United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb

I hate seeing people with huge list of stuff that they want in trade and have little or nothing to offer. I have seen someone that wanted 164 games in trade and was trading 0. Come on people! If you want something in trade, you have to have something to trade. I mean really, do people expect someone to offer them a trade for nothing? As a rule of thumb, shouldn't the number of games a person wants in trade be no more than five times what that person has in trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize there was a rule. I must have missed that day.

I have a huge number of games I "want" and I have them listed as wanted for trade because its my preferred method of acquiring new games. All it takes is for each player to match on one game. Having said that its nice to have more than the regular thrift chaff in your for trade list as well. I would think the more wants I have listed the easier that match will be to make. With 95 trades to date its worked pretty good.

What bugs me is finding the prefect match and then seeing the person hasn't logged on in two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need that pacifier in your avatar more than your child.

I admit I have more games wanted than for trade. So? First of all, the games I want tend to be valued for more than the games I have for trade (usually remnants of collections I've acquired). Second, I'm a very patient person, and don't need to be rushed into trades; I know I'll get my highest priorities eventually.

But if you really want to trade 1-for-1 with my collection, I'll happily trade my copy of Cheapass Games' Vegas for someone's Barbarossa: Army Group Center, from GMT. Geekmail me if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty informal system, and people use the features in a variety of different ways that make sense to them. Send a friendly message about what games you're interested in. Complaining about it here won't do you any good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I agree, somewhat. I've even had people send me offers for [insert something RIDICULOUS] and have nothing in their trade assortment at all.

The frustrating part of it is, its not even a logical BEGINNING. I've exchanged ten or fifteen GeekMails with people who know what they want and have stuff to trade and HAVE traded successfully before and we still have to iron stuff out.

No, I'd rather NOT begin by trying to search for what someone with no real clue MIGHT trade, thank you.

I think the reaction to the OP is a little harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
What bugs me is finding the prefect match and then seeing the person hasn't logged on in two years.

It also frustrates me when I see someone with a trade that has not logged in in two years.

mistermarino wrote:
Complaining about it here won't do you any good!

On the contrary. It does a lot of good. Most people complain just to have someone validate their feelings. I don't want to change anything. People here should put what they want on their lists. I'm just expressing my frustration with the difficulty of finding a specific game. Quote - "It's the situation that a pain in the ass."

J.L.Robert wrote:
I admit I have more games wanted than for trade. So?

While you may disagree with what I am saying, at least all of the posters here have a reasonable number of game for trade. I am talking about those with a wide disparity.

Drew1365 wrote:
The neat thing about BGG is that you can use the features however you like. :D

True, but to me a trade list serves a specific function, to facilitate trades, which would be the exchange of games. Without a game to trade, I would think you might list them as "want to buy".

Zelif wrote:
No, I agree, somewhat.

Thank you! Finally, someone to validate my feelings.:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry man, it's waaaay too much trouble for me to edit my wanted list whenever my trade bait is running low. I just mark things as wanted when I want them.

I wish the system would allow filtering out people who haven't logged in recently, though. That'd be handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone else said above, my want list grows boundlessly, shrinking only when I acquire a game from it. Conversely, my trade list tends to fluctuate a lot. Since I've done a number of math trades, I often end up trading away many games on my trade list, acquiring only one (if any) games from my my want list. I figure, better to get games I might like than keep games I know I'm not playing.

Anyway, as everyone said, the only real problem with trading is the searches turning up people who haven't logged in in two years. Honestly, all the GeekDo, RPGgeek, other enhancements, I'd trade them all in a heartbeat for that one fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate seeing trade lists that don't have games that I want!

I want someone to validate my feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:
I hate seeing trade lists that don't have games that I want!

I want someone to validate my feelings.

I agree with this sentiment, completely. However, I'm not sure if we can force people to do this...much as I wish we might...

But, in response to the other two commentaries, I add stuff to my wishlist all the time. I don't expect many of those to be available for trade from anyone, or for anything that *I* have. So, I maintain some things on both "Want in trade" and "Wishlist" status, but (guessing here without checking) my Wishlist is more encompassing than my "Want in trade" list.

Maybe. I also put stuff on my "Want in trade" list that I think I might be willing to trade for, but will be unlikely to uncover for sale. Does any of this make any sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biomage wrote:
I don't want to change anything.

Oh, I do. Some of these things'll never change until and unless they are fearlessly pointed out to the people who do them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mickelsen
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The neat thing about BGG is that you can use the features however you like.

No, I can't! *

Now, where's that cursed 'thumbs down' button... ?

* and you can't MAKE ME!!! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.