, which often is the difference between life and death. However, because its efficacy depends on holding onto it until late in the game, it only shuffles city cards, and it does so randomly, it means that it doesn't seem unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSandman7654321 wrote:
Retrace Your Steps

Randomly shuffle back into the Player Draw Pile the number of cards equal to the current Infection Rate. Epidemic, Special Event, and Mutation Event cards cannot be included.

We have found this to be a great addition because it gives us (at max) two extra turns, which often is the difference between life and death. However, because its efficacy depends on holding onto it until late in the game, it only shuffles city cards, and it does so randomly, it means that it doesn't seem unbalanced.

How do you ensure Epidemics already in the deck are still spread out? I would think this would screw up all the setup you did at the beginning to ensure that there was an Epidemic in each 1/5th of the deck (for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David TenBrook
msg tools
mkrajew wrote:

How do you ensure Epidemics already in the deck are still spread out? I would think this would screw up all the setup you did at the beginning to ensure that there was an Epidemic in each 1/5th of the deck (for example).

Ah, well, in the beginning we just put the Epidemic cards in somewhat evenly and then shuffle the sucker to make the game totally random. So reshuffling cards in at a later time doesn't threaten homogeny since there wasn't really any in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notsure if this idea was mentioned, but how about a

Infectee Redistribution

If at least 2 cities linked to the city you are currently in are infected with three viruses, then you can redistribute the cubes in your surrounding cities as you like. (max 3 and min of 0 per city)

Have not tried to play it yet, but I think this will help out in emergency situations when an epidemic and lead to multiple outbreaks and ending the game.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.